• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight canceled - what are my options? UPDATE

horseshowmom

DIS Veteran
DH and I are booked on a Northwest flight out of Tupelo, MS at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning (connection in Memphis to go to Phoenix). One hour ago (9:30 p.m. CST) I get a call telling me the flight out of Tupelo is canceled. Tupelo's about 100 miles from Memphis.

DH and I have to be in Phoenix by tomorrow afternoon (field course for our master's degrees, and we've got to meet our group). The only Northwest flight that will get me there by the time I need to be there is the connection I have to make in Memphis.

Sooo, now I have to make it to Memphis by 7:15 a.m. in time for the 8:30 a.m. flight to Phoenix. Parking is $3 a day in Tupelo, $8-10 a day in Memphis (we'll be gone 10 days). I also paid more for the flight from Tupelo than I would have if I'd just booked Memphis. Plus, now I've got to get myself there.

I deserve something out of this. Do I have any recourses? Somebody please help!

You're probably arriving in Memphis as I'm typing this, but hopefully you'll read this and other responses when you get back.

My suggestion would be to call Northwest customer service, explain what happened (but I doubt you'll get very far with someone on the phone), and find out the name of a supervisor you can either speak to or write a letter to. Then write a detailed letter outlining what happened, the nearly last minute notification of your flight's cancellation, how much more you paid for the flight from Tupelo vs. how much the flight direct from Memphis would have been (if you have something telling the exact cost, great; if not, estimate as best you can from memory), the inconvenience of the early morning drive to Memphis, the cost of the more expensive parking, and anything else I haven't thought of.

Ask for something definite, like a refund of the difference between flying from Tupelo vs. flying from Memphis plus the difference in the parking. They might offer credit toward a future flight, and take that if you're fine with it. If you'd consider that, you might even state that in your letter.

In any event, I think they owe you something.

Thanks for your response! We got back late last night and after hiking around in the desert and Grand Canyon identifying rock formations and plant life, I'm about dead. I'm planning on checking with the airline today if I get a chance (I have to take DD to a horse clinic in Jackson - 4 hours away - and I've got to get my clothes washed to repack!).

If anyone else has a response, please add!

Thanks again!
Sheila

P.S. I think what you've suggested is the best way to go probably.

I emailed Customer Relations, and the person who responded was very helpful. Her response only said that they would be crediting my credit card with the difference in fare and that they would be sending me something in the mail to try to make up for the inconvenience (no specifics).

We received $300 in vouchers ($150 each) plus a letter that stated they were crediting my card for $186.54. Considering the difference in the ticket when I made the reservation (based on leaving Memphis or Tupelo) was less than $10 each, they were very generous. When I emailed them, I didn't specify an amount. I just assumed that they had that in their system.

All in all it turned out well. Memphis parking was actually $11 per day, but my parents took us to the airport and saved the parking fees too.

Needless to say, the vouchers will be used for our next Orlando trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter