Floor Plans for AKV Lodge 2 Bedroom Lock-off -SV

It looks like 140 of the total rooms will be dedicated 2BRs, so it is clear that DVC saw this as a popular product. -- Suzanne

First of all, thanks so much to you, lisareniff, and all the others who have shared so much AKV information that has not been very forthcoming from DVC. You all have certainly been filling in some AKV blanks for many of us.

Secondly, I'm sure you've already posted this information somewhere in all of the AKV threads, but since I cannot get search to work at all, is there any way you could direct me to that information or do a breakdown, based on your calculations, of the number of room types that will end up in Jambo House and Kidani Village? I would love to know how many of a particular room category will be in each building.

Thank you very much! :)

Nope, it doesn't make a difference. We added 200 points at AKC, sight unseen. In MY mind, I've stayed many times at AKL. If the room for DVC are equal to or better than the normal lodge rooms, I'm happy. I couldn't see how they would be anything but equal to or better than so we purchased on Day 1. We absolutely love AKL and I can't imagine that we won't still love it as AKV.
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

MG

. . . could direct me to that information or do a breakdown, based on your calculations, of the number of room types that will end up in Jambo House and Kidani Village? I would love to know how many of a particular room category will be in each building.

Thank you very much! :)

I put my best guess about the likely rooms in each category in Jambo House in my post on page 3 of this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1369410&page=3. As noted there, this overstates the number of expected dedicated studios at 49, so it is obviously somewhat incorrect.

The CA Dept of RE report dated last July said that there would be 46 dedicated studios, 140 dedicated 2 BRs, 250 2BR lockoffs and 22 GVs, for a total of 458 rooms. Few, if any, of the dedicated 2BRs will be in Jambo House, so most, if not all, will be in Kidani Village. At the other end, most, if not all, of the dedicated studios will be in Jambo House, so few, if any, will be in Kidani Village.

Looks like a good resort at which to own if you want a dedicated 2BR (almost a third of the rooms will be this configuration).

Others have reported that no concierge rooms will be in Kidani Village.

I would expect that DVC will not build very many (or no) value sized rooms in Kidani Village either. So Kidani Village will have standard view and savanna view rooms. Someone else reported that something like 79% of the rooms at AKV will have savanna view and, based on the building layout, this would seem to be generally true of Kidani Village taken separately from Jambo House.

Hope this helps. -- Suzanne

That's all well and good, but the problem I have is that it's not like DVC is cutting us any slack price-wise. The fact that they are conversions is DISNEY's problem. I don't see them slashing prices based upon that fact. They are set to see revenues on the order of $1.5 MILLION for every two bedroom unit, plus all of the dollars members will pour into the theme parks over the subsequent 5 decades.

Nobody ever said that Disney needed to convert existing rooms in the first place. SSR sales didn't suddenly rise by any significant magnitude to justify a rush job on its follow-up resort. The conversions are occurring because Disney over-built at AKL in the first place. Now DVC members are being asked to accept (IMO) a step-down in the quality of accommodation.

I would really like to know that DVC will have a system in place to guarantee the location of the room (new or old building) at the time of the reservation. Even when the resort is complete, over 30% of the units in the DVC development will be converted rooms. It seems like they should be able to tell arriving guests where to check in since there will be two separate front desks. I hate to think people will be forced to flip a coin before selecting the front desk they THINK is closest to their assigned unit.

But this is just another aspect of the entire sales process in which DVC has dropped the ball. Instead of being able to inform owners exactly how these processes will work, it's left to members to draw their own conclusions after scouring public information websites.

Well said. Disney is asking DVC members to pay for a refurbishment of a resort which has had problems filling the rooms (similar to what I suspect is happening at CRV and what happened at Disney Institute). Those floorplans are not what DVC has been represented as since DVC began. It's a definite step down, IMO. Conversion has nothing to do with it. They could have used the space of three rooms to make a typical DVC unit, instead of cramming a slimmed-down version into the space of two rooms. Even the member website gives the impression that many of the rooms will be among the largest DVC units. Unfortunately, (or fortunately- depending on your opinion), it appears that some members are willing to accept less than what a typical DVC unit has always been (based on the plans we've seen). At least SSR was an improvement over Disney Institute, and CRV will have monorail access. Hopefully since CRV will be new construction, like the new AKV building, the rooms will be better than these "conversions" at AKL. These plans we've seen for AKV in the Lodge are unacceptable, IMO.

I put my best guess about the likely rooms in each category in Jambo House in my post on page 3 of this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1369410&page=3. As noted there, this overstates the number of expected dedicated studios at 49, so it is obviously somewhat incorrect.

The CA Dept of RE report dated last July said that there would be 46 dedicated studios, 140 dedicated 2 BRs, 250 2BR lockoffs and 22 GVs, for a total of 458 rooms. Few, if any, of the dedicated 2BRs will be in Jambo House, so most, if not all, will be in Kidani Village. At the other end, most, if not all, of the dedicated studios will be in Jambo House, so few, if any, will be in Kidani Village.

Looks like a good resort at which to own if you want a dedicated 2BR (almost a third of the rooms will be this configuration).

Others have reported that no concierge rooms will be in Kidani Village.

I would expect that DVC will not build very many (or no) value sized rooms in Kidani Village either. So Kidani Village will have standard view and savanna view rooms. Someone else reported that something like 79% of the rooms at AKV will have savanna view and, based on the building layout, this would seem to be generally true of Kidani Village taken separately from Jambo House.

Hope this helps. -- Suzanne

Suzanne - Thank you SO much for providing that information. So, if I have properly interpreted your information, the following room / building configurations are a likely indicator of where you will end up:

Room Type / Location

Value: Jambo House
Dedicated Studio: Jambo House
Dedicated 2 Bedroom: Kidani Village
Concierge: Jambo House
Savannah View: Both / Either

Is that accurate? :)

There are going to pros and cons. That seems to be the case for all of the DVC resorts. AKV Jambo House might be lacking in floor plan (We don't know that for sure) and CRV maybe a tower DVC resort (we don't know this for sure either). To me, a tower DVC resort just doesn't seem like home. As other posters have stated it is a matter of opinion.

I don't know if I am allowed to post this, or that anyone can respond, maybe someone can just sent me a pm.....PLEEESSSEEE. I have been staying at the disney resorts for about 3 years now. I visit at least once a year and I found the DVC boards in looking for a way to afford to stay in disneyworld resort. I have been contemplating buying a membership myself, however, when my sister bought one, I just have been buying her points every year, as she has been pregnant, new baby, and really hasn't had the chance to fly 5000 miles to take advantage so I buy her pts like I would any other member......basically my point to this request is that she is working and I just found out about the presale of AKV. Can anyone clue me in on the presale price so that I can determine whether I will opt in.....i realize that I may have to opt in through my sister and then do an exchange later, but I am wondering if it is good enough to go for it. Thanks for the help!!

Suzanne - Thank you SO much for providing that information. So, if I have properly interpreted your information, the following room / building configurations are a likely indicator of where you will end up:

Room Type / Location

Value: Jambo House
Dedicated Studio: Jambo House
Dedicated 2 Bedroom: Kidani Village
Concierge: Jambo House
Savannah View: Both / Either

Is that accurate? :)

Yes, your summary is basically accurate based on my best guesses at this time.

I would just add that it is possible there will be some value rooms and some dedicated studios in Kidani Village, but I would not expect very many.

-- Suzanne

134 villas in Lodge (Jambo House)
46 Dedicated Studios
82 2 Bedroom Lock-offs
6 Grand Villas - 1 story

324 Villas in the New AKV building (Kidani Village)
140 2 bedroom - Dedicated
168 2 Bedroom - Lock-off
16 GV

Even the member website gives the impression that many of the rooms will be among the largest DVC units.

From the info posted on the DVC website (which Lisa copied to this thread), most of the rooms at AKV will be the same size as, or larger than, those at the other resorts.

For Studios: 316-365 sq. ft. in Jambo House and 366 sq. ft. in Kidani Village. Compare with 365 sf at BCV.

For 1 BRs: 629-710 sq. ft. in Jambo House and 807 sq. ft. in Kidani Village. Compare with 726 sf at BCV.

For dedicated 2 BRs: 1,173 sq. ft. in Kidani Village. Compare with 1,083 sf at BCV.

For lockoff 2 BRs: 945-1075 sq. ft. in Jambo House and 1,173 sq. ft. in Kidani Village. Compare with 1,091 sf at BCV.

For GVs: 2,349 sq. ft. in Jambo House and 2,201 sq. ft. in Kidani Village. Compare with 2,113 sf at SSR and 2,375 sf at OKW.

Yes, there will be some smaller rooms, but that is consistent with offering the "Value" category.

Of course, square footage is not everything. A 2 ft X 50 ft room has the same square footage as a 10 ft x 10 ft room, but are hardly equally livable. But DVC never relased floor plans that were inconsistent with the current plans.

-- Suzanne

So the tub in the 1BR looks like a smaller version of a whirlpool tub. No more split baths? I guess unless you are an exhibitionist, someone won't be able to use the toilet when someone else is using the tub. I suppose you could always wear a bathing suit in the whirlpool tub. :rolleyes: I guess you won't be able to watch TV from those tubs either. ;) I don't like the fact that there is no shower stall. I also find it odd that the closet is in the kitchen, and the first thing you see when entering the unit is a kitchen. I thought these units were supposed to be bigger than most of the other units? Why are there fewer amenities? I hate to sound so negative, but when did shower stalls and closet space become optional in a DVC unit, not to mention a foyer and other extra space- including bathroom space? :scared1: Thankfully the only thing that appears to be missing from the studio is a closet, which is surprising since even the AllStars have a closet bar and shelf. Of course, that could be another problem if you like to actually hang things up. :sad2:
Again, I'm hoping it's not as bad as it looks from these drawings. Hopefully the reality is different.

I was talking to my wife about the lack of a "tub window" looking into the MBR, as they have in other DVC resorts.

She quickly suggested why that might be. There are, from what we remember, security cameras out on the savannah that monitor the area. Some of them (most? I don't know) are directed towards the balconies of the rooms, I think, to make sure guests are "behaving" and not endangering the animals. Given that, my wife thought that maybe they did not want to chance someone leaving the blinds open, and opening up the "tub" window, at the same time. I thought that made sense and figured I'd pass it along.

Another possible listing of the rooms and categories in Jambo House:

Category - Std - 2BR - GV - Total
>>Value --- 6 --- 4 --- 0 --- 10
Standard --- 8 --14 -- 0 --- 22
Savanna -- 32 ---54 --11 ---97
>>Club ---- 0 ---- 5 --- 0 --- 5
Totals ---- 46 --- 77 -- 11 -- 134

This one at least adds up to 134 rooms with no more than 46 dedicated studios! The obvious difference is that to make the numbers add up, there needs to be 11 GV in Jambo House, not just 6.

If 6 GV is really the number, then I think that DVC understated the number of rooms in Jambo House by not including the 5 club rooms on the 6th floor. If that is the case, add 10 SV 2brs to the numbers above. This would mean that there are a total of 134 rooms on the 5th floor plus 5 more on the 6th floor, for a total of 139 in Jambo House.

Can you tell that it was really bothering me that my previous numbers didn't add up?????

-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter