Flying out of BWI - Any Tips

soccermom22

Earning My Ears
We are flying out of BWI on January 12th (Sunday). ME, my DH, 3 DD's (13,10 and 4). We will be spending the night prior at the on-site Sheraton. Any tips we should know about, where to park, getting to the terminal, checking in (SW airlines) food for breakfast. Any help is appreciated - first time flying since 9/11 and I am very nervous.

Thanks,
:Pinkbounc

First of all, don't be nervous about flying. My first trip after 9/11 was to Madrid and I was very aprehensive about flying, so I know how you feel. Everything will be just fine. BWI now has the federal screeners for security and they are much more efficient and courteous than the private companies that used to handle the screening. Please note that you will probably have to remove any heavy coats and put them thru the screening machine. Since you have a small child, you might want to dress her with that in mind. The federal screeners are much more informative about what might cause a problem with the security machines and will gladly answer questions. Generally, if they suggest you take your coat or shoes or belt off and put them thru the machine, I would follow their instructions. It may save you from beeping when you walk thru the arch and then having to be wanded.

I have never flown SW out of BWI but my stepdaughter and famliy do regularly. She always insists on getting to BWI at least two hours ahead of the flight time because of SW's boarding procedure. They issue boarding cards by letters-a, b, c. The people who check-in the earliest get a "A" card and get to board the plane first. You select your seat once you are on the plane-no specific seat assignments by the airline. Since there are five in your group, and you probably want to sit togther, I would get there early. Sometimes the check-in line can be long.

If you do check-in early and need breakfast, you can grab a snack while waiting to board or to take on the flight. I think they give you a beverage and that is all.

Since we have only dropped off or picked up people at BWI, I am absolutley no help with the parking question.

Just a word about the Orlando airport (MCO). When we flew home from there last February, the security lines were long. Lots of children (I wonder why!) and it just takes longer to move thru security. We were on a mid-morning flight and apparently, unless you fly very early or very late in the day, the line are always bad. You may want to allow additional time there so you won't be rushed to make your flight home. I had a friend who had a business trip to Orlando the week before Thansgiving and he said it took him 25 minutes to get thru the security check point late in the afternoon.

I just flew out of bwi last saturday for the 5th time since 9/11. Since it was just me, i was there about 60 minutes early, still got in seating section B on 2nd. I think you can park your car for free at the sheraton and use their shuttle to the airport. Thats why alot of people stay the night before, check with the hotel. I know alot of hotels near airport do this to get the business. If you have small kids i believe under 5, you get to board first, ask at checkin. So you can go on ahead with 5 year old and whole party, if not just save them seats when they get on. I got picked for random screening, if your boarding pass has a checkerboard, then you get it. As soon as i got done, they put me in front of the line to board the plane. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter