• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fly or drive to Disney?

lnhoog

Earning My Ears
We think we are going to take our 2 and 3 yr olds to WDW. If we drive, it will be a 15 hour trip. With all the security at the airports and the recommendation to be there 3 hrs before your flight, would it be better to drive with them in the car or get on an airplane to fly? Has anyone flown with two toddlers since the new security measures were taken?

I would drive. But I hate to fly. We have an 11 hr. drive. Sept. we did it with a 3yr. DD. She was as good as gold, couldn't believe it. She usually drives us nuts with a 2 hr. drive. We bought those wonder markers and paper and coloring book that crayola makes, they can only write on their own special paper. Also brought her magna doodle. We broke up the drive into 2 days. Felt rested when we got there. Going in may with her and a 14 mon. old. We have invested in a vcr in a bag for the car. I hope this helps. We will once again break up the trip into 2 days. I'm a little anxious about the 14 month old. Oh well, it'll be an adventure. Good Luck.

We flew in October with 3 1/2 year old twins and an 8 year old. We didn't want to spend 2 days each way in the car since our daughter would be missing a few days of school anyway. The new security procedures were not a problem. The flights were both on time and great. It only takes 2 hours to fly which was really the best part. We knew that we would all be tired and nuts if we drove!

I vote for flying!

We live ~ 14 hours from WDW, and we drive (and that's w/ 4 kids) :p

What we like to do is go about 2/3 of the way down the first day, stay at a decent place with a pool, and use the travel day as part of the vacation - the youngest loves hotels, going out to eat, swimming, etc. Then the anticipation on arriving the second day is terrific.

We bring movies, coloring books, snacks, etc. to keep the kids happy. The kids are really great in the car.

The drive back is a bit of a bummer, but like I said, make it part of the vacation by staying at a decent place.

Have fun!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :smooth: :cool:

I recommend the TV/VCR for the car too. We have one and our 2yr old loves it. We can do 6-7 hours at a time happily. We usually have more trouble getting her to take a break than to ride. It can also be plugged in in the room when you arrive for late night movies.

No little children, but we always drive. It takes us 12 hours. We break it into tow days going down, but drive straight home. We stay at Lake City, Florida on the way down.

That's a manageable drive if flying would take a long time where you are. We drive about 8 hours because we'd have to make a layover to get to Orlando, and by the time you factor in getting to the airport early, changing planes, finding our luggage, and getting a ride to the hotel, it takes about the same amount of time to drive with less money and no chance of losing our luggage.

If your kids don't sleep in the car, I wouldn't try it. But if they're usually pretty good, it's worth a try.

Going to drive to WDW this summer, We have two weeks for this trip, Thinking about stoping at Panama city beach on the way down?? Looks like about 18-20 hours from SW MO. WDW 4 US.......CBR99,Allstar Movies Feb2001, Allstar Music Aug2001........

We drive every year from Illinois! I hate flying, but, it's also a way to save some money. We have the tv/vcr combo in the car, we stop 1/2 way overnight, it's long but, worth it.

Have fun!

We're also 15hrs away. We drive. TV/VCR works great with our kids (7 & 11). We also plug in the playstation and we recently discovered books on audio tape are fun for everyone. Now if I can just get my DS to go more that 1.5hrs between pit-stops. :(

You'll know better than anyone of your toddlers can handle long drives. When our kids were that young, they didn't travel well, so we flew.

If they will nap , it would be great. My son doesn't nap anymore at all, but on the way home from WDW (a 3 hr drive) he was asleep within minutes and slept the whole way home. I would drive, so that you have your car. I think flying is convenient for adults, but trying to keep kids occupied in an airport while you are trying to get important things done and then on the plane (without much room) and trying not to disturb other passengers- all that said- I would drive and make it fun!!! Our best driving time has always been very early morning. If you get an early start, you may just make it in one day. Play it by ear and see how they do-if not you can stay over and finish the trip the next morning. Maybe swicthing their places in the car halfway through might help (a change of scenery).

We chose to fly in Nov. b/c our 14 month DD does not take well to long car trips. However our friends who met us down there decided to drive with their 2 1/2 yo b/c he loves car trips. They had an 18 hour drive.

We did not have to wait long for security measures and the airline told us two hours b/4 take off would be plenty of time. We did three hours early anyway and found ourselves with two and half hours free time. Security on the way back also did not take long. We flew out of Philly for your reference.

We've done both (kids are now 3 and 5) but prefer driving. TV/VCR in car with videos borrowed from neighbors so they seem new and interesting (neighbors borrow yours while you're gone). Also, we leave at noon so kids fall asleep shortly after leaving and drive til about 11 p.m. Start about 7 the next morning (stay at a hotel that has free breakfast you can take with you in car) and we're at WDW by 5 at latest. Our trip is 18-20 hours depending on # of stops we make. I like driving because we can take everything we want- double stroller, toys etc. Also, we like to drive to the parks instead of taking the bus and go off-site to shop and eat some times. This is all so much easier with your own car. When we flew they lost our double stroller and 1 car seat that we had checked and didn't find them until the next day which was a big hassle. One last tip, if you stop for fast food along the way, let the kids play and run around while you eat and order their food as you're leaving to eat in the car. That way they get to run around - the last thing they'll want to do is sit some more and eating in the car gives them something to do when you start driving again. Unless of course you're car is a no-food zone but I'm no sure that's possible with little ones!:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter