Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

Thanks, this is good information and suggests my Saturday to Tuesday plan might work, especially since we'd likely be flying out in the early evening as the party crowds are arriving. Of course, it occurred to me last night that my in-laws would be eligible for Magic Morning Saturday but we won't, which is a complicating factor (do we (1) have them go in and get through a few rides and then meet up after rope drop, (2) all go in together with the rope drop crowd and focus on the less-popular FL rides that I think the littles would like -- carousel, Casey Jr., storybook land boats, teacups; or (3) start with DCA Saturday instead which is unappealing since I think my 5-year old nephew will need some time to warm up to the bigger rides and DL seems like it's better to ease him in. If we picked option (2) or (3) they could possibly use MM on Tuesday. None of them are morning people, so I have some doubt about getting them to rope drop, let alone MM.
I'd try to get them to head to MM on Saturday and point them in the direction of starting with Dumbo and the carousel. Even if they don't make it in for the full hour of MM it is a good head start on some of FL.
For first timer little kiddos I generally start with Dumbo since it is outside and they can see what will happen before they commit to it. Then carousel, the teacups and then Alice as the introduction to dark rides. You could plan to enter at about half hour into MM and they could just walk in while you wait at the ropes as by that time they are generally letting everyone in to line up for regular rope drop. Using MM on Tuesday is tough if that is your checkout day, since you will have to be packed up and ready to go early and you will likely be tired from staying out later in the evenings. Your other option would be to make a early dining reservation so that you got into the park with the MM crowd and it might incentivize the non-morning people to get up early if you are starting with a character breakfast or something.

ETA: I decided I'll make my own thread since this is not exactly fully related to flex pass (only that I reserved it with my pass)

Last edited:
I'd try to get them to head to MM on Saturday and point them in the direction of starting with Dumbo and the carousel. Even if they don't make it in for the full hour of MM it is a good head start on some of FL.
For first timer little kiddos I generally start with Dumbo since it is outside and they can see what will happen before they commit to it. Then carousel, the teacups and then Alice as the introduction to dark rides. You could plan to enter at about half hour into MM and they could just walk in while you wait at the ropes as by that time they are generally letting everyone in to line up for regular rope drop. Using MM on Tuesday is tough if that is your checkout day, since you will have to be packed up and ready to go early and you will likely be tired from staying out later in the evenings. Your other option would be to make a early dining reservation so that you got into the park with the MM crowd and it might incentivize the non-morning people to get up early if you are starting with a character breakfast or something.

That is a good point about trying to do MM on checkout day. Another wild card factor will be the flight times down on Friday and what time the kids get to bed Friday night. I think my nephew tends to wake up early anyway and maybe in a small hotel room he will prod the rest of them to get up and out. What may end up happening is BIL/SIL/Niece/Nephew get going and we go with them and MIL/FIL catch up at their leisure.

Becoming very unpredictable. First next Friday(Day After Thanksgiving) was blocked at CA Adventure, but DL was open. Now CA Adventure is open, but DL is blocked. And both are still open on Thanksgiving Day, which still surprises me. I also see that Monday 11/25 is blocked at DL, but have no idea why.

I hear that it's supposed to rain next Friday, which I imagine would cause many who have DL booked, will cancel their reservations. I have Both Parks reserved for Saturday 11/30, as I thought that would be a popular day, but will wait to see if it's supposed to rain, and adjust accordingly.

Becoming very unpredictable. First next Friday(Day After Thanksgiving) was blocked at CA Adventure, but DL was open. Now CA Adventure is open, but DL is blocked. And both are still open on Thanksgiving Day, which still surprises me. I also see that Monday 11/25 is blocked at DL, but have no idea why.

I hear that it's supposed to rain next Friday, which I imagine would cause many who have DL booked, will cancel their reservations. I have Both Parks reserved for Saturday 11/30, as I thought that would be a popular day, but will wait to see if it's supposed to rain, and adjust accordingly.
Must have been a glitch as 11/25 is available for both now. The supply is very dynamic these days. I am very worried about MLK weekend, as we are flying in and Sat/Sun/Mon are all reservations required. Will see what happens...

What happened? It looks like every day is blocked off this coming week.

I dont think it was people booking (there’s a supposed storm coming up), but more of a Disney blocking.

What happened? It looks like every day is blocked off this coming week.

I dont think it was people booking (there’s a supposed storm coming up), but more of a Disney blocking.
Was wondering the same thing! We are driving out from Phoenix on Friday and have reservations for Friday and Saturday but will need one for Sunday. Hopefully we can still get them after we scan into the parks on Friday!

Yep, I’m kind of bummed. When we first decided to go with the Flex AP’s, there were hardly ever any unavailable dates. I had been watching it for months before deciding. I know it’s a busy time of year, but I am hoping this isn’t just a taste of what’s to come. I have a feeling it’s going to get even harder to secure reservations in the future.
I moved our whole trip back two weeks because we were one day late from 30 days out reserving DL on a Saturday. Now we are headed there this Friday instead. I reserved for Sat and Sun because those were the most important dates to us. I was planning on possibly canceling our Sunday reservations come Friday, making Friday reservations, and then reserving Sunday again after entering on Friday. But now Friday is unavailable for both parks. I’m super bummed. I guess Friday will just be a DTD day for us. We are used to 3 days Disney trips. I guess we probably will need to get used to shortening the trips. It’s so hard with little ones!

