Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...passport-that-combines-value-and-flexibility/

"At the Disneyland Resort, we know guests are continuously looking for easier ways to plan their visits with options that fit their individual needs. In addition to offering a variety of ticket options and special events, we are excited to introduce the Disney Flex Passport, a new Annual Passport.

As our theme parks have increased in popularity, more and more guests wish to experience the resort’s uniquely Disney magic. That’s why we are introducing a reservation system through Disney Flex Passport. We are always considering new ways to continue to deliver a world-class guest experience, and introducing a reservation system will allow us to continue that legacy while better distributing attendance throughout the year.

Starting May 21, guests can purchase the Disney Flex Passport; which offers multiple ways to visit Disneyland Resort—combining value and flexibility. Flex Passholders will have the opportunity to access one or both Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park on select good-to-go days, with limited blockout days, plus make reservations on other days for more access. Plans can be managed through the website and the Disneyland app, where they can access an interactive calendar and book a reservation. Guests can hold two reservation days up to 30 days in advance with the new passport, while also enjoying good-to-go days*.

Providing guests with options that meet their budgets—including a monthly payment plan for California residents**—continues to be a priority for Disneyland Resort. Disney Flex Passport also includes benefits such as dining and merchandise discounts***.

This is an incredibly extraordinary time at Disneyland Resort as we embark on our next phase of significant growth with our largest expansion in the history of Disneyland park, Star Wars: Galaxy’s EdgeϮ. Spanning 14-acres, the epic new land will be the most ambitious, immersive and transformative land we’ve ever created in a Disney park. Guests also will be able to enjoy a new Super Hero-themed land in Disney California Adventure park in 2020, while Disneyland Resort guests will continue to enjoy favorite attractions, shows, characters, favorite holiday traditions and special festivals throughout the year, with so much more coming soon!

*The number of reservations available each day is limited. Theme park admission and access to experiences and services may be restricted or unavailable due to capacity, closures or other factors. Admission excludes activities/events separately priced. Please see Disneyland.com/FlexPassport for restrictions on reservations and for the full rules and policies of the Disney Flex Passport. Attractions, entertainment and offerings subject to change without notice.

**Monthly Payments option valid only for California Residents, 18 years or older with valid ID, and living in ZIP Codes 90000–96199. Subject to restrictions, including a retail installment agreement, and change without notice.

***Check Disneyland.com/apdiscounts for applicable dining and merchandise offer restrictions and expiration dates.

ϮReservations and valid theme park admission required to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge between May 31 and June 23, 2019. After June 23, no reservations required, and Disneyland® Park, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences will be subject to capacity."

Huh, well this is interesting news. I wonder how many reservations they allow per reservation required day.

More info:

The cost is $599/year (so slightly less than the Deluxe AP). Discounts are the same as for the Deluxe and SoCal levels (10% dining, merchandise).

The blockout calendar is divided into 3 types: Green - can visit the park, no reservation needed. Blue - reservation needed (can hold up to 2 in a 30-day period). Gray - complete blockout. You can cancel the reservation up to 1 day prior to the date. If you don't show up for 3 reservations in a 90-day window, then you cannot book anymore reservations for 30 days after your third no-show. The reservations can be for 1 park or both parks (I assume different blockout dates will apply).

Last edited:

Thanks for those calendars. This looks to me that it’s $200 more than SoCal and SoCal calendar with the added benefit of making reservations on certain blockout dates. Will depend on reservation availability and need for pre-planning to see if it works well for folks.

This pass kind of screws over Deluxe passholders for this summer.

On the other hand, I suppose Disney isn't expecting massive crowds this summer after all...

Does anyone think they might unblock the Deluxe APs at some point this summer?

This is what I am wondering. This could be a great option for me, but I wonder how difficult it will be to make reservations.
It will be very interesting to see how this works out in practice. I think if you have a wide net of availability and are local enough to plan a trip in 30 days or less, this basically guarantees the ability to visit sometime over the summer and see SWGE, though... which I imagine they’re hoping is a tempting option for all the lower-level APs who didn’t renew this year.

I guess if the pass becomes super popular, maybe it will be harder to get reservations, but at least initially, you’re not competing with that many people, right?

I saw no mention made of parking so I presume that it's not included. At $599, I wouldn’t expect it to be. About 18 months ago, I recouped the cost of my AP just in parking. With the constantly rising costs of APs, I'm not sure I'll be able to do that again. Not unless I start to hit the park twice a week every week ;-).

Last edited:
This pass kind of screws over Deluxe passholders for this summer.

On the other hand, I suppose Disney isn't expecting massive crowds this summer after all...

Does anyone think they might unblock the Deluxe APs at some point this summer?
I wonder if they’ll let current Deluxe passholders switch to this one.

The hotels have SO MUCH AVAILABILITY this summer. And I don’t personally know a single Deluxe or SoCal passholder who renewed. They all let their passes lapse. This option definitely speaks to some concern on Disney’s part...

So, a more nuanced comparison for Deluxe vs Flex, Disneyland only (because I'm procrastinating at work):

Gray - Both unblocked
Red - Deluxe guaranteed, Flex has to get a reservation
Pink - Deluxe blocked, Flex has to get a reservation

For the dates from May 21 - October 31
Total days: 164
Deluxe days possible: 91
Flex days guaranteed: 40
Flex days possible: 164
upload_2019-5-9_16-48-44.png

It looks good, unless you want to go on a summer vacation. However it could work as an upgrade after the first trip. The old DAP we've had in the past is not good for summer vacations now either.

I wonder if they’ll let current Deluxe passholders switch to this one.

The hotels have SO MUCH AVAILABILITY this summer. And I don’t personally know a single Deluxe or SoCal passholder who renewed. They all let their passes lapse. This option definitely speaks to some concern on Disney’s part...
Obviously, the goal is to get more people into the park on "lighter" days. And I guess this means the SoCal passes that allow you to basically only visit on lighter days isn't working? And/or there is a backlash against cost or access with the lower tier APs. So how do they provide more incentive, without opening up more days to everyone all the time? I guess this is the answer.

My first thoughts are: well, there goes whatever was left of what we consider "light" days now! And... here comes another increase in the cost of the Signature AP!

I agree this seems to be in response to guests who are not happy with current SoCal/Deluxe options currently. It'll be interesting to see if this is the solution to getting those people back.

It will be very interesting to see how this works out in practice. I think if you have a wide net of availability and are local enough to plan a trip in 30 days or less, this basically guarantees the ability to visit sometime over the summer and see SWGE, though... which I imagine they’re hoping is a tempting option for all the lower-level APs who didn’t renew this year.

I guess if the pass becomes super popular, maybe it will be harder to get reservations, but at least initially, you’re not competing with that many people, right?

For me personally, the issue is being able to get the reservation last minute. I rarely know if I'm going to DL 30 days in advance. Will you have to be on at midnight (or whatever time) exactly 30 days in advance to get a reservation? Or will I be able to make one 3 days in advance if I decide I want to go this weekend?

I had a SoCal pass for 2 years and a Signature pass for 3 years (or the other way around...). I let it lapse in October of last year because I got busier and it got so much more expensive. Seems like they're trying to draw back people like me.

I decided to do DCA too! Less of an impact since Deluxe is pretty much unblocked all summer.

Gray - Both unblocked
Red - Deluxe guaranteed, Flex has to get a reservation
Pink - Deluxe blocked, Flex has to get a reservation

For the dates from May 21 - October 31
Total days: 164
Deluxe days possible: 160
Flex days guaranteed: 53
Flex days possible: 164​

upload_2019-5-9_16-56-19.png

For me personally, the issue is being able to get the reservation last minute. I rarely know if I'm going to DL 30 days in advance. Will you have to be on at midnight (or whatever time) exactly 30 days in advance to get a reservation? Or will I be able to make one 3 days in advance if I decide I want to go this weekend?

I had a SoCal pass for 2 years and a Signature pass for 3 years (or the other way around...). I let it lapse in October of last year because I got busier and it got so much more expensive. Seems like they're trying to draw back people like me.
What’s fascinating is that Disney itself can’t possibly predict that right now. So much will depend on how many people buy this and what their planning patterns are.

I will say that with only two reservations possible every 30 days, it seems that there should be decent availability. And maybe they can even add more slots as days approach and other metrics show them that attendance looks low?

I’d love to see the data driving all of this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!