Foods not to eat at DL

Just wanted to comment on these two;
POPCORN - I was with you on the price of popcorn - until our recent trip to WDW. I was skeptical, but we got a bucket the first day and carried it around all week because refills are $2. That's about the cheapest snack you can get in an amusement park, especially when you can share it so easily.
BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER!!
The $2 popcorn refills are good on the maple popcorn out in front of the Canada pavilion and the flavored popcorn in front of the Imagination pavilion in EPCOT. Now THAT is a great bargain!

Popcorn is the big thing I don't understand. At least, popcorn on the Disney cruise ship.

ALL food on the cruise is free. All the Mickey Bars and chocolate chip cookies you can eat. Yet they charge for POPCORN, which is the cheapest food available. They should WANT you to eat pounds of cheap popcorn so you don't eat the expensive food. Yet popcorn is one of the few things you have to pay extra for.

I had the fried chicken that everyone seems to rave about at the Plaza Inn and it honestly wasn't very good. I wouldn't bother getting it again.

So many people post that they love it----- we had it once and maybe it was a bad day-- but it was hands down the worst fried chicken I have ever had in my life. At that point, DD loved fried chicken and had never gotten any anywhere that she wouldn't eat and we wound up throwing hers away and getting her food elsewhere. I ate more of mine than she did-- but not by much.

I have to disagree with the Monte Cristo and Churro opponents-- this thread is making me crave a Cafe Orleans Monte Cristo and Pomme Frites and a Churro from the cart in front of the castle!!

we got tricked into eating there about 11 yrs ago.

I am convinced we were tricked by the same person! We stayed at a neighboring hotel when I was probably 8 or 9 (so maybe more like 14 years ago) and some older woman also staying there raved about how good the place was. We had went there once before and was absolutely not impressed, but thought they changed. We were so wrong!!

Anytime we bring up Captain Kidd's, we always talk about how that "one grandma who was staying at the hotel tricked us into eating there" lol

So many people post that they love it----- we had it once and maybe it was a bad day-- but it was hands down the worst fried chicken I have ever had in my life. At that point, DD loved fried chicken and had never gotten any anywhere that she wouldn't eat and we wound up throwing hers away and getting her food elsewhere. I ate more of mine than she did-- but not by much.

I have to disagree with the Monte Cristo and Churro opponents-- this thread is making me crave a Cafe Orleans Monte Cristo and Pomme Frites and a Churro from the cart in front of the castle!!

I am a fried chicken fanatic and can say their fried chicken is in the top 10 for me. Sounds like you might have gone on an off day for the Plaza Inn. Weird though because of the standards Disney holds... Try it again!

As far as foods not to eat at Disneyland... I'll say burgers & pizza from anywhere in the parks tend to be subpar. Fries aren't the best either.

I agree with the Monte Cristo. I had it a couple times at Blue Bayou. The first time was 'meh' but it gets such good reviews here that I thought I would try it again. The next time, I took a couple of bites then felt sick because it seemed like it was undercooked. There wasn't anything to make me sick, but I just couldn't get past the dough texture and then worrying the meat not being "done" due to that texture. My stomach is pretty sensitive, so probably will never try it again.

Fried chicken wasn't good from the Plaza, but then again I don't really like fried chicken anyway.

No turkey legs. Won't try them, so they could be delicious but I just can't.

No beer, but I'm more of a Rita's Margarita gal lol

I really want to try a corndog....in all my times of going to Disneyland since the time I was 2, I've never tried the corndog.

I am convinced we were tricked by the same person! We stayed at a neighboring hotel when I was probably 8 or 9 (so maybe more like 14 years ago) and some older woman also staying there raved about how good the place was. We had went there once before and was absolutely not impressed, but thought they changed. We were so wrong!!

Anytime we bring up Captain Kidd's, we always talk about how that "one grandma who was staying at the hotel tricked us into eating there" lol

she was probably a shill for the place getting paid to send the unwary ......... :rotfl2::rotfl:

I agree with the Monte Cristo. I had it a couple times at Blue Bayou. The first time was 'meh' but it gets such good reviews here that I thought I would try it again. The next time, I took a couple of bites then felt sick because it seemed like it was undercooked. There wasn't anything to make me sick, but I just couldn't get past the dough texture and then worrying the meat not being "done" due to that texture. My stomach is pretty sensitive, so probably will never try it again.

it's just lunch meat ham and turkey..... smoked and fully cooked. and bread, so hard to imagine "undercooked" ....
we do enjoy our Monte Cristo.....

Most people I know of put mayo on leftover turkey sandwiches. Mayo, cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing. Very normal.
NO. No mayo. Cream cheese if it's a cold sandwich, no condiment if it's warm. 👩‍⚖️

( I am very passionate about this. I know it's weird)

I really want to try the fried cheese stick instead of a corndog (I don't eat pork products). Anyone have any opinions on that one?

Last edited:
Most people I know of put mayo on leftover turkey sandwiches. Mayo, cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing. Very normal.
Mayo does not go on anything WARM. For a cold standard turkey sandwich okay. But on a warm turkey sandwich that has GRAVY on it no. Just no. (for me)

it's just lunch meat ham and turkey..... smoked and fully cooked. and bread, so hard to imagine "undercooked" ....
we do enjoy our Monte Cristo.....
Right, which is why I said there was nothing to actually make me sick it was just the texture (it reminded me of being undercooked). BB didn't do anything wrong health/safety wise, it was just my own thing of needing the texture to be different so I didn't feel sick after a couple of bites of eating it.

Other people must be fine with the texture, because it definitely comes highly rated on the boards.

NO. No mayo. Cream cheese if it's a cold sandwich, no condiment if it's warm. 👩‍⚖️

I really want to try the fried cheese stick instead of a corndog (I don't eat pork products). Anyone have any opinions on that one?

Never heard of cream cheese on a leftover turkey sandwich. Mayo is normal - I'd say cream cheese would be odd? I like cream cheese for some things, but can't imagine it there lol.

Never heard of cream cheese on a leftover turkey sandwich. Mayo is normal - I'd say cream cheese would be odd? I like cream cheese for some things, but can't imagine it there lol.
Mayo does not go on anything WARM. For a cold standard turkey sandwich okay. But on a warm turkey sandwich that has GRAVY on it no. Just no. (for me)

McChickens? Actually, pretty much any burger can have mayo.

It sounds rather strange but it's Tasty as can be. The combination of the cream cheese and cranberry sauce is also known as a Cranberry Mary. I had to be talked into my first one but after that I was hooked!

The fried cheese on a stick is amazing, but it's much better when it's made fresh. I've gotten some that are old and the cheese was back to solid texture. Kinda gross that way. Ask for a new one to be duped and fried for you.

Unpopular opinion but Dole Whip is #1 on my list of never again foods. Glorified pineapple soft serve just doesn't do it for me.
I enjoy a dole whip but I do agree is just pretty much pineapple soft serve
McChickens? Actually, pretty much any burger can have mayo.
Didn’t say it wasn’t a common thing to put mayo on warm items. Was saying it is a no for me.

It sounds rather strange but it's Tasty as can be. The combination of the cream cheese and cranberry sauce is also known as a Cranberry Mary. I had to be talked into my first one but after that I was hooked!
Yup. Cranberry and cream cheese 💯

Again, cream cheese does not go on a warm sandwich. Warm leftover Thanksgiving sandwiches get no condiments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter