Florida Keys Advice and Recommendations x

1andrea

DIS Veteran
Hey!!

This trip we've decided to do something different and stay in the Florida Keys for 5 nights.

We've booked Banana Bay in Marathon and I was wondering if any of you have ever stayed here?

We want to visit the Key West and Key Largo and was hoping for some recommendations on things to do in any of the Keys.

Restaurant recommendations would be great too!!

Thanks xx

We just go to Key West to chill, this Sept going for 4 nights, it will be our 3rd stay there (plus 2 or 3 cruise visits)
Places like Hogs breath are great for a drink and live music. 3 web cams in the bar here https://www.hogsbreath.com/keywest/hog-cams/
Chickens run wild throughout Key West, fun for me not so much for my Wife who is terrified of them.
Sunset on Mallory Square is a must, amazing.
Photo with the Southernmost point & Mile marker 0
Wander up an down Duval st (calling in bars)
Hemingway's House, especially if like us you like cats, the grounds are populated by six- and seven-toed cats that are descendants of Hemingway's cats.
We will spend 4 days just walking, drinking, eating and photographing.
We once ate at Blue Heaven, it was up near the top on TripAdvisor, now 15th. For us it was average and overpriced but still gets good reviews https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...lue_Heaven-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html
I would rather just grab a bite in a bar where we are drinking than plan meals, IIRC we had about 90 min wait for Blue Heaven.
When you going? This is our first trip to Florida for nearly 3 years.

Are you going to have a car?

Key West is one of the main focuses of the Keys, and is over an hrs drive from Marathon and the road can go slow

What do you want to do in the Keys? If you just want to relax at the beach then yes, maybe Marathon but I'd recommend actually staying in Key West. But also the condition of the beaches in the Keys isn't that great still since Hurricane Irma, and things like red tide affect the water - what month is this trip?

We just go to Key West to chill, this Sept going for 4 nights, it will be our 3rd stay there (plus 2 or 3 cruise visits)
Places like Hogs breath are great for a drink and live music. 3 web cams in the bar here https://www.hogsbreath.com/keywest/hog-cams/
Chickens run wild throughout Key West, fun for me not so much for my Wife who is terrified of them.
Sunset on Mallory Square is a must, amazing.
Photo with the Southernmost point & Mile marker 0
Wander up an down Duval st (calling in bars)
Hemingway's House, especially if like us you like cats, the grounds are populated by six- and seven-toed cats that are descendants of Hemingway's cats.
We will spend 4 days just walking, drinking, eating and photographing.
We once ate at Blue Heaven, it was up near the top on TripAdvisor, now 15th. For us it was average and overpriced but still gets good reviews https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...lue_Heaven-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html
I would rather just grab a bite in a bar where we are drinking than plan meals, IIRC we had about 90 min wait for Blue Heaven.
When you going? This is our first trip to Florida for nearly 3 years.

Hey Wayne!!

I thought I hadn't seen you on here for a little while!! We're going in mid July, so not long to go now!! First stop New York for 5 nights, then fly from there to Fort Launderdale, drive to the Keys for 5 nights and then driving to Orlando for 6 nights before we fly home!!

I'm not a massive cat fan, i'm more a dog person!

We're staying 5 nights in Marathon and think we will spend a coupe of days in Key West adnd taking in the views driving there and some time walking, eating drinking and relaxing after New York! xx

Are you going to have a car?

Key West is one of the main focuses of the Keys, and is over an hrs drive from Marathon and the road can go slow

What do you want to do in the Keys? If you just want to relax at the beach then yes, maybe Marathon but I'd recommend actually staying in Key West. But also the condition of the beaches in the Keys isn't that great still since Hurricane Irma, and things like red tide affect the water - what month is this trip?

Yes we will have a car and we dont mind the drive as I'm guessing the scenery will be beautiful!! x

Hey Wayne!!

I thought I hadn't seen you on here for a little while!! We're going in mid July, so not long to go now!! First stop New York for 5 nights, then fly from there to Fort Launderdale, drive to the Keys for 5 nights and then driving to Orlando for 6 nights before we fly home!!

I'm not a massive cat fan, i'm more a dog person!

We're staying 5 nights in Marathon and think we will spend a coupe of days in Key West adnd taking in the views driving there and some time walking, eating drinking and relaxing after New York! xx
Our last visit to Florida was after a visit to NYC, did Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to NYC then flew to Florida.

Had so much going on last few years I have struggled to keep up with all things Disney. My Mother in Law passed away 2 years ago, stressful time looking after her plus we have done lots of travelling away from Florida. My Wife, Karen, retired end of last year after issues with new boss, worked there 32 years. I am trying to decide when to sell shop and retire now. Such a big decision.
We love Key West, hope you do.

Our last visit to Florida was after a visit to NYC, did Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to NYC then flew to Florida.

Had so much going on last few years I have struggled to keep up with all things Disney. My Mother in Law passed away 2 years ago, stressful time looking after her plus we have done lots of travelling away from Florida. My Wife, Karen, retired end of last year after issues with new boss, worked there 32 years. I am trying to decide when to sell shop and retire now. Such a big decision.
We love Key West, hope you do.

I own my own business too and for me holidays are not like holidays were when I had an emplyed position.

At least when you retire you can holiday without wondering about whats going on at work and truely relax!

I hope Karen is enjoying her retirement.

This will be our last Florida holiday for a cuple of years now as OH wants to try some new places and I'm looking forward to it!!

I own my own business too and for me holidays are not like holidays were when I had an emplyed position.

At least when you retire you can holiday without wondering about whats going on at work and truely relax!

I hope Karen is enjoying her retirement.

This will be our last Florida holiday for a cuple of years now as OH wants to try some new places and I'm looking forward to it!!
I used to stress about going away, but for the last 15 years I have closed the business while away, so I do relax now.
I am glad Disney got so expensive, it made us travel to new places. Just been to Norwegian Fjords, last year Alaska, Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans, Tenerife, Turkey. Year before a road trip around Cali. I have found I love Nashville & New Orleans, been 3 times now and want to go back again. Back to Turkey for us next month, somewhere we wouldn't mind spending more time when we both retire, Turkish food is my fave, scenery is amazing and the friendliest people.

I used to stress about going away, but for the last 15 years I have closed the business while away, so I do relax now.
I am glad Disney got so expensive, it made us travel to new places. Just been to Norwegian Fjords, last year Alaska, Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans, Tenerife, Turkey. Year before a road trip around Cali. I have found I love Nashville & New Orleans, been 3 times now and want to go back again. Back to Turkey for us next month, somewhere we wouldn't mind spending more time when we both retire, Turkish food is my fave, scenery is amazing and the friendliest people.
It’s interesting to see that you’ve been exploring new places as when I first joined this forum around 2007 you were in WDW around 3 times a year and I always wondered how you didn’t get a bit tired of it as I love going but don’t mind a few years gap in between trips. Where about in Turkey do you go as we quite fancy it. We’re in Key West next week for a night or two so thanks for the recommendations. Also, we moved back from France in 2016 and live in Wakefield so I think we’re neighbours...sort of...
Cath x

It’s interesting to see that you’ve been exploring new places as when I first joined this forum around 2007 you were in WDW around 3 times a year and I always wondered how you didn’t get a bit tired of it as I love going but don’t mind a few years gap in between trips. Where about in Turkey do you go as we quite fancy it. We’re in Key West next week for a night or two so thanks for the recommendations. Also, we moved back from France in 2016 and live in Wakefield so I think we’re neighbours...sort of...
Cath x
We went 4 times one year 😁 Never got tired of it, always different things to do, just got outpriced. First time we stayed at OKW with free dining it cost us £60/nt for 3 of us, dread to think what it is now.
We are going to Dalyan for 4th year in a row, my Brother had a couple of lovely villas there but sold them last year so first time in a hotel.
Only a stone's throw from Wakefield, Thornhill. Wakefield is a little different to France.

Hi
Key West is one of my favourite places, its so diverse anything goes! Theres a few things to do there, such as, the conch train learning about the history of key west, go up the lighthouse, go to Hemmingways house, go around the maritime museum, southern most point is a must, fort zac beach , sit outside carolines cafe with a drink and people watch, top the night off with a sunset cruise
while at Marathon go to the turtle hospital, its a great little place, theres also the dolphin center on grassy key and Robbies in Islamarada where you can feed the tarpon they are massive, all in all you will find loads to do!

Hi
Key West is one of my favourite places, its so diverse anything goes! Theres a few things to do there, such as, the conch train learning about the history of key west, go up the lighthouse, go to Hemmingways house, go around the maritime museum, southern most point is a must, fort zac beach , sit outside carolines cafe with a drink and people watch, top the night off with a sunset cruise
while at Marathon go to the turtle hospital, its a great little place, theres also the dolphin center on grassy key and Robbies in Islamarada where you can feed the tarpon they are massive, all in all you will find loads to do!
Thank you, they all sound great!

We have now cancelled our hotel in Marathon and are looking at a few hotels in a Key West as it looks like we will be spending the majority of the time there!

So any hotel or more food recommendations for Key West would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks x

have a look at the Almond tree inn, the Marquesa , the gardens, but there are quite a few reasonably priced ones around. We prefer to stay near the top end of Duval so that there isn't that far to walk to Mallory square etc. wherever you stay you will have a ball!

First time we stayed at Southernmost Beach resort, 2nd time stayed at Pier House Resort & Spa. Loved both, Pier house is perfect with its own beach but this year they were both very expensive for the dates we wanted so Booked a place called Paradise Inn, booked it back in Dec at just over £100/nt, its now showing £230/nt. I never tie myself to one hotel, always find deals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts