Flight of Passage and lighting- need info for epileptic

coachyo

DIS Veteran
So we’re going in June 2020 and have not been since FOP started. DD has seizures and a friend told me there was a part of the ride with heavy flashes going on. Our daughter has learned to close her eyes and put her head down and does very well. Whenever we can we learn where and when this happens and we prepare for it and she does great. Anyone have 1st hand experience on when or know a landmark on the ride that would warn her and she could just close eyes? Know how long that part lasts?

Thanks for any help, YO

It’s right at the beginning before the film starts. Maybe find a YouTube video (without watching once the film starts if you don’t want to be spoiled) so you get an idea for when exactly it comes?

Yes, intense flashes at the beginning and end. I too would recommend watching a youtube clip. To be safe I would probably shut my eyes and tuck my head down after getting on the ride vehicle and the restraints click in, and then at the end, you will know when you "land," do the same then. If I remember right, there are small flashes on the console right in front of you at the beginning while you are waiting for the ride to really start.

Preshow 1 - may have a ‘scan’ with red lights - kind of a pulsating. Second scan to match with an Avatar doesn’t have any bright lights

Preshow 2 - no bright or flashing lights

Show area while waiting for all riders to get seated - blue slow pulsating lights at foot level and some small flashes on the panel and screen in front of you. Flashes are random.

Just before take off , room completely dark, bright random flashes change to black with single random blinking lights. Transforms to a sequence like ‘jump to light speed’ then light tunnel effect. Whole sequence probably 10-20 sec.

During ride, tiny blinking lights in cave

Ending ride - reverse of same sequence as beginning, but much shorter

DGsAtBLT & Grumpy by Birth & Sue,
Thank you all so much for your thorough information about Avatar and for the link. I’ve seen it before but it is good info to look at and refresh my memory.
Have a great day.
YO

I have a seizure disorder and have learned—sadly late in life—that covering only one eye is the best way to prevent seizures from flashing lights. I hope all goes well and your family has a great time. https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/triggers-seizures/photosensitivity-and-seizures
:-)
That was what we’ve found too.
A lot of people cover/shut both eyes or turn away, but the advice from the Epilepsy website to cover only one eye is best.
The reason I’ve read is that turning away or covering/shutting both eyes still sends the same information to the brain from both eyes. Covering only one eye sends different information to the brain from each eye and breaks up the stimulation.

:-)
That was what we’ve found too.
A lot of people cover/shut both eyes or turn away, but the advice from the Epilepsy website to cover only one eye is best.
The reason I’ve read is that turning away or covering/shutting both eyes still sends the same information to the brain from both eyes. Covering only one eye sends different information to the brain from each eye and breaks up the stimulation.

Oddly enough, that same advice works for those of us with chronic severe BPPV. When I get the "spins" really badly, I close one eye, then "swap" eyes (keeping one open and the other closed) until it goes away. Typically, I only have a couple of really bad episodes per year, and it helps almost instantly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!