Flight of Passage at 80?

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
My FIL is going with us to WDW this month.
I happened to snag a FPs for FOP! Neither DH nor I have ridden previously so we don’t know how intense it is. My FIL is 80 but is in good health overall. We just wondered what others had to say about the ride’s intensity for a senior (or me for that matter!);)

Thanks so much!

My FIL is going with us to WDW this month.
I happened to snag a FPs for FOP! Neither DH nor I have ridden previously so we don’t know how intense it is. My FIL is 80 but is in good health overall. We just wondered what others had to say about the ride’s intensity for a senior (or me for that matter!);)

Thanks so much!
It’s simulated, but with some real movement. But the movement is not the kind that jerks your body around or gives you whiplash the way the big Harry Potter ride does.

It’s simulated, but with some real movement. But the movement is not the kind that jerks your body around or gives you whiplash the way the big Harry Potter ride does.

Thank you for your thoughts!
When you say “some real movement” are there any drops? Or are they ones where you can shut your eyes to avoid them?

Also, any strong possibilities of motion sickness?

Thanks!

Thank you for your thoughts!
When you say “some real movement” are there any drops? Or are they ones where you can shut your eyes to avoid them?

Also, any strong possibilities of motion sickness?

Thanks!
It uses some actual movement along with the 3D film to make you feel like you are suddenly swooping downward at times, but I wouldn’t call it a “drop”. Nothing at all like Tower of Terror. I never get motion sickness so I’m not an expert on that. I will say this, I don’t ride any kind of roller coaster, not even “kiddie” roller coasters or even Splash Mountain. I rode tower of terror once, and that was way too much terror for me, so never again! But, I LOVE Flight of Passage! I have been lucky enough to ride it 12 times so far, and I’m planning to ride some more next week. In January I rode it four times in a row with some extra special fast passes I received. Please don’t even think of shutting your eyes! Take a big breath, plant a huge smile on your face, and go with it!
Enjoy all the awesomeness!

My husband rode FOP at 80 and he had no problem.

My understanding is if you can get motion sickness then it could be a problem.

If your father has been to Disney World before and he has handled Misson Space (the rougher side), Star Wars, and Soarin' I think he would be fine.

The "vehicle", if you call it that, is essentially almost like a stationary bike. The 3D imagery I believe makes the "dips", or "drops" seem more dramatic than what you actually feel, or what is truly occurring on the bike. Other than a few might experience motion sickness (if individuals are prone to that), the only thing I tell people is that if you have a fear of heights it may not be good to ride.

All in all, should be fine if they do not have a fear of heights and have no issues with motion sickness.

As others have said, if he is in good health he should be fine. I think it helps in that the restraint system does a good job of making sure you are securely fasted and holding you in.

Re: the restraints, some people do have difficulty fitting comfortably into them. As someone who's tall and a bit hefty I felt like I had to contort/compress myself to fit into the restraints, which could be difficult for an older person. If he's of average stature, though, he should be fine (though one of the things likely to cause issues is, strangely enough, having large calves).

DW and I took her parents to WDW in January. FIL is 75. Planning the trip, he talked about wanting to ride all the rides, despite not having been in almost 20 years. DW was concerned about the toll the roller coasters might take on him, though he is in good health. He rode all of the BTMRR, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Rockin' Roller Coaster, and Expedition Everest with no problem. Soarin', no problem. FOP wiped him out. We do not know why. He was disoriented getting off the ride and had to sit down for a while. We think it had something to do with the 3D effects, as he mentioned having similar reaction to Muppets 3D at Hollywood Studios the next day.

My friend is easily disoriented. Early 60s. He had to close his eyes through much of FOP. I was fine. I have big calves but don't recall being uncomfortable. It's a great ride but it's pretty intense. Wasn't there a guy who had a heart attack after a Universal ride and he was in his 30s? The individual has to know if they can take intense rides when there are warnings signs and have to take responsibility.

My Mom is in excellent health and rode FOP last year at aged 86. She enjoyed it very much and plans to ride it again next time we go!

Enjoy!

I have a tendency to get motion sick if its a screen and I'm watching it "swoop" around, I closed my eyes a few times on FOP, but was fine otherwise. My mom is 70 and it's her favorite ride. I will add, that while I get motion sick with a moving screen, I can ride any roller coaster and flip upside down and be fine, so I don't get that sick.

My mom who is in a WC at wdw most of the time did it at 87 with no problems! Actually River journey was much more difficult to get in/out of.

I am afraid of everything and will no longer do TOT or SP anymore. HOwever, I did do FOP and it was AMAZING. You can always just close your eyes if it gets a bit too much. I am nervous about slinky.....but I do have a FP so I'll try to be brave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!