flying American, would you fly basic economy on a flight that has no middle seats? +

I flew American on Basic Economy with kids and reviewed their policy before purchase and I believe they do have a policy to seat children with parents.

Maybe I’m cheap but I’d take the chance with luggage - it’s pretty rare especially if no connection.
American has always sat me with my youngest child even with basic economy. I recently looked it up again since DD turned 13 and what I found said children under 15.
Here's the link (scroll down): https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/special-assistance/traveling-children.jsp

United, OTOH, didn't care about a then-much younger DD sitting with one of us. Ticketing said, "They'll fix it at the gate," Gate said, "Attendants will seat her with one of us," Attendants said, "Go ask another passenger to switch".

American I trust will seat kids with their parents, especially a young one, I wouldn't trust United.

American I trust will seat kids with their parents, especially a young one, I wouldn't trust United.
In all fairness, it is or should be, first, the traveling adult's responsibility to ensure their child(ren) sit with them. If that means buying a more expensive type ticket, buy the more expensive tickets. Don't ever rely on the airline to reseat others for one's own convenience, or even peace of mind.

There is zero chance I would trust any airline to seat me with my child if I purchased a ticket that wasn’t appropriate for my needs. BE isn’t appropriate if you need to sit with your party. Period.

All it takes is a full flight packed with families (like Disney flights) and you might not have seats where it’s possible.

Why start with stress? Book the appropriate tier of tickets.

I thought American basic economy only included a "personal item" that will go under your seat - not a "carry on" to go in the overhead bin?

26AF019B-8D14-4B98-AD0B-1EE0E90D3F96.jpeg

In all fairness, it is or should be, first, the traveling adult's responsibility to ensure their child(ren) sit with them. If that means buying a more expensive type ticket, buy the more expensive tickets. Don't ever rely on the airline to reseat others for one's own convenience, or even peace of mind.
I know that now, lesson learned. If they had presented it that way, fine. But they didn't, they just kept assuring us one person would sit with DD or I would have upgraded had it even been offered. (It probably wasn't offered because it turned out they overbooked the flight by several people and all passengers had shown up. It took them about an hour of throwing increased amounts of money at people to change flights before they got anyone to accept).

I used to fly United with my then even younger kids all the time. Never had a problem back then.

This week I'm flying United for the first time since then. And yes, I did buy the upgraded tickets.

I would think about the people they had to move around in order to accommodate someone else who didn't buy the seat type they should have. I would be a bit miffed if I bought a seat and was moved for someone who hadn't.

Even "better" - picture yourself as the person who paid extra to select a specific seat, being forced to move for someone who didn't plan ahead.

Agree with everyone saying they won't separate you - but they may have to rearrange someone else to get you seated.

American Basic Economy does not always deliver seat assignments at check in time - only sometimes. In fact on my last one my CONNECTING flight would not assign a seat until I arrived at the connection airport! Totally sucks.

The Embraer RJ overhead bins may or may not be full depending on how many people have roll aboards. (Not rollerboards please.) They will gate check roll aboards. If there are a lot and your bag is squishy enough to go overhead you will have a space.

Gate checks depend on the airport and route. Most of the time they return them on the jetway at the next airport, but sometimes they insist on checking to the final destination.

This:

I would think about the people they had to move around in order to accommodate someone else who didn't buy the seat type they should have. I would be a bit miffed if I bought a seat and was moved for someone who hadn't.

And this:
Even "better" - picture yourself as the person who paid extra to select a specific seat, being forced to move for someone who didn't plan ahead.

It’s not just about planning, it’s about paying. I pay extra to select a seat but I have to move for somebody who paid for a cheaper category? I would not be a happy camper.

We fly American as thats the main airline flying out of our airport and those close to us.
I have not flown their basic plan as you have no option to pick a seat and you will be at the back of the plane.
There also were several more differences that were not worth the savings to us.
If you are flying on a smaller plane, most carry-ons will have to be gate checked. This means a wait of up to 30 minutes to get your bag as you are de-planing.
This is why I now have a backpack as my carryon instead of the small suitcase I used to use. It doesn't fit under the seat or in teh small overhead bin.

Okay, there is difference between gate checked bags and valet bags.

Gate checked bags are bags that will be tagged as checked baggage at the gate. You cannot retrieve that bag after it has been taken - don't bother asking, it's no longer eligible to be in the sterile areas. You have to retrieve it at baggage claim.

Valet bags are bags that are taken from you and will be returned to you on the jet bridge when you get off your flight and are used on flights where overhead bins do not accommodate normal sized rollers.

While an EMB-175 is considered a regional jet, it does not receive valet bag service. Overhead bins on a 170/175/190 all accommodate rollers so if they run out of room then your bag will be gate checked just like any mainline flight.

---

Also, I'll add that you should buy a regular ticket. I've flown basic before but that's also when I was traveling solo and it was a short flight where I didn't really care if I ended up in the middle. If you are basic economy and you ask me to give up my aisle or window seat then I am not personally going to do it. If you get a crew member that instructs me to do it then I guess I have no choice but I am certainly not going to give it up just because a passengers asks me to. If you want to save money by flying basic then part of the deal is that you may not get your ideal seating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter