Florida Resident Codes Requirements???

My situation was different than most. Because we built a custom home, there was a construction loan involved. That means that we immediately became responsible for paying taxes, home owners association dues, and a mortgage, even though what we owned was a plot of dirt at the time. (OUCH!) It also means that I held the deed to the property, even though there wasn't a house on it yet. Given those circumstances, I qualified as a FL resident, even though my house wasn't liveable yet.

I think a lot of it is going to depend on your circumstances. In the case of a townhouse or condo, you're probably not paying taxes or home owners association dues, or even a mortgage yet, as you won't pay anything except a deposit until you take ownership of the completed property. DMV wanted to see the deed, not the sales contract. Once that happens, you'll have no problem establishing "residency". But at this point, I don't think you could do so.

Hope this helps.

Anne

Luv2Roam said:
From the Disney web site:
Proof of Residency per adult is required - you must provide any one of the following:
* Florida driver's license
* Florida state-issued ID card (must have Florida address)
* Florida voter's registration card with corresponding picture ID
* A college ID for a Florida college
* Florida-based military ID
I think, as someone else stated, that you can show a utility bill, with coressponding ID, as well.

Laugh O. Grams said:
I think, as someone else stated, that you can show a utility bill, with coressponding ID, as well.

I think they've changed that over the past year. Moot point anyhow, as the OP is in a construction phase and won't have a utility bill yet.

Anne

Someone else said they no longer accept utility bills, I think. If they did, I'd be trying to get FL resident rates! Just kidding! It is tempting to try & cheat the system, but we wouldn't do it. Instead I just try to convince DH to move to FL to be near his brother. :)

Anne sounds like she gave you the last piece of this puzzle - until you close on your townhouse and get a deed, you won't be able to get a FL ID.

I don't know if I agree that Disney has cracked down on requirements for FL residency. I say this because for 3 years in a row, we know a family that has used the FL residency rate and they live in NY. They happen to have a relative with the same name that lives in FL, so the said family carries around a utility bill with them but have never ONCE been asked to show any form of proof, not even the utility bill. They are currently in WDW right now, in fact, and got a great FL residency discount -- they even purchased FL residency park tickets. There obviously seems to be a hole in the system. It reminds me of booking an AP rate for a room and never being asked to show proof of an AP at check-in. This will be our 4th trip to WDW with AP's and we've never once been asked to show them. Makes me wonder if people cheat with regard to AP rates too.....

They must be getting lucky then.

My DS was given a hard time about getting his FL AP as he didn't have a FL DL, even though I had mine and was with him at the time.

We've found more and more they're cracking down.

They'll be in for a big surprise if they are caught--the hotel bill will go to rack, and their AP's could actually be voided!

Anne

TJA said:
I don't know if I agree that Disney has cracked down on requirements for FL residency. I say this because for 3 years in a row, we know a family that has used the FL residency rate and they live in NY. They happen to have a relative with the same name that lives in FL, so the said family carries around a utility bill with them but have never ONCE been asked to show any form of proof, not even the utility bill. They are currently in WDW right now, in fact, and got a great FL residency discount -- they even purchased FL residency park tickets. There obviously seems to be a hole in the system. It reminds me of booking an AP rate for a room and never being asked to show proof of an AP at check-in. This will be our 4th trip to WDW with AP's and we've never once been asked to show them. Makes me wonder if people cheat with regard to AP rates too.....

Well of course they do and they find it all on the Internet as to how to do it and how others do it. :sad2:

Yes, Anne, you are exactly right that they are simply getting lucky. Must be they are checking in at the exact times when the "lenient" CM's are working. I think if just ONE person would ask them for proof of residency, then the ball would start rolling into motion and they would eventually not dare cheat the system. Unfortunately, not even one person has ever asked them for proof. Unbelievable.

TJA said:
I don't know if I agree that Disney has cracked down on requirements for FL residency. I say this because for 3 years in a row, we know a family that has used the FL residency rate and they live in NY. They happen to have a relative with the same name that lives in FL, so the said family carries around a utility bill with them but have never ONCE been asked to show any form of proof, not even the utility bill. They are currently in WDW right now, in fact, and got a great FL residency discount -- they even purchased FL residency park tickets.
C'mon Sammie!!!! Let's go find these scofflaws and drag 'em to Disney Security!!! This kind of lawlessness cannot be tolerated and must be destroyed!!!! Are you with me, brother!?!?!? ;)

dcibrando said:
what happens if I am staying with a Florida resident in a resort and I check in before they get there???

No you can't,you have to wait for the Florida resident. We actually got there prior to family from CA that was meeting us and I had the hardest time making sure they could get into their room without me being there as I wanted to go to a park.

TJA said:

I have been asked for my ID every time, both when checking into resorts and at the park gates.

The Driver License office does not always ask for proof of FL residence, but I would not go there without it. I have been 3 times to the driver license office, 1 with DB (who leased a room in my house) to the Deland office. He did not have an appointment and was waited on well after the official closing of the office. He was not asked for the lease, just the address. DW and I went to the Daytona office , with an appointment, and needed our mortgage papers. I later took DD and DS to Winter Park (with an early appointment) and did not need anything.

The OP should not have any problems as his place is under construction as long as he brings the loan docs showing the address.

Now at Disney, we needed to show our FL ID when purchasing our AP's but since then have only needed it when using our DDE card. YMMV

Aidensmom said:
I have been asked for my ID every time, both when checking into resorts and at the park gates.

The only time I've ever been asked for my Florida ID was when I purchased the vouchers at SoG and then again when I activated the passes. Other than that, I've never been asked for FL ID at the resort or the gates (once the pass was activated).

For years we didn't get asked for our Fl drivers license and the last few trips the hotels have asked us for it.

Glad to read some CM's are bearing down more as far as asking for Florida ID. I would think when you check-in at the resort, it would be automatic for the CM to ask for proof of residency as soon as the CM looks at the reservation info and sees a FL resident discount was applied. Same for AP holders -- if a person has booked a reservation with an AP discount, then the CM should retrieve the reservation and automatically ask to see proof of an AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter