Flying Fish Review

DrivenByDisney

4.3 Miles from Property
Last evening my wife and I headed out to the Boardwalk to give the "new" Flying Fish a go for dinner. The decor is a little different from the older version of the restaurant but still, very nice on the inside and comfortable for dinning.

We started with the Corn-Encrusted Wild Gulf Shrimp & the Blue Crab Bisque. The shrimp were prepared very well with just enough breading to not over due it. The shrimp itself were fresh and cooked perfectly.

14100314_1425984614094737_679994086973828980_n.jpg

The Blue Crab Bisque was also very good! It had a good amount of ample crab meat to make it a filling starter though not too much. Again, prepared perfectly.

14040114_1425984650761400_1618194617765604380_n.jpg

For our entree, we shared the Wagyu Filet Mignon. This was one of the best meals I have had in some time. Easily in the top-10 best steaks I have ever eaten. It was prepared perfectly. The bordelaise sauce was awesome and the vegetables were cooked to perfection.

14079861_1425984680761397_6159902438326105975_n.jpg

14021565_1425984704094728_3701354247010059084_n.jpg

14022293_1425984710761394_4293713724977824775_n.jpg

Again, this was easily the best meal I have had on Disney property since moving here three years ago. Everything was cooked to perfection and was delicious. If you were apprehensive about eating here after the refurbishment, don't.

In my opinion this meal/steak was easily better than Le Cellier, Yachtsman & Shulu's. The only other steak that was this good (no better no worse) was at Bull & Bear.

We will be eating here again in the very near future. New favourite restaurant on property!

Thanks for the review Eddie! I've been trying to convince DW to add FF to our "possibilities" list but she won't go near anything that comes from water. I tell her the reviews on the steak are outstanding, maybe your review will push her over the edge (so to speak.) :earsboy:

Thank you. We are so excited to eat here in early October :)

Last edited:

Definitely not a big enough steak to share, but looks amazing for sure. We went before the refurbishment and can't wait to go back since the new opening.

Thanks for the report. Great photos, but I have to admit I'm still on the fence about trying it right now.

Yours is the third review I've seen since the reopening, and while reviews sound good, I'm skeptical because the menu doesn't call to me.

We want to do one signature-level meal on our upcoming trip, and I'm debating between here, BlueZoo and Shula's. I have a 20% off coupon for Shula's so it has an edge for that reason. We're staying at the Swan so I will scout them out to see if any offer daily specials that sound extraordinary.

Definitely not a big enough steak to share, but looks amazing for sure. We went before the refurbishment and can't wait to go back since the new opening.

HA! I should have stated that is a half of the steak. They prepared it like that as we stated we would be sharing the meal. It's literally twice the size and portions of sides as well. That was just a picture of the half meal on my plate.

Thanks for sharing your great photos and review. Looking forward to our Flying Fish experience in September.

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear your steak was good. Have you (or anyone) tried STK? If so, how does it compare to this, Yachtsman, Le Cellier, and yes even Bull and Bear?

We really enjoyed our meal there last week. There were 8 of us...4 adults, 4 kids age 7-15

The octopus and sea bass entree that I had was amazing. The tuna app was better than the pork belly

The desserts were simply the best we had ever had on property.

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear your steak was good. Have you (or anyone) tried STK? If so, how does it compare to this, Yachtsman, Le Cellier, and yes even Bull and Bear?

We have eaten at STK and it is better than there by far. In my opinion, this is now mt favourite steak on property. Yes ... Over Bull & Bear, Yachtsman, Le Cellier & Shulu's. Bull & Bear is still 1a though.

The steak looks perfectly cooked. How did you order it?

Medium Rare. And it was cooked perfectly! I like mine rare/RARE but my wife likes it just as it was served to us that evening.

We really enjoyed our meal there last week. There were 8 of us...4 adults, 4 kids age 7-15

The octopus and sea bass entree that I had was amazing. The tuna app was better than the pork belly

The desserts were simply the best we had ever had on property.
Glad you enjoyed it! I remember you asking about this vs Biergarten :) did the kids enjoy?

Our Ratings of Flying Fish: (*rev 8/05/2016*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a
Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Blue Crab Bisque
. . . entree:.. Plancha-Seared Hokkaido Scallops (Wagyu Filet Mignon for the carnivores)
. . . dessert:. Chocolate Banana Napoleon
NOTE1: It is fully remodelled. Gone is the colorful and playful Boardwalk Casual dress, and the place is quite a bit more formal looking, including waitstaff. The inside is darker in atmosphere and decor. (READ: Black and Whites tones instead of beachy colors.) I hope this urges people to wear collar shirts and nice shorts/pants, and not simply "park attire".

NOTE2: Per Disney, on average, Flying Fish is the most expensive eatery at WDW on a revenue-per-capita basis (even more revenue per person than Victoria & Albert's). Service is pretty good, but not commensurate with price. Scallops for $45 and Wagyu Beef for $58 should be fantastic, and not only just average. It should be accompanied with superb service and a super atmosphere. That is why the price value only is "C", where it could have been an easy "B". It must also be noted that one needs to bring a sweater/jacket - temperature is kept near that of the North Pole in Mid-December.

Our Ratings of Flying Fish: (*rev 8/05/2016*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a
Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Blue Crab Bisque
. . . entree:.. Plancha-Seared Hokkaido Scallops (Wagyu Filet Mignon for the carnivores)
. . . dessert:. Chocolate Banana Napoleon
NOTE1: It is fully remodelled. Gone is the colorful and playful Boardwalk Casual dress, and the place is quite a bit more formal looking, including waitstaff. The inside is darker in atmosphere and decor. (READ: Black and Whites tones instead of beachy colors.) I hope this urges people to wear collar shirts and nice shorts/pants, and not simply "park attire".

NOTE2: Per Disney, on average, Flying Fish is the most expensive eatery at WDW on a revenue-per-capita basis (even more revenue per person than Victoria & Albert's). Service is pretty good, but not commensurate with price. Scallops for $45 and Wagyu Beef for $58 should be fantastic, and not only just average. It should be accompanied with superb service and a super atmosphere. That is why the price value only is "C", where it could have been an easy "B". It must also be noted that one needs to bring a sweater/jacket - temperature is kept near that of the North Pole in Mid-December.

I have to disagree with the C for value. There was nothing average with the Wagyu that I had. It was easily one of the best steaks I have ever eaten.

thanks for the info and the review!
Flying Fish Cafe was always one of my favorite signatures on property.
When I looked at the new menu I have been a little hesitant.
I'm heading to WDW for 8 days in October. Thinking of giving it a try but still not sure.
All of my faves are gone from the menu. :(
Looking at the menu now, I'd probably order the Bisque & either the Scallops or Wagyu filet.

This has always been our favorite and we missed it tremendously during the remodel, as we had three visits that they weren't open. We will be there in October and am also very skeptical as the menu is not calling to me. What I definitely do not see are any of the fantastic salads we had in the past as well as the mozzarella tomato salad, which was amazing. We have reserved three of our five nights to eat here and hope we will not be disappointed. Has anyone heard when the Chefs Wine Tasting Dinner will return?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter