FODMAP diet

I don't know which issue is worse, this or my migraines. Also, super fun fact: I often have IBS attacks alongside migraine at the same time! Super fun!
Ugh! I can relate. I wonder if there is a connection. I don’t get them very often any more and I’ve learned the early signs to nip in the bud but I get hormone related migraines too.

Yes! DH did this 6 years ago and it’s been completely life changing for him. Figured out he can’t have even a trace of dairy. It was restrictive but now that he knows what the trigger is he can eat almost anything. (Although milk is in soooo many things). I totally recommend it. He was having seemingly unpredictable issues for at least 12 years. He doesn’t take any medications or anything. Just reads every ingredient in everything to be sure there’s no milk. No need to suffer through IBS if you can find the trigger. It may not work for everyone but it’s a good place to start.

Ugh! I can relate. I wonder if there is a connection. I don’t get them very often any more and I’ve learned the early signs to nip in the bud but I get hormone related migraines too.

There is a known connection. It is thought to be hormonal since both conditions affect women much more than men.

It should help immediately. If it doesn't, food isn't causing your issues. It doesn't help everyone.
That’s kind of what I thought. Day 4 and still having issues.

I haven’t been eating much during the day for fear of having issues at work (not fun.) But after dinner I’m in the bathroom within an hour. I’m off tomorrow and am going to have “normal” sized meals to see how things go. I’m trying to gather as much information as I can for my doctor appointment on Monday. The longer this goes on the more nervous I am that it is something more serious. This just kind of feels different to me. 😕

That’s kind of what I thought. Day 4 and still having issues.

I haven’t been eating much during the day for fear of having issues at work (not fun.) But after dinner I’m in the bathroom within an hour. I’m off tomorrow and am going to have “normal” sized meals to see how things go. I’m trying to gather as much information as I can for my doctor appointment on Monday. The longer this goes on the more nervous I am that it is something more serious. This just kind of feels different to me. 😕

Sorry you are having a rough time. How old are you? Are you premenopausal? Any chance you are in perimenopause? Hormones really can do a number on IBS. I'm almost 42, for reference, and have been having a MUCH harder time controlling my IBS in the last year. I had a doctor tell me last year that I am in perimenopause and to expect an early menopause. My IBS has progressively gotten worse as my periods have also become quite unpredictable. I had my gallbladder out in 2011 so it's not related to that.

I know IBS is frustrating, but trust me, you do NOT want there to be a "reason" for it. Functional disorders are a pain, but they have no bearing on long term health (unlike Inflammatory Bowel Disease or cancer or something).

Have you tried ANY over the counter stuff? Immodium? IB Gard (it's peppermint oil capsules that calm the GI tract and should offer some releif--my GI recommends these). Perhaps grab these from the drug store today and take over the weekend to see if you get any relief.

Do you still have a gallbladder? Have you had it tested if so? That was how it started for my when I needed my gallbladder out. Good luck getting some relief.
Gallbladder issues can sometimes be hiding gluten allergy (true gluten allergy can only be diagnosed with a biopsy of colon).
Hormones really can do a number on IBS
I'd encourage anyone with IBS prolonged symptoms to get hormone levels checked including thyroid. Don't let a doc "poo poo" you (see what I did there :)) that it cannot be hormones. Too often MD's do NOT know how conditions affect women as women are usually excluded from any studies.

Sorry you are having a rough time. How old are you? Are you premenopausal? Any chance you are in perimenopause? Hormones really can do a number on IBS. I'm almost 42, for reference, and have been having a MUCH harder time controlling my IBS in the last year. I had a doctor tell me last year that I am in perimenopause and to expect an early menopause. My IBS has progressively gotten worse as my periods have also become quite unpredictable. I had my gallbladder out in 2011 so it's not related to that.

I know IBS is frustrating, but trust me, you do NOT want there to be a "reason" for it. Functional disorders are a pain, but they have no bearing on long term health (unlike Inflammatory Bowel Disease or cancer or something).

Have you tried ANY over the counter stuff? Immodium? IB Gard (it's peppermint oil capsules that calm the GI tract and should offer some releif--my GI recommends these). Perhaps grab these from the drug store today and take over the weekend to see if you get any relief.
I’m 48 and could very likely be pre-menopausal, though I’ve never been told I was. I have noticed a slight increase of issues around that time.

I’ve been using generic Imodium for years, every few days to daily. I’ve noticed in the last few months it didn’t really help anymore, so I stopped. I’m hoping to get an prescription for Cholostrymine from the doctor. It helped a lot last time I took it. It helps block the bile acids that cause the issue and as a bonus helps control cholesterol.
I really am hoping it is just a bad flare up and not something worse. You are right, it is better to be “nothing” than something that could cause more problems.

Gallbladder issues can sometimes be hiding gluten allergy (true gluten allergy can only be diagnosed with a biopsy of colon).

I'd encourage anyone with IBS prolonged symptoms to get hormone levels checked including thyroid. Don't let a doc "poo poo" you (see what I did there :)) that it cannot be hormones. Too often MD's do NOT know how conditions affect women as women are usually excluded from any studies.

I had the blood test for Celiacs about 6 years ago it numbers were at the low end of normal. So no gluten issue THEN. And as of 11 months ago my thyroid levels were normal. . Of course that means nothing about now.
I expect a full panel of blood and stool tests to be done, I will ensure they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter