Food on Mariner of the Seas

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
Looking to book a cruise on Mariner of the Seas for Jan 2020 for DH and myself. We have only sailed once and that was on the Fantasy. Just wondering what to expect in terms of food. We were very happy with the offerings on DCL and did not do any of the specialty dining, though we plan to do Palo brunch this May. If we stick mostly to the included restaurants on RCL what kind of options will we have? Looking at the website it seems so many of the restaurants cost extra. I know DCL cruises are more expensive but if we have to pay for a lot of extra dining plus our drink packages it seems we lose a chunk of that savings.

You don't have to go to any of the specialty restaurants. You said you are going to Palo on the Fantasy, and this is a specialty restaurant that you pay extra for. The only extra thing you have to pay for on RCCL that you don't on DCL is soda.
Denise

You don't have to go to any of the specialty restaurants. You said you are going to Palo on the Fantasy, and this is a specialty restaurant that you pay extra for. The only extra thing you have to pay for on RCCL that you don't on DCL is soda.
Denise
I guess what I’m asking is are the included restaurants on RCL as good as the included options on DCL? Or will I have to go to some of the specialty restaurants to get the same options/quality? Also am I reading correctly that room service is not included?
Thanks

The only restaurants “included” with no extra cost are the meals in the Main dining room, the Windjamer buffet, the Dog House (hotdogs) and Cafe Promenade which has things like ready made sandwiches, wraps, and desserts. Everything else costs extra. The food at the main dining room is very good and there are about 6 different appetizers, 8 different meals, and 5 different dessert options each night. We also enjoyed the buffet options as well which were plentiful. With that said Royal Caribbean is not Disney so the overall experience of a meal is much different even if the food is excellent. But the cost is far less than Disney. As far as room service the cost of the meal is free but there is a charge of about $8 for delivery service.

Last edited:

I guess what I’m asking is are the included restaurants on RCL as good as the included options on DCL? Or will I have to go to some of the specialty restaurants to get the same options/quality? Also am I reading correctly that room service is not included?
Thanks
Basic room service (like a continental breakfast) is included. If you wish to order eggs, pancakes, etc, there is a charge of I believe $7.95 per order (regardless of the size of the order).

I have taken 9 DCL cruises and about 7 RCCL cruises. I find the food in the main dining rooms and buffets to be about equal.

Denise

Tbh, I hated all Disney food except Palo and a couple of cold soups in main dining. That being said, Royal is mass market convention food. It’s okay over all with one or two total duds and a handful of amazing dishes. You won’t starve, but you likely won’t be terribly impressed either

We’ve found the food on the 3 ships we sailed to be quite good. We always eat in main dining at night. The exception is lobster night. Yes, the lobster tail is fine, but ordering the whole lobster (which you pay extra for) is way better.

Another thing I’ve noticed about MDR is that it is very difficult to get a mixed drink or fresh squeezed OJ there. You will get it, but you will wait a long time. Windjammer buffet is quicker for fresh squeezed OJ and mixed drinks because you go up to the bar yourself instead of waiting for someone to bring it to you. My father-in-law usually grabs cocktails from the closest bar throughout the meal rather than ordering through wait staff in MDR. We usually do wine with dinner so that is quick.

We’ve found the food on the 3 ships we sailed to be quite good. We always eat in main dining at night. The exception is lobster night. Yes, the lobster tail is fine, but ordering the whole lobster (which you pay extra for) is way better.

Another thing I’ve noticed about MDR is that it is very difficult to get a mixed drink or fresh squeezed OJ there. You will get it, but you will wait a long time. Windjammer buffet is quicker for fresh squeezed OJ and mixed drinks because you go up to the bar yourself instead of waiting for someone to bring it to you. My father-in-law usually grabs cocktails from the closest bar throughout the meal rather than ordering through wait staff in MDR. We usually do wine with dinner so that is quick.

On lobster night can you get extra lobster tails like you can on DCL?

And what about dress code on the Mariner for the Main Dining Room -- are men required to wear long pants? And how "formal" does the "formal night" get? We're on a four-day cruise.
Thanks!

And what about dress code on the Mariner for the Main Dining Room -- are men required to wear long pants? And how "formal" does the "formal night" get? We're on a four-day cruise.
Thanks!

They call it “Wear Your Best.” We saw everything from suits and nice dresses to tuxedos and formal gowns to just a button up shirt and khakis and women wearing sundresses. On normal nights long pants for men are encouraged. Shorts in the main dining room is ok for lunch and breakfast

Last edited:
This is from cruise compass on Mariner and describe the dress code for formal night

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!