• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Floor plan Question

HeatherPage

<font color=darkcoral>Proud mommy, wife and WDW fa
I have only stayed at a Studio at the BW thus far. My husband and I would like to take my parents next year to WDW. I was thinking we could get either two studios or, if such a unit was available (I don't have any of my DVC books with me right now so I'm not sure if these exists) Is there a one bedroom where the living room part locks off from the main bedroom part? Or am I thinking of a two bedroom? More than likely two studios will be perfect that way we can all have our privacy, but still do things together when we want. P.S. I'll have about a 1 year old by then if we go sometime next October. Thanks for any advice!

You are thinking of a two bedroom. In a one bedroom you would be able to close the bedroom door, but your parents would be sleeping on a sleeper sofa, in the living room, so no real privacy there. Congrats on your impending arrival!!!

Thanks Lori! Actually, if that were the case we would be nice and give the parents the bedroom and we'd take the sofa. But I think we'll definitely be going with the two studios.

Actually, if that were the case we would be nice and give the parents the bedroom and we'd take the sofa. But I think we'll definitely be going with the two studios.

Good choice on the 2 studios v/s the 1 BR :). I once let my in-laws have the big comfy king bed while we slept on the fold-out. Never again! From then on, we always get the real bed!

You might want to run the numbers on a standard view 2BR. It's really nice to have the full kitchen and a common place to hang out. Your baby will be able to sleep in the pack-n-play in your room and you will be able to enjoy being with your parents in the living room. Plus, you also have the washer and dryer in your unit ... a big plus with a toddler (mine will be 2 in a couple of weeks). You can request that your 2BR be a "lock-off" where the studio part of the unit has it's own door to the hallway, minibar area, etc.

One way that I save on points is to only book Sun-Fri and then move on the weekends. Since the weekend points double, it's almost as expensive to stay Friday and Saturday than it is to stay Sunday through Friday.

For a two bedroom the time of year we'd want to go it would run somewhere around 230 points or so for 7 days, not bad but since I'll already be borrowing these points from 2003 I'm kind of out of luck (I'll have 15 points from 2002 and 200 from 2003-I guess we could always rent the extra 15 or so points). But actually since we always like to go out to dinner and there's a mini fridge and microwave in the studios, that will probably do us just fine. However as our family grows, or for instance we want to take my parents and my brother's family in 2003 we may need to look at adding on points (here we go). Well I still have a while to go before I can make reservations (November) so I guess I can kick it around a little more. Thanks again for the great advice!

One way we get around this is not to use points on Friday or Saturday nights. We still get the benefits of the larger accomodations without that high point cost. Sometimes we pay the member cash rate and stay in the same villa. Or sometimes, like with our next trip, we are arriving on Friday and staying in a Fort Wilderness cabin for 2 nights, Fri and Sat.. Then we check into our 2 br at OKW. ( we are actually staying until the next Sunday making it a full 7 nites in a 2 Br.) I really have a hard time mentally using such high points for Friday and Saturday, but I am still glad I have the option. If you really look at it, you still get DVC benefits for the full day that you check in (Sun) and the day you check out (Fri).. so you are really only missing one day of DVC benefits, which would be Saturday and we use this as a travel day.. You could also only stay one weekend night too. Also, when We give the gift of a Disney Vacation, it is alway Sundy to Friday. they are on thier own for any other days.. Since most arrive on Saturday and stay offsite..in a really inexpensive hotel, they are all the more appreciative of the gift.

Melynny,

That's exactly what I do. We usually stay offsite curtusy of Priceline.

Here's another idea for Heather ... start your week off in 2 studios and then move to a 2 BR for the last 5 days. You'll have the best of both worlds. I'm assuming you're staying in the Choice season in a standard view since a 2BR would cost you about 230 points. Here's a quick and dirty cost analysis:

2 Studios for 7 nights: 174 points
1 2 BR for 7 nights: 236 points
2 Studios for F/Sa, 1 2BR Sun-Thurs: 84 + 120 = 204.

robinb's suggestion is a good one!!!! Near the end of your trip you'd have the benefit of the larger area, and the washer dryer to do some laundry, so you wouldn't have to pack as much! When I do a 1 or 2 BR in a DVC property, I pack half the amount of days I'm staying worth of clothes(ie-if I'm staying 8 days, I pack 4 days worth of clothes). It does make life easier!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter