Food Recommendations

DramaGeek

Earning My Ears
Having done a decent amount of research all the snacks and highly themed quick service look great. I'm thinking we should forgo any table service meals and just try lots of different things? Or is there a table service restaurant we absolutely must do?

Also the friend I am travelling with has celiacs, so any gluten free recommendations would also be great as it looks like things are going to be pretty difficult for her.

Thanks!

For me all the different foods are a huge part of our park experience. Honestly, we are happier to not do sitdown and instead do quickservice. we love stopping at all the food kiosks and we tend to snack all day. I prefer the quickservice because the theming is usually great, you dont need to worry about making it to a reservation, and the food is always fun and tasty.

We liked the Gyoza Dog & the Ukiwa bun (I even got a keyring of the Ukiwa bun) and I loved the Minnie ice cream that is enclosed in a light wafer cookie.

For meals we liked the NY Deli and we tried Miguel's El Dorado Cantina (not bad but as Texans we were amused). I wish we could have gone to the Cape Cod Cook-Off to see the Duffy Show but I guess we are saving that for next time.

I've heard that magellan's and blue bayou are outstanding which is where we've made reservations for September. We also booked a meal at Oceano buffet to get the most out of our 1 night stay at miracosta

We normally sit down. We like the (short) break as days in Tokyo Disneyland are long (i.e. arriving at least an hour early to get in line and then staying late looking at the shops, etc). And we find that buying a single meal / set is generally better value than buying multiple snacks.

Our favourite restaurants in terms of theming and food are: Magellan's, Ristorante Di Canaletto, Casbah Food Court, El Dorado Cantina, Camp Woodchuck Kitchen and Grandma Sara's Kitchen. Others are stronger when it comes to theming, for example, the Queen of Hearts Royal Banquet, but weren't awesome when it came to food.

tdrexplorer and disneytouristblog both have lots of great reviews / features on the various restaurants at each park.

Every table service restaurant has gluten free options. Disney takes food allergies very seriously. Once you tell the server there is an allergy, they get the chef to your table to make sure they know what the allergies are and tell you what you can and can't have on the menu. They'll make suggestions and make you basically anything you want.

Having done a decent amount of research all the snacks and highly themed quick service look great. I'm thinking we should forgo any table service meals and just try lots of different things? Or is there a table service restaurant we absolutely must do?

Also the friend I am travelling with has celiacs, so any gluten free recommendations would also be great as it looks like things are going to be pretty difficult for her.

Thanks!

For your friend who has celiacs, I'd inquire about the Special Dietary Menu. This is the description:
  • "Special Dietary Menu" refers to meals that do not contain the five major allergens: wheat, dairy products, eggs, buckwheat, and peanuts. For more information, please contact a Cast Member at the restaurant.
At Tokyo Disneyland, here is the restaurant list with that menu: https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdl/bfree/food . At Tokyo DisneySea, https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tds/bfree/food

My favorite snacks are the Gyoza Sausage Bun, served in Mysterious Island downstairs at the Nautilus Galley (pork in a sweet sauce served inside a steamed dumpling), Smoked Spicy Chicken Leg near Raging Spirits in Lost River Delta (best park food ever for me... I could live off those amazing chicken legs!) and the "Soda Popcorn".

My favorite sitdown restaurants are the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall (Flank Steak, as good as a steak at a signature restaurant at WDW) at Tokyo Disneyland and the curries served at the Casbah Food Court in Arabian Coast at Tokyo DisneySea.

Every table service restaurant has gluten free options. Disney takes food allergies very seriously. Once you tell the server there is an allergy, they get the chef to your table to make sure they know what the allergies are and tell you what you can and can't have on the menu. They'll make suggestions and make you basically anything you want.

That is certainly true for the other Disney properties. However, this is not generally true at the Tokyo parks. The parks will have a list of restaurants that sell gluten-free foods and gluten-free items and it will be expected that the guest orders only from those items. Food customization is not really something that is widely done in Japan, and even at Disney they will not simply customize the menu for you. They will expect you to order from the gluten free menu and that's it.

We went to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea in July 2018.

LOVE the kawaii (cute) and oshii (delicious) snacks!

Our favorites:
Gyoza sausage bun
Minnie Popsicles
Mickey Waffles (chocolate and strawberry cream syrups)
Popcorn (Milk chocolate and caramel)
Star Wars theme Mochi
Tipo Torta- long pastry dough with sweet caramel filling / strawberry filling
Mickey shaped rice crackers (We bought boxes for family, friends and coworkers.)

Sit down restaurant:
We enjoyed Restaurant Sakura at Tokyo DisneySea. We had the noodles and tempura set, steak set and Tonkatsu set (pork cutlet).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help so far :)

Does anyone know if the special menu is gluten free though as opposed to just wheat, dairy, egg, buckwheat, and peanut free - as gluten is in a lot of stuff that is regularly used to cook in Japan, especially soy sauce...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!