Yep, I’m kind of bummed. When we first decided to go with the Flex AP’s, there were hardly ever any unavailable dates. I had been watching it for months before deciding. I know it’s a busy time of year, but I am hoping this isn’t just a taste of what’s to come. I have a feeling it’s going to get even harder to secure reservations in the future.
I moved our whole trip back two weeks because we were one day late from 30 days out reserving DL on a Saturday. Now we are headed there this Friday instead. I reserved for Sat and Sun because those were the most important dates to us. I was planning on possibly canceling our Sunday reservations come Friday, making Friday reservations, and then reserving Sunday again after entering on Friday. But now Friday is unavailable for both parks. I’m super bummed. I guess Friday will just be a DTD day for us. We are used to 3 days Disney trips. I guess we probably will need to get used to shortening the trips. It’s so hard with little ones!
It is supposed to rain on Friday. If it looks like that's going to happen, I would keep checking because people will cancel.

We bought FPs in October, and taking into account the price we paid for the park tickets that we upgraded from that trip the FP, we only needed 2 (or a little less) park days to break even for the year, and anything else was going to be a savings over our usual tickets. We are coming for MLK and planning Sat/Sun/Mon and all are reservations required. I’m sure we will be back in summer. So I think hopefully it will be ok...

This just reiterates that the “flex” in Flex Pass is the flexibility required of the PASSHOLDER, since your plans may get ruined if there are no reservations. Thus the lower price.

We will be upgrading next month when we visit. It works really well for us because many of our trips from Phoenix end up only being two days. As long as it never gets so busy that you can’t get the two days you want, it will be better than the Deluxe passes we got back in 2018.

We will be upgrading next month when we visit. It works really well for us because many of our trips from Phoenix end up only being two days. As long as it never gets so busy that you can’t get the two days you want, it will be better than the Deluxe passes we got back in 2018.
This is what is going to be interesting to me. I know OP here said that they were on right at 7am and couldn’t get both parks for a day of Veteran’s weekend, I think. But then the days eventually opened up. So as long as we can get 2 days in both parks and then maybe one park for the 3rd day, I will be happy (3rd day is usually only a few hours since we fly home that day). But if Disney just shuts down reservations for a day from the get go at 30 days because they feel it will be too crowded, then I will be disappointed in the pass.

I am really sorry if this has been covered..

But is it possible to upgrade a 5 day hopper to this? I have heard people talk about upgrading but never paid attention because I never thought I would ever get an annual pass. Now that I have a taste of going solo I would love to sneak out every once in a blue moon when I have extra airline points, or tickets go on sale.

This is what is going to be interesting to me. I know OP here said that they were on right at 7am and couldn’t get both parks for a day of Veteran’s weekend, I think. But then the days eventually opened up. So as long as we can get 2 days in both parks and then maybe one park for the 3rd day, I will be happy (3rd day is usually only a few hours since we fly home that day). But if Disney just shuts down reservations for a day from the get go at 30 days because they feel it will be too crowded, then I will be disappointed in the pass.
I've been following along but get a little confused. So when the days open up on the 30 day mark, higher crowd days are blocked by disney? Or is it a glitch? I feel like I read somewhere that it's a glitch and then it eventually opens..then it follows the typical pattern of available and not-available.

What would the cost be of upgrading a 5 day parkhopper with maxpass to a flexpass? Can this only be done once the parkhopper ticket is activated?

I've been following along but get a little confused. So when the days open up on the 30 day mark, higher crowd days are blocked by disney? Or is it a glitch? I feel like I read somewhere that it's a glitch and then it eventually opens..then it follows the typical pattern of available and not-available.
I don’t think anyone really knows what is going on behind the curtain. For the most part, people here have said that if you are on there at 7am on the dot, you will get both parks for the day you want. If you aren’t on at 7am, sometimes the reservations get booked up, but often availability for at least one park opens back up as people presumably cancel (since there is an eventual penalty if you no show too often). But some days have just stayed perpetually booked after the first day per my watching (but no one can watch “all the time” so maybe it opens up for a little bit). Thanksgiving week was open at 30 days out and less, up until this weekend (Friday was off and on booked all along). Then suddenly it is largely booked all the week of Thanksgiving as of today. So I believe they are responding to anticipated demand at times, as opposed to having just a set amount of reservations and then that’s it. But no one really knows. Some people here think it is just a set number of reservations, and availability is just locked in by that. I think they “change the availability” in response to anticipated crowds, in addition to having a set upper limit of reservations. Why wouldn’t they dynamically lower the available reservations for FP users if it looks like crowds are going to be high (based on hotel occupancy or other metrics)? They didn’t promise us FP users any particular system to how many reservations are available.

What would the cost be of upgrading a 5 day parkhopper with maxpass to a flexpass? Can this only be done once the parkhopper ticket is activated?
For an adult ticket, that would have an upgrade value of $470. Flex pass is $599, plus $100 per year for Max Pass, so $699. So the cost to upgrade would be $229, if my math is correct. There is no child’s pricing for Flex Pass, so the cost to upgrade a child’s ticket to FP is higher. It is easiest for the upgrade if MP if pre purchased on your 5 day hopper, but the ticket booth may apply the MP price if you bought it day by day.

You have to do it after you have used the ticket for at least one day, but before the end of the last day of use, by my understanding.

Some people reported being able to get Veteran’s Day weekend reservations right when it opened up, and some reported they were unable to. I don’t think it is Disney blocking things automatically when they think it will be crowded, there is just higher demand for those days so getting on at 7am may not guarantee a reservation for more popular days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!