Foolish Mortals, The travels of Truck 999, The HDT.

It is the second time this year. First time we thought we missed a step and caused it. Today we were taking our time, checking everything as we were in no hurry to leave the campground. Did our tug test and it was good, so not sure what caused the jaws to pop open.

We may need a new front cap.
Sorry PaHunter we will all miss you in Nov. Dont give up, dont ever give up. As quoted from a famous BB coach.

I've helped him fix several. Most of the time it can be fixed without replacing the cap since it's fiberglass.

We are hoping so, and well there was a chipped spot or two that needed repainting anyway. More worried about the damage, I can't see. Not sure if we took hard enough a hit to crack any welds or to bend anything.

Sorry PaHunter we will all miss you in Nov. Dont give up, dont ever give up. As quoted from a famous BB coach.

Well, was looking forward to seeing the Fort decorated for Christmas. Maybe in 2121, we will get there after Thanksgiving.

Oh man that sucks that the hitch let loose even after a tug test. I hope you can either figure out what caused it or replace it so you don't go through that again!

Oh man that sucks that the hitch let loose even after a tug test. I hope you can either figure out what caused it or replace it so you don't go through that again!

We will be looking to replace the hitch. We purchased it used, and it has been good to us, well most of the time.

We will be looking to replace the hitch. We purchased it used, and it has been good to us, well most of the time.

I have a pullrite 16k for ISR rails that I used for 2 years and maybe 7k miles before I moved to the 2012 F350 with factory 5th wheel and the hitch. Though I think you want something a bit beefier. I been keeping it in the garage for the moment when someone I knows needs a 16k. LOL

Just reading through the whole thread here. That is quite a rig. I have total envy. I want to grow up to a Class 5 or 6 truck someday, but wife isn't so keen. I have a few more years to wear her down.

Just reading through the whole thread here. That is quite a rig. I have total envy. I want to grow up to a Class 5 or 6 truck someday, but wife isn't so keen. I have a few more years to wear her down.

First of all, Thank you. The only problem with Class 5/6 or an MDT as we usually refer to them is they are most times under-powered and over-priced. We looked at a Sportchassis M2, cost of over $100k, new and used still about 80k. Ours was far less at 34K. It has plenty of power, and the view and safety are untouched by any other class truck. DW was not a fan when we first purchased, but now she will not travel any other way. No air ride seats in a Chevy.
There are two yearly rallies about these trucks depending on where you live in the US and you do not have to own one to attend. We have been there the last few years and with 3 Disney trips planned this year, we will be passing on the rally. We should return the following year.

First of all, Thank you. The only problem with Class 5/6 or an MDT as we usually refer to them is they are most times under-powered and over-priced. We looked at a Sportchassis M2, cost of over $100k, new and used still about 80k. Ours was far less at 34K. It has plenty of power, and the view and safety are untouched by any other class truck. DW was not a fan when we first purchased, but now she will not travel any other way. No air ride seats in a Chevy.
There are two yearly rallies about these trucks depending on where you live in the US and you do not have to own one to attend. We have been there the last few years and with 3 Disney trips planned this year, we will be passing on the rally. We should return the following year.

Good insights. I've always dreamed of a Topkick/Kodiak that was trimmed out from an upfitter with the nice air seats, fancy dash, etc. I've enjoyed their looks for many years...70s through now.

Our current truck has served us well. Our RV is a lightweight (looking to upgrade some day soon), but we've pulled my cargo trailer all over the US loaded to the gills with zero problems, other than trailer tires.
IMG_20150523_161950.jpg

I have some favors I can call down, I'm not sure this is the one I want until I hit the lottery. I'll do fine with the rig we have now and just enjoy rigs like yours from afar. Keep up the good work

Last edited:
Part-time,

We were almost twins, in reverse. What did you put in that big trailer? I've considered an MDT when my F350 needs replacing. I've talked to Chris (PA Hunter) a number of times about it. A lot depends on how retirement plans shape up. If I decide to go full timing instead of buying a place on the beach, I'll probably pick up a Class A.

BTW, I checked out your WordPress page. Looks like a bunch of nice travels.

Trailers (2016_09_24 00_51_51 UTC) (2).jpg

j

@Part-Time Paradise ,

:welcome:

to the Fort Forum on the DIS. I replied above, but just noticed you joined 2 days ago. From your sig, it looks like you know your way around WDW. Jump into the conversations. We are mostly a nice group.

j

Part-time,

We were almost twins, in reverse. What did you put in that big trailer? I've considered an MDT when my F350 needs replacing. I've talked to Chris (PA Hunter) a number of times about it. A lot depends on how retirement plans shape up. If I decide to go full timing instead of buying a place on the beach, I'll probably pick up a Class A.

BTW, I checked out your WordPress page. Looks like a bunch of nice travels.

View attachment 461221

j

Mostly household goods and sometimes cars. I've had to move a bit and have a car habit. A trailer only made sense.

Thanks for nosing around my blog. I don't post as much as I'd like. I find myself planning the next trip instead of documenting the last one...hence why I'm on here jabbering about FW and Fastpasses instead of writing a post!

@Part-Time Paradise ,

:welcome:

to the Fort Forum on the DIS. I replied above, but just noticed you joined 2 days ago. From your sig, it looks like you know your way around WDW. Jump into the conversations. We are mostly a nice group.

j

Thank you. I've enjoyed exploring DIS boards, both the camping and non-camping forums. I don't know that I'm a pro, but I appreciate the faith that I might not be an idiot.

Thanks again

So we will need to get the trailer fixed before the Dismeet. Still waiting on garage. Found our kitchen sink split, must have not gotten all the water out when we winterized. Not thrilled about that, looks like when we eventually hit the spring thaw I have my work cut out for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!