Flip flips?

I live in flip flops and wear them.. which kind? whichever broken in ones I'm wearing at the time lol.

I have done mostly Tevas (usually Tirra) in the heat. A little more support than flip flops.
That's what I usually wear.

As someone else said, flip flops cause you to curl your toes to keep them on and that can lead to some degree of foot fatigue. The Teva type sandal has that ankle strap to keep them on your feet. Plus I don't like anything between my toes.

Would losing your shoes on a ride be a risk? I guess Disney doesn't have a lot of rides where your feet are dangling.

I found that to be a bigger issue at Universal back when I wore Birkenstocks -- I don't remember needing to take them off for anything other than Soarin' at WDW, but at Universal I ended up taking my shoes off and sitting on them on several roller coasters, one of the Harry Potter rides, etc. Worth thinking about if you're doing any days at Universal.

As for the toe-curling thing -- can confirm that while I do that when I'm wearing my cheap flip flops from Walmart, my toes don't curl in my Sanuks (I didn't have the option of the yoga-style Sanuks with the ankle loop because they don't make them in my size). Between the sloping/shaped footbed and the padded cloth strap, they fit nicely enough that I don't have to make any effort to keep them on. It's not an automatic problem inherent to all flip-flops; it's just something that happens if they're poorly designed or don't fit you well. And if you can wear women's sizes, the yoga-style Sanuks are an option.

I only wear flip flops and sandals on every trip. The best flip flops that I have are OluKai Ohana. I also love all of the OluKai brand sandals that I have tried.
I am partial to Rainbow and Sperry because of the no slip they offer but I am thinking about purchasing a pair of these. How are they when wet? I have a knew that I injured a few years back. I don't have any issues doing normal things but if my feet shifted on a slick flip flop it could be a huge issue. That's why I'm not a fan of the yoga mat on the sanuks. I've gone down in the pair I have.

You really need to give whatever shoes you are going to wear at Disney test drives at home. And you need at least two options. I recommend both a sneaker and a sandal. And by test drive - I mean walk no less than 5 miles in them at one time - two days in a row.

And whatever you try - they need to feel perfect when you try them on!

I am partial to Rainbow and Sperry because of the no slip they offer but I am thinking about purchasing a pair of these. How are they when wet? I have a knew that I injured a few years back. I don't have any issues doing normal things but if my feet shifted on a slick flip flop it could be a huge issue. That's why I'm not a fan of the yoga mat on the sanuks. I've gone down in the pair I have.

I think that the bottom of the OluKai Ohanas have a very good grip when walking on wet surfaces. I do remember the top strap sliding a bit across the tops/sides of my feet when I got totally soaked wading through puddles after a rain once. But my heel didn't slip off of the footbed. They dry quickly, so it wasn't an issue for me. You might want to try something like the Tevas or Keens that others mentioned that have straps to help your foot stay put. But I personally prefer the flip flops!

I can't wear flip flops to walk much. I use Teva sandals some - but usually stick to sneakers in the park. Teva will get me through a half day. It is up to you on what works for your legs back and feet. I don't do heat either - but I have a bad hip so it is a trade off either way.

Teva Verra for me! I can wear them all day, every day at the parks. I even did my morning speed walks in them last trip, after my sneakers gave out halfway through a walk and rubbed my heel raw (an understatement)!

I love them because they: give some arch support, don't put anything between my toes, don't slip during downpours--and dry out quickly, afterward (without getting stiff, or loose, like leather). This last part is important also because it's no fun squishing around in sneakers after a thunderstorm.

I wouldn't trust flip flops as they are thin and have no support. I even had Go walk flip flop (forgey actual name) but my feet burned on day one. I have bad feet/toe issues but on advice from here, I bought Teva sandals. They were great. So comfy.

I love crocs, but not the clogs everyone thinks of. They make some great and really comfy sandals that are also cute!

I think Nike has some really solid, comfy flip flops. I would just make sure they're not $5 ones, get ones that have decent support for your feet.

No. Maybe they don't do this in California (where I ride Soarin a couple times a month...). Almost everyone in CA is wearing slip on shoes at any given time. My kids always wear crocs. I almost always wear Fit Flops. None of us takes our shoes off on Soarin. They never even come close to falling off either. I take my flip flops off on the Silly Symphony Swings, but that's a completely different type of ride. I hold them in my hand. My kids leave their crocs on for that ride too. No one is told to take their shoes off on any ride at Disneyland, as far as I can remember.

I’ve never heard them say to take our shoes off and I’ve been riding in California dozens of times a year since it opened. I do take mine off because I’m a nervous Nancy, but I see people overhead with them on all the time.

For a one day trip to local parks I've always worn my Rainbows. They stand up well to getting wet since they are meant for salt water. Has anyone else survived a week walking in flip flops?

I usually wear Rainbows every day of my trips, but that's also because I wear them practically every day anyways. They're not fun wearing them the day after they get soaked from the rain or whatever so I would bring alternatives.

If you are used to wearing them to a park and often, then it shouldn't a problem

No. Maybe they don't do this in California (where I ride Soarin a couple times a month...). Almost everyone in CA is wearing slip on shoes at any given time. My kids always wear crocs. I almost always wear Fit Flops. None of us takes our shoes off on Soarin. They never even come close to falling off either. I take my flip flops off on the Silly Symphony Swings, but that's a completely different type of ride. I hold them in my hand. My kids leave their crocs on for that ride too. No one is told to take their shoes off on any ride at Disneyland, as far as I can remember.

Maybe it's a California thing. I've been on Soarin' at DCA with flip flops too, and don't recall being told to take them off. I remember crossing my toes after realizing how precarious it felt, but I don't think there was any real danger they were going to fall.

I usually wear Rainbows every day of my trips, but that's also because I wear them practically every day anyways. They're not fun wearing them the day after they get soaked from the rain or whatever so I would bring alternatives.

If you are used to wearing them to a park and often, then it shouldn't a problem

Yeah the wet sandal thing can be very uncomfortable. I almost twisted my ankle once after a heavy shower. Now, I'll usually throw some lightweight sneakers in my sackpack if I'm going in sandals, just in case.

Last edited:
Teva Olowahu flip flops are my absolute favorites. I've worn them on multiple trips, over many years. They are pretty much all I've worn from March - October for the last 8 years, and that includes all of our Disney Trips. They are extremely comfortable, and the straps are cute and different.

I love love Fit Flops! https://www.fitflop.com/us/en/
I have worn them to Disney World many years. They are super cushy. They have a nice arch support and feel great.
I have them in white, brown, and black. They are somewhat pricey. But, you can catch them on sale too. They are worth every penny to me. My feet never hurt each week that I wore them. Check out the link. I believe Macys, Nordstroms, and Boscovs carry them( besides online).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter