Flights from Hawaii to Home

islandtimect

DIS Veteran
Booking our flights for Aulani, and noticed for the return flights (leaving Honolulu), there are more in the evening than during the day. And most of those are less expensive and shorter durations. DH hates taking late flights home from vacation. How can I convince him this is the better option? We're flying to NY, so we'll probably just rest and sleep on the flights. And isn't there a lounge for showering at Aulani? thanks.

This is very common from Hawaii. We always do a night flight home (usually from Maui tho). Because of the time diff. you lose a day on the way. So for example we would leave Hawaii around 9 or 10:00 PM with 1 stop somewhere to the east coast and we will get in around 4 or 5 PM the NEXT day. If you leave earlier in the day you may just encounter longer layovers. In addition to the PRICE I am ALL ABOUT the total trip duration which means 12-13 hours from HI to DC.

I think just about every hotel & resort in the islands expects these late flights so they are very accomodating as far as storing your luggage after check-out and offering a full service lounge / shower / locker room type of thing as a lot of people just go ahead & hang out at the resort and enjoy one more day poolside before leaving. Just pack what you need to change in a backpack or something. Somebody posted pics of the lounge at Aulani and it is BEAUTIFUL with huge lockers, sofas etc.

The Luana Lounge is for guest checking in or out. There separate locker rooms with showers for men and women. The number of lockers are limited so your family might have to use one locker and juggle stuff back and forth after showering. Here some photos we took in 2012. There is a computer for airline check in and information about flight times.

file-110.jpg

file-111.jpg

file-108.jpg

file-109.jpg

The lounge is awesome!
We checked out, put suitcases in the rental car and enjoyed the resort. We were able to shower, check flight times and repack suitcases. There are shampoos/conditioner/blow dryers/towels. It is a perfect set up! No need to kill time before heading to the airport.

My new favorite flight home from Hawaii is the HNL non-stop to JFK. It leaves mid afternoon and arrives at around 7 am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter