Foods not to eat at DL

Me at Disneyland: what's a mint julip? *Gets delicious sugar drink on a hot day*

-later at a bar in Disney World Port Orleans-

"I'll have a mint julip if you got it." *Bar tender makes alcohol mint julip that I never knew was a real 'mint julip'* "What an unexpected yet pleasant surprise"

Do you guys think that the food is enjoyed just on it's flavor and texture, or does the atmosphere surrounding the experience make or break it? Like how if you're having a great day, everything is just better tasting/more enjoyable? Or if your trip is in a lull your dole whip is dull.

Me at Disneyland: what's a mint julip? *Gets delicious sugar drink on a hot day*

-later at a bar in Disney World Port Orleans-

"I'll have a mint julip if you got it." *Bar tender makes alcohol mint julip that I never knew was a real 'mint julip'* "What an unexpected yet pleasant surprise"

Do you guys think that the food is enjoyed just on it's flavor and texture, or does the atmosphere surrounding the experience make or break it? Like how if you're having a great day, everything is just better tasting/more enjoyable? Or if your trip is in a lull your dole whip is dull.

I think the atmosphere has a lot to do with it. I know that a hot dog tastes wonderful when it's surrounded by Dodger Stadium.

Honestly, most of the DL CS & QS food is pretty unremarkable. But surrounded by the sights and sounds of DL, it's ambrosia. And I can get an authentic Dole Whip at a yogurt place in the next town. But it doesn't taste near as good as the one I get that's eaten in the Tiki Room. That one is the nectar of the gods.

Dole whip-I prefer the texture of it at menchies
Bread at Bengal bbq; portions of meat have disappeared as well but I still like the Veg skewer
Pizza planet eww pasta is so dry. Prefer boardwalk in DCA
Mint julep 🥴
Tried the cheese stick once. 😖 wasn’t melted
Smokejumpers veggie burger. The toppings couldn’t redeem this one. Too soggy
I don’t like anything at cocina cucamonga. Much prefer zocalo.

I love the Mickey beignets. Only at Disney. 😂
I like the blue & green milk. 🤑

Dole whip-I prefer the texture of it at menchies
Bread at Bengal bbq; portions of meat have disappeared as well but I still like the Veg skewer
Pizza planet eww pasta is so dry. Prefer boardwalk in DCA
Mint julep 🥴
Tried the cheese stick once. 😖 wasn’t melted
Smokejumpers veggie burger. The toppings couldn’t redeem this one. Too soggy
I don’t like anything at cocina cucamonga. Much prefer zocalo.

I love the Mickey beignets. Only at Disney. 😂
I like the blue & green milk. 🤑
It's nice to see you on the boards again, @smartlabelprint!

I agree with almost all your dos and don'ts. The veg burgers at Smokejumpers have always been tasty for me, maybe give it another go! Although I may retract that rec if they get rid of the toppings bar because of COVID. I like controlling my toppings.

There a few things (very few) at DL that I love, like pork belly skewer meal from Bengal BBQ, every meal I've gotten at Carthay, and the charcuterie board at that little dining terrace above the Wine Country Trattoria(?). There are things I truly hate (corn dogs and a lot of the "fast food" type stuff for instance). Most of the food I think is ok/good but likely wouldn't buy if it were anywhere else because I could get better.

There are lots of things that my family are one and done with (Plaza Inn fried chicken- we just weren't impressed, and I make killer fried chicken, if I do say so myself ;), Beast Burger and Poutine at Red Rose- too sloppy and salty.. and we love poutine, not really fans of churros, the adorable (dry) Mickey face sugar cookies, the rice krispie treats...), but the one thing we have tried that we just flat out did not like and threw away was a turkey leg...We are big meat eaters, but it was awful. It was very salty, tasted nothing like turkey, greasy, and it seemed like we were mostly just chewing on ligaments. 3 of my boys will eat anything, but no one wanted anything to do with the turkey leg.

I like the chicken at The Plaza Inn, not because it's much above avg. but because of the total experience.
The PI is one of the few spaces in the park that hasn't been altered much since Walt's time and it's the only space (AFAIK) that was designed by Lillian Disney. It's also a quiet retreat from the noise and activity of the park if you go to dinner a bit early.
We enjoy sitting in the south atrium and watching all that's happening on Main Street. For similar reasons we always have to eat at least once at the Carnation inn. Food there is "good" (not fabulous) and the ambiance is terrific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter