flying questions

lovespoohbear

DIS Veteran
has anyone flown that has a permobile wheelchair that also uses a hoyer lift to transfer? i was wondering about people's experiences flying and if electric wheelchair has ever been damaged and what you did when you were in orlando with a broken chair? also was wondering how you got to wdw from airport cheap? if you use a hoyer lift what company did you rent from and what was your experience with that company? thanks for the help.

lovespoohbear said:
has anyone flown that has a permobile wheelchair that also uses a hoyer lift to transfer? i was wondering about people's experiences flying and if electric wheelchair has ever been damaged and what you did when you were in orlando with a broken chair? also was wondering how you got to wdw from airport cheap? if you use a hoyer lift what company did you rent from and what was your experience with that company? thanks for the help.

I can't make comment on the hoyer lift (Idon'teven know what it is), but I have flown to WDW with an electric powerchair (Invacare Storm) and have had breakdowns.

In the past I have used Mears wheelchair bus MCO to WDW$26 return with discount coupon. Not yet used Magic Express.

Ground crews that load & unload aircraft will not necessarily be as careful with your chair as you would be. Take off anything that comes off, such as cusions & footplates and take them into the cabin with you. Disable the power if you can (I once arrived at MCO with flat batteries because something was switche on during my 9 hour flight). Check chair over before leaving airport, as it wil be difficult to prove damage once you leave.

Take list of Orlando repair dealers with you just in case.

One trip my chair broke down. Redcap pushed me (in freewheel mode) all the way from curbside checkin to gate, whilst pulling luggage with other hand. (Tipped him well) Manual chairs at MCO have fixed armrests making sliding transfers difficult, plus welded on flagpoles making them impossible to bring into Mears van to transfer from van seat.

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter