Flying with kids HELP!

ToyStory Fan

Space Ranger
Okay here's the deal...DW and I have driven the past 2 years to the WORLD. '01 because it was only 1 month after 9/11 (we're from NY, so that hit too close to home for us), and then in '02 because you'd need to sedate my dad to even get him to an airport (even before 9/11).

We're thinking about flying this go-round just because I think it'll be more difficult (than in the past) driving with 2 kids (4 and 1-1/2), but at the same time I think flying with 2 kids/car-seats will prove more difficult than driving...how do 2 parents carry all of this STUFF, luggage, stroller, 2-car seats, and any other "carry-on" items like cameras that you wouldn't want to check in your now to be unlocked checked luggage????

I'm really trying to see the benefit of flying here, but I just feel like I'm going to be overwhelmed, don't get me wrong, there's nothing like being there in 3 hours, but is it really 3 hours...arrive at airport 2 hours prior to departure, 3 hour flight, 1 hour to get the car and luggage and car seats situated...we're up to 6 hours now, and then drive to the WORLD, probably, another hour...so let's call it 7 hours. All I'm saving is 11-12 hours (with good weather I've done the trip in 18-1/2 hours door to door) Is the airport aggravation worth the 11-12 hour savings, or is there some trick that I don't know about for making the flight/arrival with SOOOO much stuff to carry easier?

... I'm sure there are at least that many I don't know, and I've logged over 100,000 airmiles with kids over the past 6 years.
We will fly if there is more than 2 hours' difference in the travel time, counting the airport wait.

Others will disagree w/ me on some of these things, but I'll tell you what works for us.

1. Do NOT overpack! As you have realized, when travelling via air with small ones, there are other things besides suitcases which must be transported. First off, bring dollars and tip well. Keep down the number of carry-on bags to absolute essentials, mostly kid stuff. Use a large suitcase and check it as soon as possible, less stuff to maneuver. As a general rule, pack a pullman & skip the 22" carryons. (Rolling luggage is great, but you usually can't pull more than one framed suitcase with one hand.)

We use what we call the "hand-rule" to keep the luggage under control. We take only as many items as we have adult hands to manage them, and the rule sets aside one adult hand for managing each child. A stroller may substitute for one pair of hands, as it takes two hands to manage a loaded stroller. By this rule, if you have 2 adults and 2 kids, you are allowed the stroller, one carryon, and one suitcase, which is to be checked. The carseats count, so figure that in (that's why we use a backpack to transport them; the person pushing the stroller can wear the backpack.) I also ditch the purse; I use a string wallet while travelling, with the essential ID's and money only. The rest of the important "purse stuff" can go in the diaper bag/carryon. If you have to check one carseat and take the other on board, it will get trickier, but not impossible; bungy cords help.

2. If your child is young enough to use a carseat on board the aircraft, do so. (The FAA recommendation is under 40 lbs.) It is safe and familiar, and it restrains them when you need to do simple things, like eat. Transporting a carseat is not that difficult if you make it a point to come equipped. We use a backpack-style carseat satchel. Strollers can be gate-checked, but take off all the accessories and the hood, and put them in your checked luggage; not only does it get lighter and fold smaller, it makes a better cart with all the extras removed.

3. Carry food and bottled water. In fact, use a lightweight tote for this, or a plastic bag, and make the food one of your carryons. You will have less to carry coming off the plane, when your kids may well be sleeping. Pre-cut everything, ziplocs are your FRIENDS! Pre-cut fruit is good for airport/airplane snacking, those little plastic snack cups are perfect. Remember to keep lots of wipes handy. Bring a deli sandwich for the grownups, too, but avoid strong-smelling foods.

4. Avoid booking connections if at all possible. Though kids find airports very interesting, gate areas tend to be very crowded since 9/11. Waiting in an overcrowded gate area with young children can be wearing. Also, if there are 4 of you w/ one in a carseat, book the seats 2 in front of 2; that way both kids get a window, and the older child will only be kicking the seat of his younger sibling, who probably won't notice.

5. The thing that MUST get to the airport with the proper time to spare is your checked luggage, check with your airline to get the current cut-off time. If your luggage isn't checked in on time, you will be barred from the flight. We drop off one parent with the luggage and the younger child who is in the stroller, while the other parent takes the older child on the "park the car" adventure. You tip the skycaps and get your luggage handled, then check in the bags. That means that when the others arrive, you can proceed straight to security as long as you have the boarding passes. (Tip re: boarding passes, if going to the counter is necessary, the agent will create a boarding pass for the absent parent and child, but will not turn over the adult's boarding pass without an ID. However, they will set it aside, and the other adult will not have to wait in the main line to get it. They can just wait at the rope opposite that agent's station, then show ID for the pass and pick it up as soon as the agent is free.)

6. When boarding with a carseat, beg the ramp agent to take the seat onto the aircraft early and place it in the child's seat. (They are not allowed to strap it in, BTW, so don't ask for that.) The reason for this is that a carseat must be carried onto an aircraft held above the height of the seats, it otherwise will not fit down the aisle. It's very difficult to manage that and also carry the child, so ask, but make it clear you don't expect him/her to install the seat, just set it down in the right spot.

We usually drive because of the reasons you've stated in your post, but the times we have flown we have found our double stroller to be the most helpful thing to bring. We have three DD's, 6, 4 and 1 1/2, and the last time we flew with them they were 5, 3 and 1/2. We brought the big old Graco front to back double and in it we had our youngest DD, her carseat, the older DDs backpacks w/ inflight entertainment, our carryon and the diaper bag. As you can probably imagine it was very overloaded but it did the job to get us to the gate and we gate-checked it. We were planning on using one of those luggage carts, but they made us leave it behind when they x-ray luggage and people before reaching the gate area of the airport. Thank God for the stroller. We wouldn't have been able to carry all of that stuff even if we'd wanted to. Good luck!!!!

We are just getting ready to travel across country with our soon to be 1 year old. We have already flown a couple of times with him when he was younger. A few ideas:

1) I pack only enough baby supplies to get us through the travel day (baby food, formula, diapers etc.). Once we arrive and get settled, one of us goes to the store and picks up additional supplies. We sometimes end up leaving some behind at the hotel, but it really cuts down on space in the suitcase!

2) We don't have a bag for our carseat, and we always do buy a seat for our son. We have found a way to attach the carseat to the handle of the stroller, using a bungee cord on our infant seat, and now using the tether strap on our larger carseat. This make the stroller a bit more challenging to push, but it is fine for the trip through the airport and really frees up our hands!

3) We always use a backpack for a carry on bag, so that it can be slung over our shoulders.

4) Don't be afraid to ask for help! Ask for help at the security checkpoints in getting your strollers, carseats etc.. onto the x-ray machine.

Although flying sometimes can take just as long as driving when you factor in getting to the airport early, etc.. we have always found it to be easier than driving long distances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter