Flying in on the day of your cruise, should I consider it?

I don't know, I might risk it. Based on the time of year, and that Delta operates many flights on this route. There is a direct flight every hour. Even if the first four flights would be cancelled, the fifth arrives around 12:30 and would give you time to get to the ship.
Yes, of course there can be delays, cancellations, road blocks, etc. and a cruise is expensive, but yes, I might risk it, if the deal is good or there is no other option due to work.

If you are comfortable with possibly having to join the ship at the next port, then do it.

Personally, I wouldn't fly out the day of.

Nope- out of Atlanta- on Delta. Had a really bad experience with both. Stuck on that airplane for hours. Because a safety light on the wing tip was out. Once we have had the bad experience you are done. So, whatever you can tolerate and even if there is the slimest of chances you could miss your cruise, would you be heartbroken? Only you can answer that question. Hope you make the decision that suits you best. Enjoy your cruise!

Not a chance I've seen way too many times there's an infinite number of reasons a flight can be delayed or cancelled. I never fly on a low frequency like once a day or worse once a week or the last flight of the day. I give myself contingency plans when I book. We treat our hotel stays as the start of our vacation even if that means pre flight hotel in Buffalo followed by a Country Inn and Suites stay in PC. Gives us a chance to relax, shop, have a good dinner at Kelsey's.
Now like others have posted you are from Atlanta, if everything goes south you could drive and most likely make it but that is your scenario. If everything goes south for me it's still a good 20 hour drive.

Just food for thought here.... I booked flights for our November 2020 cruise a month ago, and have already received itinerary changes that affected our arrival/departure time. I've already had to switch flights at 10 months out. I personally wouldn't chance it.

Been there, done that. Flew out a day early. The plane was diverted to another city because the airport had bad winds. Only the passengers got off, none of the luggage. All flights were booked to continue. Got a rental car and drove. Last one on the ship (Celebrity) with just minimal clothes in the carry-on. We go 2 days early now.

I know that it is not advised to fly in on the day of your cruise, but that thought has entered my mind. If we book a direct flight with Delta from Atlanta to Orlando with a departure time of like 6:30 that morning I think we would still be OK in the event of a delayed flight. What say you?
I fly for work all the time, and if I make plans that are time-constraint; the airplanes ALWAYS FAIL ME - go in the day before

If you are comfortable with possibly having to join the ship at the next port, then do it.

Personally, I wouldn't fly out the day of.
This is not always do-able. Depends on the itinerary whether someone can join the ship in the next (or a subsequent) port to complete the cruise.

Just a note: a "direct" flight is not a non-stop flight. It's the airlines' way of making us think it's a good choice. I believe the OP is referencing a non-stop flight from ATL to MCO. Even in that case, I would arrive a day in advance.

given it's delta out of atlanta, perhaps...
but i wouldn't dare check my luggage..
i would only take carry on bags, nothing checked in...

Only a person who has never experienced a delayed or cancelled flight, or, had their luggage LOST on a direct flight would even ask this question... Why risk missing the ship or not having your luggage with you. No thank you. I would get there at least a day ahead of time.
No, a person who doesn't have tons of vacation time is also someone who would ask the question. I've had flights delayed, cancelled and luggage misrouted multiple times. However, I also mentally have kept track of what airlines, seasons, times of day, and airports these have happened in, and that helps form my understanding of the odds.

I know that early morning flights are the most likely flights to depart on time, and the least likely to be cancelled. (One reason I dislike flying in the night before a big trip is that night flights are so frequently delayed or even cancelled.) I know from life experience that southern thunderstorms hit in the afternoon and evening, not early morning. I know that nonstop flights are more reliable in regards to schedule and luggage than are flights with stops. I even know how to pack a carry-on bag that contains our cruise necessities so we won't be left high and dry on the off-chance our checked baggage is misrouted and misses the ship.

So this isn't about lack of experience. I am a schoolteacher and my son is at a challenging high school, and I share custody on a strict schedule. So vacation time is limited, and if flying in the morning of is logistically the best way for us to get there, we'll do so. We often do not have the luxury of arriving a full day before, due to our schedules.

Last edited:
Definitely not. Anything could go wrong - weather, mechanical, etc. Flights often become so delayed they cancel and try to scramble rebooking people. It's too risky to me.

I mean, I know pilots who won't fly out the day of something they need to be at on time.

Pilots don't fly out the day of something they need to be at on time because they're trying to jumpseat/non-rev.

No, a person who doesn't have tons of vacation time is also someone who would ask the question. I've had flights delayed, cancelled and luggage misrouted multiple times. However, I also mentally have kept track of what airlines, seasons, times of day, and airports these have happened in, and that helps form my understanding of the odds.

I know that early morning flights are the most likely flights to depart on time, and the least likely to be cancelled. (One reason I dislike flying in the night before a big trip is that night flights are so frequently delayed or even cancelled.) I know from life experience that southern thunderstorms hit in the afternoon and evening, not early morning. I know that nonstop flights are more reliable in regards to schedule and luggage than are flights with stops. I even know how to pack a carry-on bag that contains our cruise necessities so we won't be left high and dry on the off-chance our checked baggage is misrouted and misses the ship.

So this isn't about lack of experience. I am a schoolteacher and my son is at a challenging high school, and I share custody on a strict schedule. So vacation time is limited, and if flying in the morning of is logistically the best way for us to get there, we'll do so. We often do not have the luxury of arriving a full day before, due to our schedules.

Yup, all of this. First flights generally make it out. Plus, it's a 7 hour drive from Atlanta if something gets delayed. You can make it.

There are no ground delay programs / flow control issues to Florida if you're leaving at 6AM.

Thunderstorms are brutal in spring and summer in the south and they happen mid to late afternoon. That's when it's an issue. Planes go into holding, they don't have enough fuel and then they divert. Once planes begin to divert then it's game over.

Pilots don't fly out the day of something they need to be at on time because they're trying to jumpseat/non-rev.

In this case, no. He actually flies for a regional, so he is rarely trying to get non-rev for any destination worth getting to. He did fly for AA for a while.

I work for a major airline and when I fly to go on a cruise I buy real tickets. Theres absolutely no way Id fly in morning of (I wont even fly in night before on the last flight in) You should consider the following common causes of delay/cancellation:
mechanical, weather at your origin, weather at destination, weather at another airport that causes a delay of cancellation so aircraft does not arrive at your origin, weather at another airport that causes delay or cancellation that causes your flying crew to not be legal to fly or causes their crew rest to be extended which causes your flight to be delayed, crew sick call which can cause a delay as there is a minimum call out time for crew, atc delays at origin, atc delays at destination, catering delays, return to gate due to sick passenger or inflight disturbance equals delay,computer issues, tsa issues, car/traffic issues causing you to miss your flight no availability on later flights (our flight was cancelled last spring break could not get us confirmed onto another flight for 24 hours luckily we had decided to fly in 2 days ahead) Far too stressful even with insurance just think how many other expenditures that are not covered by insurance....

From Atlanta to MCO at 6:30 in the morning in May? That would be like, the one situation I would be okay with it. In the scheme of risking not getting there in time, this is one of the lowest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!