Foolish Mortals, The travels of Truck 999, The HDT.

Chris,

I saw you had bumped this thread and I caught up on your post #76 which I enjoyed watching (and listening to). Bing sure could croon....

I'm not on Fakebook but thanks for keeping us updated in this thread.

See you and DW down at Gulf in May. Hopefully we can have some good weather.

Bama Ed

Chris,

I saw you had bumped this thread and I caught up on your post #76 which I enjoyed watching (and listening to). Bing sure could croon....

I'm not on Fakebook but thanks for keeping us updated in this thread.

See you and DW down at Gulf in May. Hopefully we can have some good weather.

Bama Ed

Looking forward to some good weather. The snow has melted, for the most part, just some small piles left and they will melt tomorrow in the rain.
We will make the trip down, some banana bread in tow....
New fifth wheel pin box has shipped, but maybe stuck in Kansas due to the blizzard. Wish it was here, would be nice to change on Sunday when it is supposed to be 60 degrees outside.

Was watching the Bama game on TV the other week, showed an aerial view of the stadium and town, think we saw your house......

Looking forward to some good weather. The snow has melted, for the most part, just some small piles left and they will melt tomorrow in the rain.
We will make the trip down, some banana bread in tow....
New fifth wheel pin box has shipped, but maybe stuck in Kansas due to the blizzard. Wish it was here, would be nice to change on Sunday when it is supposed to be 60 degrees outside.

Was watching the Bama game on TV the other week, showed an aerial view of the stadium and town, think we saw your house......

You may have - it's only a half mile as the crow flies. About 20 minutes walking couch-to-upper-deck-seat (used to be 15 min but there are metal detectors to deal with this year). When you gonna come visit on a game weekend? Bring the car and not the Volvo truck (parking is tight in my 'hood. Tiggerdad has been here and can explain.)

The SEC Championship is tomorrow. I hope you'll be pulling for the Tide?

I am going to get some new tires for my popup in December, go visit the manatees in FLA over Christmas (will take the satellite dish, tv, and DirecTV box) , then head down to FLA again for spring break in March for some MLB Spring Training games, possibly some KSC rocket launches, and sunshine. Followed by Gulf in May 2019, of course.

We have some 70F temps due this Sunday after the rain clears out tomorrow so I will blow out the water lines with compressed air (no pink stuff for me-a popup is simple) and roll dry down to the manatees and back over New Years to make it through the winter temps the next few months.

DW and I were talking about spring break 2020 plans and may try to go to Charleston, SC (have to book a year in advance so only 4 months from now to book). And a change for Gulf 2020. Then the Fort DIS Meet in October 2020.

At least that's the plan.

As of today.

At this hour.

FWIW.

ED

So Santa stopped at the house.....well ok it was the UPS man. Our new pin box was delivered, and boy is it heavy, 84 lbs. So I now have a project for warmer weather, and after we get the trailer back from having warranty work done in Jan. Hopefully they can fix our GFCI circuit and fix or replace the bathroom fan.
When I install it, I will take pictures of the process and document the difference in construction between the two pin boxes.

Well it is not exactly warm outside, and it gets dark way too early. But today I did manage to get my battery charger/reconditioner installed on the truck and get it running for the winter.

We will be taking the trailer over to the dealership in Jan for warranty work once again, from there we can start looking forward to our next two camping trips in May. I may have to make a fuel run, as prices drop, but that will just be a day trip down in to MD or WV.

Here is the charger that was installed.
20181219_163353_resized.jpg

Well, during last years travels DW was not thrilled with having to change CD's or try to find a radio station all the time. We could use a new radio in the truck, but in the mean time she will be able to use her new Sirius/XM. It is a portable unit and will be able to travel between all our vehicles, need to install antennae later on for her. She also got a boom box home unit so she can listen when she is home.

Well, during last years travels DW was not thrilled with having to change CD's or try to find a radio station all the time. We could use a new radio in the truck, but in the mean time she will be able to use her new Sirius/XM. It is a portable unit and will be able to travel between all our vehicles, need to install antennae later on for her. She also got a boom box home unit so she can listen when she is home.

A cell-phone with Bluetooth works well for this also, if you have enough data. We don't have a Sirius radio in our tow vehicle, so I will simply access it through my cell and that works 95% of the time.

So Santa stopped at the house.....well ok it was the UPS man. Our new pin box was delivered, and boy is it heavy, 84 lbs. So I now have a project for warmer weather, and after we get the trailer back from having warranty work done in Jan. Hopefully they can fix our GFCI circuit and fix or replace the bathroom fan.
When I install it, I will take pictures of the process and document the difference in construction between the two pin boxes.

dont know if you changed your pin box yet, when i changed mine, i put it in the hitch, leveled it with some cribbing and back up normal to hook up 5'er, lined up perfectly, installed bolts, torqued and done, it was a very simple one man job

dont know if you changed your pin box yet, when i changed mine, i put it in the hitch, leveled it with some cribbing and back up normal to hook up 5'er, lined up perfectly, installed bolts, torqued and done, it was a very simple one man job

I have not changed it yet. Have warranty work that needs to be done on the trailer in Jan. Don't want to give them any reason to claim I have voided my warranty. So it will wait until we get it back just before the camping season.

I know several people that have changed theirs as you describe. In my case still a two person job, as I need to get it in the hitch, but need someone else to back me in.

I know several people that have changed theirs as you describe. In my case still a two person job, as I need to get it in the hitch, but need someone else to back me in.[/QUOTE]

I suppose without a bed it would be a little more difficult

I know several people that have changed theirs as you describe. In my case still a two person job, as I need to get it in the hitch, but need someone else to back me in.

I suppose without a bed it would be a little more difficult[/QUOTE]

Actually it is not the lack of bed as much as the lack of a rear window.

I line up the tires and the side of the trailer, knowing my hitch is then centered.
And as long as you are close, the hitch has sort of a "V" slot, so it will shove the pin (and trailer) around to fit.

At least that's what I count on. :D

j

Yea, I really need to be careful about shoving the trailer....
I guess you get used to lining up in the mirror, but I would want a spotter the first 100 times or so.

Pushing a semi trailer around isn't that big of a deal. Not sure our campers would like it much.

j

We dropped our trailer off at the dealership this morning ahead of the snow. Needed some more work before the warranty expires. This time it is in for the bathroom fan not working and they are still chasing the GFCI issue we have had since getting the trailer. Once we get it back, need to change the pin box, and I want to bring the rear jacks up a bolt hole give me more departure angle.

How far back are your rear Jack's? I've been looking at the auto leveling jacks. The install directions from Lippert show them just behind the rear axle. I have quite a bit of trailer behind that.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!