Flying Swoop in the summer

I wish we had a discount carrier like that in Ottawa....My other choice is to get to Montreal or Syracuse.
Ogdensburg (1 hour away) and Plattsburgh (2.5 hours away) are great options for discount flights close to Ottawa

We were totally on the fence about Swoop. It was very affordable when I was first looking for flights. Then I've heard horror stories about being stranded with cancellations. I just don't know. All I know is IF there was a cancellation on a bigger airline they would probably find you a different flight either same day or very close to it since they have more flights/planes going out. That's the biggest problem I think with Swoop, they don't have the planes to reschedule you quickly in case that happens. I know some love Swoop and other discount airlines and have had lots of successful flights with them and it certainly is affordable. I've never flown with them so I can't really say, but we did decide against it in fear of the "what ifs." We went Southwest before and we're with them again this time too.

Here's why Swoop having cancellations is a bigger impact than WestJet or Air Canada - Swoop has 9 aircraft in their fleet. NINE.

WestJet has 125 and Air Canada has 189. When a Swoop flight gets cancelled, they do not have the supply to send out another aircraft to correct it for the passengers. If your flights cancelled because of a crew member call-in, they don't have another flight coming in that a replacement crew member can deadhead in on, even if they have a replacement crew member available. In short, you are stuck. If that is something you can afford (extra hotel nights, food, etc) then no big deal, but if you HAVE to make it home on time it may be worth spending a little more on a larger airline.

IMHO.

We went Southwest before and we're with them again this time too.

I love Southwest so much. I've gotten a few free flights with them with the points I've collected (they have a great rewards program!), and their crew is always great. People that genuinely like their jobs. I have them booked for my next trip, and this morning I got an email that they changed my flight - it went from a direct, 2hour flight in the evening to a 6.5hour itinerary with 2 stops!! Easy-peasy, I can fix this, I just logged into the system under the reservation, click "change flight" and am able change their crazy itinerary it at no charge.....because of their changes (and awesome change policy) I'm now on a new direct flight that gets me into Orlando 5 hours earlier at no extra cost. I'll take it!

They're so easy to deal with, they're not always the cheapest option but when they are I'm a happy camper :)

With southwest, are the points and rewards the same? Also, I have an account, and usually book for all of us (husband/kids), will I accumulate those points too, or just for my 1 flight?

I love Southwest so much. I've gotten a few free flights with them with the points I've collected (they have a great rewards program!), and their crew is always great. People that genuinely like their jobs. I have them booked for my next trip, and this morning I got an email that they changed my flight - it went from a direct, 2hour flight in the evening to a 6.5hour itinerary with 2 stops!! Easy-peasy, I can fix this, I just logged into the system under the reservation, click "change flight" and am able change their crazy itinerary it at no charge.....because of their changes (and awesome change policy) I'm now on a new direct flight that gets me into Orlando 5 hours earlier at no extra cost. I'll take it!

They're so easy to deal with, they're not always the cheapest option but when they are I'm a happy camper :)

We usually fly Southwest as well. I just booked our next flight with Jetblue which is supposed to be great as well. It had great flight times and much better pricing this time than Southwest or others.

As for Swoop, as I have said in a previous post, I had a nightmare happen with them. The nightmare isn't that they cancelled the flight and we had to wait till later to get home, it was how they handled it. They just left everything up to us. Thankfully for us, we have annual passes so I just phoned Disney up, got us a room at Pop and spent the couple of days at the parks while we waited for a way to get home.

Wow! getting free flights must be nice! We're booked with Southwest as well. We've flown with them before and are very happy with their service.
I also got an email yesterday notifying me of a ten minute change on my departing flight. This left my husband and I wondering.. Could we possibly change the departing flight to an even later one or will that cost anything? We were a little nervous going through to actually change things because we didn't want to screw anything up and the time change is absolutely fine, but, since they are giving the option for changes, will this cost anything to change to a later one?? Do they give you all the flight options or just a few select ones to switch to?

Wow! getting free flights must be nice! We're booked with Southwest as well. We've flown with them before and are very happy with their service.
I also got an email yesterday notifying me of a ten minute change on my departing flight. This left my husband and I wondering.. Could we possibly change the departing flight to an even later one or will that cost anything? We were a little nervous going through to actually change things because we didn't want to screw anything up and the time change is absolutely fine, but, since they are giving the option for changes, will this cost anything to change to a later one?? Do they give you all the flight options or just a few select ones to switch to?

I'm not sure about changing because of the time change, but I can tell you I have done a ton of Southwest flights and also changed them loads and re-booked with price drops etc. When you go to alter your itinerary you typically only have to pay the difference between the two flight costs if there is one or if the flight is less expensive you would get the difference in a credit back that you would need to use with one year of the date of the original booking, same passengers.

With southwest, are the points and rewards the same? Also, I have an account, and usually book for all of us (husband/kids), will I accumulate those points too, or just for my 1 flight?
No, you'll only have points for what's been booked in your name. Make sure to give them all Rapid Rewards accounts too - sometimes you can even call and get past flights added into new accounts (if it's within a reasonable timeframe).

You can always change your flight, but if it costs more you'll have to pay the difference and if it costs less you'll get the difference back in credit. Since it was only a 10min change and not a complete schedule/itinerary change you likely can't make the move for free (it'll have a red banner at the top if you can, they make it very clear).

I don't think Southwest flies out of Winnipeg. Or if it does, I don't see it.
Sadly no, it's a US based airline. We drive over to Buffalo for it

No, you'll only have points for what's been booked in your name. Make sure to give them all Rapid Rewards accounts too - sometimes you can even call and get past flights added into new accounts (if it's within a reasonable timeframe).

You can always change your flight, but if it costs more you'll have to pay the difference and if it costs less you'll get the difference back in credit. Since it was only a 10min change and not a complete schedule/itinerary change you likely can't make the move for free (it'll have a red banner at the top if you can, they make it very clear).

Sadly no, it's a US based airline. We drive over to Buffalo for it

Is that even for kids? Where would their "points" or rewards go if I cannot accumulate them? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter