Flight options/advice for long haul to Hong Kong

dolewhipdreams

Counting days until my next Dole Whip
Hi everyone! This question is specifically targeted to people who have experience flying long haul flights (14+ hours).

We have booked the China ABD for next August and I'm trying to decide what flights we want. We are flying from the Midwest out of a small(ish) airport so there will be connections involved. I have a couple options but I'm just not sure what might be best.

Background on us: We are two adults in upper 20s with experience flying to/from Europe. We are very comfortable with flying and traveling in general, although this will be our longest flight yet, the biggest time change we've experienced, and our first time to Asia. We sleep okay on planes and plan to fly economy, although we might splurge for premium economy if the price is right.

The ABD start date is 8/30. We plan to arrive by the evening of 8/28 at the latest to have an extra day to adjust to the time change and to spend at HKDL (the extra day in HKDL on 8/29 is very important to us). We have two main options for flights:

Option 1: Evening flight out on 8/26, arrive in Hong Kong early AM 8/28.
-Pros: One extra day in Hong Kong. This gives us a buffer in case there are weather related issues (this is prime typhoon season in that area), as well as more time to see Hong Kong/HKDL.
-Cons: Evening flights are more likely to be delayed and the available layovers are not very long (1 hr @ DFW followed by 2 hrs @ LAX or 1 hr @ PHX followed by 3 hr @ LAX), so if our first flight is delayed there is a good chance we will miss our connection. All evening flight options also have 2 layovers, which is just annoying.

Option 2: Morning flight out on 8/27, arrive in Hong Kong evening of 8/28.
-Pros: Morning flights don't have as many delays. Morning flight options have only one layover and they have adequate time.
-Cons: No extra buffer day in case of weather or other issues (although will still have full extra day on 8/29 unless a typhoon hits or something). Layovers are long (4-6 hrs) and that will probably make our travel time seem longer than it is. In some cases the flights are very early, so potentially going into it with little sleep.

SO my question is- which option would you suggest? We tend to take evening flights but with a travel time this long I'm worried about going through a whole day of work then going straight into 23-25 hours of travel. But the extra buffer day could be really useful, especially if the weather turns sour.

We travelled from the east coast US to Sydney Australia and had horrific problems with the domestic side of the house on connections. I urge you to allow plenty of extra time. When we (finally) made it to DFW for the A380 - its a 17 1/2 hour flight - this really was a good flight - we were in economy in the back, where they don't sell out the seats so two adults stretch over four seats. It is also a night flight, and having been up all day, it makes it harder to adjust to the time changes. We recommend plenty of time for connections and get as much direct flight time as you can - it saves time and limits the connections problems. Enjoy!

Thank you for your advice!

we were in economy in the back, where they don't sell out the seats so two adults stretch over four seats.
I think this is our plan, too! Try to get two seats in the back (an aisle and a window so the middle is open) and hope that no one else books the middle so we can spread out.

and having been up all day, it makes it harder to adjust to the time changes.
So were you up all day because you were traveling (to get from the coast to DFW), or did you work that day and then do evening flights out?

I’d never count on an hour layover in Dallas or lax so I would recommend the longer layovers. But why not fly out morning of 8/26 instead of 8/27? It’s an extra day of vacation but it would be worth it. And splurge for an airline club for the longest layover. Well worth the cost. Also definitely go for premium seats. I’ve been on many 15 plus hour flights, it makes a huge difference in your ability to function when you arrive. I’m guessing business class isn’t an option which is too bad Because that length of flight makes it hard to pass up. If you could do business class one way do it on the flight to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is a fabulous city. I hope ABD will make sure you get a good tour of the city but if not allow enough time to get to Victoria Peak, the Tian Buddha and if possible out to Stanley for the beautiful ride. You can easily catch a local bus out to Stanley.

It’s an extra day of vacation but it would be worth it.
Unfortunately we don't have the extra day, so it's either the evening of 8/26 or the morning of 8/27.

I’m guessing business class isn’t an option which is too bad Because that length of flight makes it hard to pass up. If you could do business class one way do it on the flight to Hong Kong.
Oh trust me, I looked into it. But with the cost of the ABD we can't afford add on business class. I dream of the day when we can finally use it, though!

I hope ABD will make sure you get a good tour of the city but if not allow enough time to get to Victoria Peak, the Tian Buddha and if possible out to Stanley for the beautiful ride. You can easily catch a local bus out to Stanley.
The itinerary includes Stanley Market & Victoria Peak, though not the Tian Buddha. If we have the extra day in Hong Kong then that's on my list to visit!

I would very strongly say do NOT take the option with the one hour layover. I wouldn't take a one hour layover if i was only flying domestically, I would never accept that for part of an international trip. you could end up stuck in DFW/PHX or LAX, and lose a huge chunk if not all of your pre-day in Hong Kong. Just not worth it! Honestly, I would never take a 2 hour layover in LAX for an international flight, either. That needs to be at least 3 hours.

I highly recommend flying an Asian airline like Cathay Pacific and flying Premium Economy. Their Premium Economy really means something. There were only 4 rows of Premium Economy, in our own little curtained area, with our own bathroom, 2 dedicated flight attendants. And instead of the 9 seats across that regular Economy was, our section was 8 across. So the seats were significantly wider, and seriously plushier, with a ton of legroom, and with foot rests, etc. The only downside on the plane I was on was that the tray table is in the arm rest (since the back of the other seat is so far away), so the armrests do not go up, so you can't lay across seats. But the seats were so comfortable that I managed to doze for a few hours, which I normally never do.

And the service was amazing.

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions. I actually had a flare-up of my sciatica a week before I flew to China, but with some treatments and a gel seat cushion and Premium Economy, I was easily able to acommodate a 16+ hour non-stop flight from Chicago. And that was another advantage of Cathay Pacific, they flew non-stop to Hong Kong out of Chicago, so I only had one stop flying from Columbus to Chicago, then the rest was direct. Less layovers and less chance of missing a flight!

Sayhello

I would very strongly say do NOT take the option with the one hour layover. I wouldn't take a one hour layover if i was only flying domestically, I would never accept that for part of an international trip. you could end up stuck in DFW/PHX or LAX, and lose a huge chunk if not all of your pre-day in Hong Kong. Just not worth it! Honestly, I would never take a 2 hour layover in LAX for an international flight, either. That needs to be at least 3 hours.
Yeah that short of a layover definitely worries me. I've pulled of shorter, but those have been domestic and I was traveling for work so none of my personal money was on the line (and it would be okay if I was late).

I highly recommend flying an Asian airline like Cathay Pacific and flying Premium Economy
I've got a few Cathay flights tracked on Google! One of them is actually through ORD so it would probably be the same experience that you had. It leaves our local airport at 9am on 8/27 then has a 4.5 hr layover in ORD before going to HKG, where we would land at 8:20pm on 8/28.

I've got a few Cathay flights tracked on Google! One of them is actually through ORD so it would probably be the same experience that you had. It leaves our local airport at 9am on 8/27 then has a 4.5 hr layover in ORD before going to HKG, where we would land at 8:20pm on 8/28.
That is very similar to what I had. Except I left my local airport at noon, had a 3 hour layover at ORD and arrived in HK at 8:25pm the next day. I found one of the good things was that arriving at 8:25pm, and basically going to bed as soon as I hit the hotel seemed to minimize my jetlag. I woke up pretty normally the next morning. Kind of fooled my body that there wasn't a whole day missing in the middle there. The heat of Hong Kong still kind of knocked me for a loop, but at least I wasn't jetlagged!

Sayhello

I found one of the good things was that arriving at 8:25pm, and basically going to bed as soon as I hit the hotel seemed to minimize my jetlag. I woke up pretty normally the next morning. Kind of fooled my body that there wasn't a whole day missing in the middle there.
That's such a good point! Plus with this set of flights we wouldn't need to be at the airport at some unholy hour in the morning, meaning we would probably get pretty good sleep and start the travel day off rested.

That's such a good point! Plus with this set of flights we wouldn't need to be at the airport at some unholy hour in the morning, meaning we would probably get pretty good sleep and start the travel day off rested.
There is a LOT to be said for starting your travel day off rested!
@sayhello I know this was a couple of years ago but do you remember how long it took to get through customs and whatnot at HKG?
I don't remember specifically, but I don't recall it being anything bad or unusual. According to the photos on my phone, I was all checked in and in my room at the Peninsula by 10pm, so it couldn't have taken too long, because we landed sometime around 8:30pm and it's at least half an hour from the airport to the hotel.

Sayhello

I much preferred the PM flight out of LAX to HK. Leaving LAX at midnight made it easier to sleep on that long stretch. I don't have as big of a concern about the one hour at DFW as other posters. I think the biggest thing for me is picking that long flight at a time where I'm fairly confident I can get a little sleep.

I think the biggest thing for me is picking that long flight at a time where I'm fairly confident I can get a little sleep.
With a 24 travel time I’m sure we’ll be able to catch some sleep! I’ll just pop some melatonin and get comfy.

Is there a way you can fly into LAX and have the layover there?
Some of the options have LAX layovers but if I tried to book our flight to LAX separately from our flight to HKG then I think that adds an extra layer of stress since we would have to leave security and check in all over again.

With every layover the problems that could happen go up exponentially :)
So true!!

Just wanted to say that premium economy is very worth it. We are currently expats in India and frequently fly 15+ hour redeye flights. While business class is certainly nicest, we are able to get pretty comfortable in premium economy and sleep decently. I particularly love the first row of premium economy. Legroom is huge, recline and seat width are quite good, and the foot/legrest and well designed headrest (along with the saks pillow and blanket), so we don't have to bring travel accessories to get a good rest. Business class for our family is too expensive unless flying on the company's dime---but I happily pay the extra $ for international premium econony.

That is very similar to what I had. Except I left my local airport at noon, had a 3 hour layover at ORD and arrived in HK at 8:25pm the next day. I found one of the good things was that arriving at 8:25pm, and basically going to bed as soon as I hit the hotel seemed to minimize my jetlag. I woke up pretty normally the next morning. Kind of fooled my body that there wasn't a whole day missing in the middle there. The heat of Hong Kong still kind of knocked me for a loop, but at least I wasn't jetlagged!

Sayhello

Another vote for arriving at night! For ABD Japan, I flew BOS (6:50am)-LAX-KIX(6:35pm). I stayed hydrated and intentionally kept myself awake for the westbound flights and I had no problems falling asleep once I got to my osaka hotel. Jetlag was minimal.

The eastbound coming back, on the other hand, wrecked me. Watching horror movies on the plane was a bad choice.

Another vote for arriving at night! For ABD Japan, I flew BOS (6:50am)-LAX-KIX(6:35pm). I stayed hydrated and intentionally kept myself awake for the westbound flights and I had no problems falling asleep once I got to my osaka hotel. Jetlag was minimal.

The eastbound coming back, on the other hand, wrecked me. Watching horror movies on the plane was a bad choice.
I did the same for Japan, also, arriving in the late evening (except for the intentionally staying awake part. I never sleep on planes. I'm lucky if I doze off for a bit!) I also had minimal jetlag.

I flew home eastbound from Japan late at night, after a full day at Tokyo Disneyland, thinking I would sleep better on the plane home. I did not! And the jetlag I had was the *worst* I had ever experienced, lasting almost a week!! NEVER again! I left China flying home early in the morning, after a good night's sleep (even though I had to get up early) and the jetlag was WAY more manageable that way.

I'm really hoping we can get a good deal and swing premium!
If you haven't already, check with ABD. China was actually one of the trips where ABD was able to get me the same flights I was looking at for considerably less than I was able to find it. It's worth checking.

Sayhello

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter