Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

I've just lost some weight myself, over 30 pounds, went down from size 24 to 18. I hope not to put too much back on during our trip :).
you will be amazed at how much better everything fits. congrats! I feel like even for the well known "small" rides (like over at universal, which I never went to because of that!) size 18 seems to be the threshold for fitting. FoP is not nearly as bad as some of those! But I do still get the disappointment of those who are used to how size friendly Disney is, before this ride no one ever gave it a second thought there.

Just wanted to post a recent update to this thread, as I read through most all of it before my trip as I worried about my size. I've been on this ride three times now, once during previews, once almost a year ago, and once this weekend. I'm 5'5 and was probably around 280 when I first rode during previews. I grew up dancing and have always had large calves (even when I was a size 0 as a teenager, I could never wear boots). The first ride, they spent a LOT of time trying to figure out how to close the leg restraints. It finally worked, but it took two CMs and a lot of trial and error.

I rode again this weekend, at 5'5, 300 pounds. 2x top, 26 bottoms. A CM did have to come close both the legs and back restraints, but it was literally a touch, not a huge push. And I fit. I think as time has gone on they've found what positioning works for most people and it's gotten easier to help larger guests like me fit.

Just wanted to post a recent update to this thread, as I read through most all of it before my trip as I worried about my size. I've been on this ride three times now, once during previews, once almost a year ago, and once this weekend. I'm 5'5 and was probably around 280 when I first rode during previews. I grew up dancing and have always had large calves (even when I was a size 0 as a teenager, I could never wear boots). The first ride, they spent a LOT of time trying to figure out how to close the leg restraints. It finally worked, but it took two CMs and a lot of trial and error.

I rode again this weekend, at 5'5, 300 pounds. 2x top, 26 bottoms. A CM did have to come close both the legs and back restraints, but it was literally a touch, not a huge push. And I fit. I think as time has gone on they've found what positioning works for most people and it's gotten easier to help larger guests like me fit.

That's a very hopeful update! Thank you for sharing your experience. I know my upper body will fit but I have huge calves and exercise doesn't seem to shrink them much.

This has made me feel so much better! I leave a month from tomorrow and this ride has kinda stressed me out. I am also 5' 5" and around 280 lbs (which I plan to try to lose some between now and the trip too). I carry my weight pretty evenly distributed. Thank you for the update, you have relieved my stress so much!

Really depends on the CM you get to help you. First time no problems. CM had to make a quick adjustment and leg restraint clicked in. However, 2nd time it would not. CM could not get it to work and was forced to give up. I've heard the same story from others. Either its knowledge of the CM or perhaps all seats aren't quite the same.

Ugghhh... booking FP's this morning for Feb trip, and I got one for our AK day, but am already nervous about them not being able to get the leg restraints clicked.

I just want everyone to know that maybe they've made more adjustments, but went yesterday was able to ride and I am very pooh sized. I am about 5 ft 11 inches, 362 pounds, 49.5 inch waist at hips, 55 inches at belly. Now don't get me wrong, it was a little bit of a struggle to fit, and I was thankful to have a big dude who pushed on the back restraint. That was my only issue. The calf restraints fit fine.

A few tips. #1, I hiked my shorts up as far as they could go. Like it was basically like a speedo. That allowed me to scoot as far up on the seat as possible. #2, once he started pushing, I just kept shimming and scooting and sucking in as much as I could. After about 30 to 45 seconds of that, I heard the magic click and I was on and it was the amazing ride I've ever been on in my entire life.

I hope for you fellow pooh-sized friends you can ride as well. But just wanted to share a success story for all those fail stories out there. Best of luck everyone! Let me know if you have any questions.

There is definitely a use for the leg restraints. If they weren't there you could definitely get the leverage needed to push yourself out of the back restraint. The leg restraints push your leg into the leg container and you would have to do a lot to get your leg out from those to them push yourself up from the back restraint.

When ever a CM (or TM) has to force the restraint closed there may be difference between them. Some people are stronger then others and some are willing to do anything and everything to get someone on a ride while others will do exactly what they are trained to do and no more. Heck even at Universal I've had some TMs assist in closing restraints when others say it is actually against company policy due to liability for a TM to assist.

It really does stink but it does appear this ride has a large range of reasons people aren't fitting. Big guys like John from Big Fat Panda are riding and then I'm seeing people smaller then him have issues so it is so hard to say that it is all people of size. Unfortunately for safety at some point someone just isn't going to be able to ride be it too short, too small, too tall, too big whatever. That is just reality and it boils down to safety.

Completely agree. I just rode it this weekend for the first time. And I had a pretty big dude as a CM who helped push a lot and get the back restraint to click. If it would have been some tiny cast member, I would say there is a very good chance I wouldn't have been able to ride it. So it does make a difference in the CM.

We were worried for my son last November when he rode it. He's around 5'9", weighs in the high 200s, and is a 2X, large upper body. His calves aren't large, but we were worried about his feet. We made sure he wore shoes without thick or high soles, and he did fine.

Hey Todd -- had you tried before and not fit? You sound about my size (I'm a little taller) and I've been shut down twice.

Don't know I'd give it another shot without losing another shot without losing 50 pounds, but I'm curious whether this was a retry or if it was your first attempt.

Thanks!

So heading to WDW in August.
Been following this thread. Really hoping I can ride. Here's my stats. Please let me know if anyone is similar. I look 50lbs lighter than I am mind you due to my well portioned muscle mass.
Height - 6'3
Weight - 325 and dropping (hoping to be under 300 by then)
Waist - 40inch
Calf size - 18 inches

I'm a thick and muscular farm boy. I've lost 135 lbs over the past year and half and my weight loss goal is to ride FOP... Soooooo fingers crossed.

My problem is that I do not touch the ground in many ride seats...I am just above 5 feet tall. I wear size 18, but the leg restraint was awkward because of where I am used to putting my feet, which means I expect them to just kinda float...once I slid all the way forward and my feet were on the ground, more of a tippytoe, (which was not comfortable till I settled in) it was fine.

Just as a reference, I had to sit in the Larger seat on the HP ride, but I think I could have managed in a regular seat, I just had an impatient employee.

If you are short, FOP can be awkward, not just for people of size!

I'm heading there with my daughter in April and I'm hoping that I get to ride this one. I have very large calves and a pear shaped body. I'm hoping to loose some weight before we go, however no matter what I do my calves never get smaller. Damn these cankles :( I want to ride FOP!

I'd forgotten about this thread but read it extensively leading up to our trip this past August. I was a bit worried about my DH but he was able to get on fine. He is a big guy with big calves and big feet. He was able to get on both times we rode. Once they gave a little push on the seat (just a little one) and it clicked. The second time was no problem at all. When we went he was:
6'3"
over 300lbs (I'd say around 310-315 ish)
44 inch waist
Size 15 feet
(don't know the measurements on his calves but he is a very muscular guy so they are quite large)

Thanks all... we leave in about 9 days... I feel a bit better after reading these most recent reports... still nervous though.

Just wanted to report back that I did not fit. It was the leg restraints that were the issue. I’ve always had larger calves & I could just not push my feet far enough forward for her to get them. Super disappointed.

Sorry to hear this Terri!

Hey Terris, as a fellow "no," I'm sorry to hear that happened. Did they give you anything as compensation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter