Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

:yay: Bringing back this thread because I’m at AK and got on FOP!

I couldn’t get the leg restraints to close last trip so this was my first time. I’ve lost about 30 lbs since then and I guess that made the difference! The CM just had to give the restraint a little push.

Just thought I'd update. I didn't fit last visit, so i spent the last year losing 42 of my 374 pounds and about three inches from my waist -- I'm about a 47 waist now -- 48s are loose, 46s are tight. I'm 6-2. I worked hard on losing, and fitting on this ride was a primary motivator. Not because I wanted to ride it so much, but because I couldn't.

So July 4th we all went on it. I was pretty confident because the CM had told me I was close before.

Still didn't close. CM tried hard, but it wouldn't click. In front of my wife and kids. A very bad moment. He said I was right on the cusp, but not quite there.

Gave us all two anytimes for my inconvenience, and frankly, that ended up saving a rainy July 4th night because it let us get out before the downpour began. But it still sucked.

So here's my advice to someone. I admit I am rather maudlin about the whole thing. Unless you have a completely supportive group with you -- one that will not be embarrassed of you or make you feel embarrassed yourself -- find a way to do it alone. Have to use the bathroom and tell them to go on ahead with out you, and then be in a later room. Something. Don't put yourself in that position if you can avoid it.

Or, if you're not sure, don't try. It's just a three minute ride at an amusement park. it ain't worth a walk of shame.

I think. Of course, i don't know, because I'm still too fat.

Just thought I'd update. I didn't fit last visit, so i spent the last year losing 42 of my 374 pounds and about three inches from my waist -- I'm about a 47 waist now -- 48s are loose, 46s are tight. I'm 6-2. I worked hard on losing, and fitting on this ride was a primary motivator. Not because I wanted to ride it so much, but because I couldn't.

I love this; you're working hard so therefore, NO SHAME at all. Just keep at it whiporee, you got my support!

So July 4th we all went on it. I was pretty confident because the CM had told me I was close before.

Still didn't close. CM tried hard, but it wouldn't click. In front of my wife and kids. A very bad moment. He said I was right on the cusp, but not quite there.

Gave us all two anytimes for my inconvenience, and frankly, that ended up saving a rainy July 4th night because it let us get out before the downpour began. But it still sucked.

So here's my advice to someone. I admit I am rather maudlin about the whole thing. Unless you have a completely supportive group with you -- one that will not be embarrassed of you or make you feel embarrassed yourself -- find a way to do it alone. Have to use the bathroom and tell them to go on ahead with out you, and then be in a later room. Something. Don't put yourself in that position if you can avoid it.

Or, if you're not sure, don't try. It's just a three minute ride at an amusement park. it ain't worth a walk of shame.

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss. Keep it up! And please don't fret too much about not being able to ride. You will get there. I know as a person of size that you feel awful when that happens but I am sure your family did not perceive it as bad as you perceived it yourself. Focus on the positive - that you lost the weight- and keep trying. Your success will make those feelings go away.

I hated reading this because you felt ashamed that you couldn't fit on an amusement park ride, and not motivated that you were much closer this time than last. I am sorry that it was a bust after all that build up, but you said yourself that there was a noticeable difference. I know trips to Disney are expensive and not a given, but as long as your family is supportive I would hope they will be there the next time you visit. If they are around you during your weight loss then they know the work you're putting into it and will be that much happier for you when you do fit into the ride.

Congratulations to all here who have posted about their weight loss. Keep up the good work and don't listen to the fools and rude people who would comment on your appearance. You are doing a good thing for your overall health by losing weight and that's what is most important.

I have not been to AK since FOP opened so have not tried this ride yet. I am of pretty standard weight for my 5'4" height, but seeing those pictures of the bikes with the restraints gives me a little bit of a claustrophobic feeling. The setup just looks somewhat constraining and sometimes I get a little anxious in those situations.

:yay: Bringing back this thread because I’m at AK and got on FOP!

I couldn’t get the leg restraints to close last trip so this was my first time. I’ve lost about 30 lbs since then and I guess that made the difference! The CM just had to give the restraint a little push.
So glad you were able to ride! I'm heading there in about a month and I think we might be comparable in size. I'm trying to figure out if I'm likely to have a problem. Would you be willing to share your measurements and your calf measurements? If not, I understand! Thanks!

Hijacking - how are the people of size doing on slinky dog? I haven't heard yet!

I just found a You Tube channel "Pammie Parks Plus" which is awesome. She did a video for SDD on opening day and she fit comfortably. She's a size 30/32. She did a video for FOP (she wasn't able to ride), and other rides as well. She also gives accessibility information for each ride too. Check out her channel, she's really great.

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss.

Second, people don’t fit for a myriad of reasons. A really long leg, muscular calves, how you carry what weight you have, etc. I have read a lot of posts where people wear the same size clothes, and one fits and the other doesn’t. It seems the seats are designed for a particularly proportioned rider, and if you don’t match those proportions, you won’t fit.

Question-did you try the sample seat outside the ride first? We did that before our FP window even opened, and the ones who didn’t fit changed their FP to something else while the ones who did fit went on FOP. No one made anyone feel bad if they didn’t fit. We all agreed that the sample seat was a lot less traumatic than finding out at the last minute that it was a no go. Perhaps because there is a much higher percentage of people trying the sample seat that don’t fit, so no one feels like they stand out.

Don’t get discouraged! I hope you continue your weight loss journey regardless, and that you are able to fly next time if you still want to.

So glad you were able to ride! I'm heading there in about a month and I think we might be comparable in size. I'm trying to figure out if I'm likely to have a problem. Would you be willing to share your measurements and your calf measurements? If not, I understand! Thanks!
I actually just ordered a new tape measure because my kids lost my old one. Haha. So I'll be remeasuring when it comes in this weekend. I can PM you... but you need to have 10 posts on here first :)

Last edited:
Question-did you try the sample seat outside the ride first? We did that before our FP window even opened, and the ones who didn’t fit changed their FP to something else while the ones who did fit went on FOP.

Just FYI, I would NOT rely on the test seat. I rode FOP twice, on two separate visits about 7 months apart. Both times, I tried the test seat beforehand and the cast member told me I didn't fit. In fact, they said I "wasn't even close" to allowing the back support to close. Nevertheless, both times I was able to ride with no problems whatsoever. The back support closed automatically with no issue, no cast member assistance needed.

I'd say the test seat would be more useful for those with mobility issues, just to see if they can get their body in the right position to ride.

If you have a FP, the wait is reasonable. Its worth trying at least once because you might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm saying this with hesitation, because I hate it -- hate it -- when Disney's kindnesses get exploited.

But both times I didn't fit, the CM in the waiting room gave my party anytime FPs to make up for my inconvenience/embarrassment.

So if you're close, and you can handle the embarrassment of not fitting, then they might do the same for you. I don't think it's worth it, but that is the way it worked for me both times I didn't fit, and it might take away some of the sting.

I actually just ordered a new tape measure because my kids lost my old one. Haha. So I'll be remeasuring when it comes in this weekend. I can PM you... but you need to have 10 posts on here first :)

Awesome! Thank you so much. I will poke around the forums and be sure to have the 10 posts!

I wish Disney had made this ride more comfortable! It's an amazing ride, but we all felt uncomfortable on the ride. The way you have to sit forward so much then the leg restraints....wasn't great. My husband is a muscular guy 6'1 220. He could barely fit. Even at 5'3 118 I wasn't comfortable. My 70 lb 10 year old even complained. I would have liked a ride design to suit more people, if we had problems I'm sure a lot of people did.

I too thought they changed the way they allowed you to sit until my last ride. I'm not a huge person, I am 5'6 and approx 150. I normally don't have any issues but last week the CM pushed the back rest so far into me that I was squeezed between the front and back. My stomach was literally smashed into the front. Then he adjusted the legs so far that I couldn't place my feet flat down. I have never had my legs adjusted before. My feet were tip toed entire ride. I told him what he had done and he said he had to so I wouldn't fall out. I was so uncomfortable and didn't enjoy the ride. I have been on it at least 8 times now and never experienced a seat fit like that. It's made me not want to ride it again. I'm not sure if the CM was a new college intern and not properly trained in seat adjustments or what.

Actually I weight 352# standing at 5, 10, if you ask nice enough they will bring other cast members into the loading cabins and push till you fit. lol. I do it, and yes its tight, but i love that ride! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter