Flight or hotel first?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
Got my school calendar for next year. We like to.rent DVC points through DVC rental store. Should I lock in hotel now then purchase flights (for Feb. 2020) in summer or wait for flights first? My concern is flights are so expensive. Thanks!

I’ve never successfully rented points but from my experience trying and what I’ve read from other the sooner the better on those. Flights are typically cheaper closer to your trip. I usually don’t get those until 2-3 months out.

I think it depends on what you’re looking to rent. If you’re particular about a date or resort, you probably need to book your room ASAP. And figure out flights later.

I would book now. If you are planning to travel during a holiday weekend in February the availability can fill quickly.

Agree with others - book the room first. I rented points for a trip coming in Nov. I reached out to the broker about 2 weeks before the 11 month booking window with all my details so they were ready to go at 11 months. There was availability but no renters with enough points (needed a 2 bedroom) so they put me in a queue and the reservation came through about a month later. There was availability at other resorts at 11 months but we decided to wait a bit to see what happened. I don’t have flights yet but have been tracking prices. Some sites say the ideal window is about 120 days out to book a flight. Good luck!

As others have said- it depends on where you want to stay and what type of room... If you are open to Old Key West or Saratoga, you can probably wait a little while but for most others you need to book ASAP. I own DVC and already have my room booked for Feb 2020- we book as soon as our 11 month window opens to ensure we get what we want which for this trip is a standard studio at Baylake Tower. I'll worry about flights once those dates are released.

Room first almost always now. Pre-DVC ownership it was about 50-50 because we periodically had some great airline deals to choose from, but not so much now.

I'm typically researching both at the same time. If the room is available and airfare seems high and you are more than 10 weeks out, book the room and monitor the airfare every few days to see if the airfare drops.

I'm typically researching both at the same time. If the room is available and airfare seems high and you are more than 10 weeks out, book the room and monitor the airfare every few days to see if the airfare drops.

Well, I was able to get American roundtrip flights for 200.00 more (total) than what we paid for flights last year. I figure this is not bad at all considering how the cost of airfare seems to be skyrocketing!

Room first, but since looks like you already got your flights don’t look again (though $200 total extra doesn’t seem so bad depending on number of tickets). I have bought in advance of the 2-3 month mark for a Feb trip and since my flight tracking was still on saw that the price was lowest at that 2-3 mark and that I overpaid (not insanely but enough to cover a signature dinner)

Also just to add in Star Wars craziness. There is sure to be more of a squeeze on rooms this upcoming year. Definitely go room first, at exactly 7 months out, if not sooner.

I book rooms first simply because they are changable or refundable where as airfare isn't. This way, if my plans change, it is easier to adjust my hotel reservation. Also, in the past, I have found great airfare but no hotel availability. I would hate to spend all that money on airfare and not have a place to stay.
For my current trip, I found it is now much cheaper to fly in and out the day before I originally planned. All I have to do is adjust my hotel reservation and I've saved a bunch of money. Had I booked airfare first, I wouldn't be able to adjust my trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!