Footloose and Fancy Free-Dec 2018, Feb 2019 PTR-12/31-TR Link!

Do I see Illuminations when I plan to be at AK at 7 am the next morning?

• Yes, why sleep at Disney? And the show could be replaced by my next visit!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No, get some rest so I can hit AK hard the next day.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You have some absolutely incredible restaurants picked out. Your tastebuds are seriously gonna be so happy!

I'm really late to this PTR, but I'm here now! And I'm going to comment on your planning for a trip that's already happened :rotfl:

This year I upgraded from Signature to Premier, as it made financial sense for my first visit to Walt Disney World in September!

I had the Premier pass last year, I felt so fancy!

We each had an uneventful travel back home to LAX and were able to fill our parents in on all our experiences! The next morning, I woke up and was "I miss Disneyworld!" I missed the Disney bubble. I missed knowing we would be going to a theme park that day. I missed the atmosphere of excitement and happiness!
Even going to Disneyland wasn't able to help me get over missing Disneyworld!

Land and World are so different! I love the relaxed, go-with-the-flow vibe of Land, but I do love the Disney bubble at World.

What you also need to know is I have a long commute every day, with an hour each way in stop and go traffic.

Yuck. I've been on those California highways, I would not want to drive those every day.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at Disneyland (took it off from work since I had a volunteer thing in the morning). I wasn't going to write a mini trip report, because I was mainly going to experience Christmas stuff (I'll write a summary post with pictures later), but turns out they were filming for the Christmas Specials airing November 30th and Christmas morning! So I was able to see Lea Michelle singing during the afternoon and then Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell at night!

img_9075-jpg.283429

This was the day we flew home! We went for the Avengers Race Weekend :)

Because of where I was sitting I had a perfect view down the front row catwalk and almost immediately recognized Mark Hamill’s silhouette! I definitely gave a loud gasp and my jaw dropped to the floor!

Shut up! That is so cool that you were on Star Tours with him! We were so sad when we heard about this, since we had just gone home that day and it sounded so amazing!

So, anyways, long story short, we now no longer get a set amount of vacation time. That's right - UNLIMITED VACATION DAYS. On the surface it seems great, but really, it sucks for employees. If we don't use a lot of vacation we will no longer be able to get paid out at the end of the year (corporate tried to put limits on that but California has stricter laws so they couldn't take away any of our time no matter their policies). And if you do use a lot of vacation time, your billed hours will decrease and utilization will go down, which is what they consider for bonuses/raises. Most studies say it leads to employees taking less vacation and savings for companies, rather than helping employees...

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that - I can see how it would encourage less vacation. My company won't pay you out for unused vacation hours until you leave the company, but they do allow you to carry over two weeks of unused vacation each year.

Disney After Hours: 9pm-12am!

This is something I've always wanted to do! Hopefully you have a trip report so I can go read all about it!

And if people are wondering how much you can save with DVC, I made the following spreadsheet to help myself (assuming a GP discount of 20% for AKL and BWI, 10% for WL, and AP discount of 5% over that):

upload_2018-1-5_14-23-51-png.292536

I love renting DVC!

Well, my mom decided last year she really wanted to take a family vacation in 2018. It's a combination of her and my dad's 40th wedding anniversary (they got married in college since she's Canadian and he's American, so it was the best way for her to move to the US), and possibly the last opportunity for us to really go away together, with Lauren starting law school in the fall, Anthony still looking for full-time jobs anywhere and everywhere (he's in film and because he's a dual American/Canadian citizen, its a real possibility he could eventually move to Vancouver), and once I get my own place I probably couldn't afford to take as much time. Growing up, we also didn't visit so many places; most of our summer vacations were spent travelling up to Vancouver to visit Mom's family, and I think both Mom and Dad regret not going more places. I think Mom also suggested a family vacation because she was tired of going on vacations alone with my dad...

I didn't know you were half Canadian!

I also saw some new Magicbands they were selling, and was sooo close to getting one or two or ten! But I think if I started allowing myself to buy special MBs I would never stop! It's the same principal I have as to not buy any Tsum Tsums for myself!

Haha, this is my reasoning for not buying any Funko Pops! I know once I start, it's an endless rabbit hole!

I love this ornament! We have the one from Disneyland and the one from WDW :)

So yeah, I ended up purchasing 2 Premium PSLs for a ton of money. It is payable over 10 years, but it is still a s***load of money! I do have a plan to pay it down via resale but I know I need to be careful with finances coming up. I will still be doing my upcoming trips, but probably not many beyond that for a little while, and I also need to watch how much I spend while I'm traveling.

Good for you! As a sports fan, I totally support this purchase - I'm on the waiting list for NHL tickets, and have had a chance to purchase season tickets the past few years but I keep pushing it off because I don't want to commit to that money...

Anyways, here is my current flight schedule:
Arrival November 29, land 4:20pm
Depart December 9, leave 8:15pm

I'm sad I'm going to miss you by a day!

the girls did get me on Grizzly River Rapids (basically Kali River Rapids, just different theming). And did you know that there's a geyser in the middle of the river near the end. And it goes off occasionally, with no shutoff for a raft approaching? Because I didn't!

fwx1aDS.jpg

Yeah, I don't think I've EVER gotten wetter on a ride at any amusement park ANYWHERE! When the CMs working the ride say, wow you got soaked, you know you got soaked! I was still a bit damp about 6 hrs later when I got home!

I love Grizzly River! For some reason, I get absolutely soaked every time I go on Splash Mountain at Disneyland - like dripping wet and need to go change.

And finally, we ended up walking by the Cove Bar (which had reopened for a few weeks during the Spring Break rush), and there was NO WAIT! Usually that place takes at least 30-45 minutes to get seated. None of us have ever been, so we stopped, sharing the Lobster Nachos. I also got the Fun Wheel which was delicious!

OBoIj5P.jpg
NaZ2Fsw.jpg

I'm going to miss the Cove Bar! I thought it was such a great little place, and I loved the Fun Wheel drink!

And then I went over to track down the Mike Wasowski sipper! I normally don't get popcorn buckets, but they have a Sully one and the bases of the bucket and sipper actually connect, so I feel like I need to complete the set!
QU8gMXu.jpg

I was so sad they were out of Sulley popcorn buckets when we were there :(

And, as I walked through the stores to get some much-needed A/C (it was around 90 degrees and sunny), I saw this purse:
giphy.gif

Like, what! OMG! I audibly gasped in the store, so of course walked away with that too!

:eek: I did not see this while we were in Disneyland! This is amazing!

So, while I was in California Adventure, I also made a stop by A Bug's Land, where I got to become an Honorary Blueberry Scout! Basically they had some tables set up for kids to color, and also had a scavenger hunt. After completion, you got to recite the Blueberry Oath and get a paper crown. Literally there were 6 adults all reciting the oath at once, and it was hilariously awesome!

KtPPuDx.jpg
lpzUu5q.jpg
uK0DYPw.jpg

This is adorable! I don't think I've ever seen this before either (and now I never will :sad: - we won't be back again before A Bug's Land closes for good - mind you, I'm very excited to see a Marvel Land!)

I also finally got to see Mickey and the Magical Map! Yes, after all these years, I had never seen it! And it was fabulous! Really puts anything at WDW to shame (I would accept arguments for FotLK and Finding Nemo, but I still preferred MMM). I ended up not taking photos of the performance, but I will be returning another time!

We still haven't been to this show! We always talk about wanting to watch it, and then we never remember once we're there!

Then, yet another thing that I had never done before - Trader Sams! I ended up getting the Piranha Pool and Pupu platter (since I hadn't eaten lunch, though I had them substitute one of the other dishes for the sweet and spicy wings). Both were wonderful and I will absolutely be returning soon!
BSUlDQD.jpg
YRhoKYa.jpg

Yum! We love that PuPu Platter! Those beans are sooo good! Did you not get the aioli? It's typically in the centre part of that tray.

But, speaking of my mom, I took her and Lauren out to Afternoon Tea at the Disneyland Hotel on Saturday. It was a bit overdue, as I promised her tea for her birthday in February... of last year! But, better late than never! It coincided with Dapper Day weekend, so we dressed the part.

jBygav3.jpg

Ao1Eapp.jpg
OihSvdY.jpg

I've always wanted to do one of these Afternoon Teas!

Tusker House brunch (10:30 reservation, so I pay breakfast prices but the lunch food comes out before I leave)

This is out favourite time to go to Tusker House!

it made more sense to move Crew's Cup to a lunch.

I see you've moved Crew's Cup to your February trip - but head's up it's not really possible for lunch! It doesn't open until 4 or 4:30 everyday - we ate there on our last trip and loved it though, so I do recommend checking it out!

YES chocolate fountain time! :rotfl:
I looove chocolate fountains! For mothers day a couple years ago I took Mom and Lauren to tea at the Langham (used to be the Ritz Carlton, but one of the nicest hotels in LA). And we went on Sunday, which is Chocolate Tea day! Lots of sweet touches (like vanilla bean marinated shrimp), including a HUGE dessert table with a chocolate fountain of course!

Did you see the Peter Pan swirl they have too now? And the cheeseburger eggrolls are back, which I've never had one so I want to try!
I did, but I'm not really a lime fan, so I'll probably skip that. Plus, you never know when things will be limited time offerings these days!

Definitely keep this one it's so good! Plus you can have a chocolate souffle!
Mmmmm

I know this is well liked, but we didn't think the food/service was that great. The truffle fries were sooo good, but they took them off the menu.
Yeah, I remember you talking about that one being disappointing. I think I still want to give it a try, especially since I'll be at that resort anyways!

Joining in
:welcome:

You have some absolutely incredible restaurants picked out. Your tastebuds are seriously gonna be so happy!
I know! It's going to be yummy! I've considering creating a Dining TR too, but don't think I'll bother - soon enough I'll have so many TRs going on I'll be too overwhelmed to add another one!

I'm really late to this PTR, but I'm here now! And I'm going to comment on your planning for a trip that's already happened :rotfl:
Haha! I will try to take your advice...just hop in my delorean...

I had the Premier pass last year, I felt so fancy!
I do feel fancy whenever someone sees it! Sometimes people ask which pass I have and I say the fancy one for both parks, and at first they don't realize I mean DLR and WDW (they think DL and DCA)!

Yuck. I've been on those California highways, I would not want to drive those every day.
Oh, its super fun... :rolleyes2 If you don't mind dealing with road rage and everything! I'm happy I don't have kids in the car when I drive...they would learn lots of 4-letter words quickly!

Shut up! That is so cool that you were on Star Tours with him! We were so sad when we heard about this, since we had just gone home that day and it sounded so amazing!
I know, it was amazing!

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that - I can see how it would encourage less vacation. My company won't pay you out for unused vacation hours until you leave the company, but they do allow you to carry over two weeks of unused vacation each year.
It really is an annoying policy. Some people didn't do much vacation at all and count on that payout as an extra bonus at the end of the year. In CA they aren't allowed to limit the payout or carry-over; once they give it, they can't take it back!

I love renting DVC!
Me too! Of my 6 upcoming reservations, all but one are via DVC points!

I didn't know you were half Canadian!
Yup! Though I think we discussed this on the chat since you posted! My whole family is: Mom became a US citizen in 2004ish, Dad was originally a Canadian, but moved to San Diego as a child, and thru some administrative issues lost the Canadian part when his dad became American; but Canada changed the rules some time ago and all those kids who lost it without any choice of their own, got it back. My mom got it for my siblings and I when we were each born.

Haha, this is my reasoning for not buying any Funko Pops! I know once I start, it's an endless rabbit hole!
You mean, like this...
37255738_10103724789109697_6229424869675630592_n.jpg

Good for you! As a sports fan, I totally support this purchase - I'm on the waiting list for NHL tickets, and have had a chance to purchase season tickets the past few years but I keep pushing it off because I don't want to commit to that money...
Which team are you going fo?

I'm sad I'm going to miss you by a day!
Oh too bad!

I love Grizzly River! For some reason, I get absolutely soaked every time I go on Splash Mountain at Disneyland - like dripping wet and need to go change.
It's never so bad for me on Splash, but because I normally go Single Rider, I get the back row, which doesn't seem to be as bad lately!

This is adorable! I don't think I've ever seen this before either (and now I never will :sad: - we won't be back again before A Bug's Land closes for good - mind you, I'm very excited to see a Marvel Land!)
I'm definitely sad about Bugs Land - it's such a cute area! Marvel Land will be cool, I just hope they have enough budget to do it right!

We still haven't been to this show! We always talk about wanting to watch it, and then we never remember once we're there!
Oh, you should totally see it! It's so cute!

Yum! We love that PuPu Platter! Those beans are sooo good! Did you not get the aioli? It's typically in the centre part of that tray.
I think I either asked for it without aioli or they put it in a container and I moved it off the plate (I don't like dip sauces).

I see you've moved Crew's Cup to your February trip - but head's up it's not really possible for lunch! It doesn't open until 4 or 4:30 everyday - we ate there on our last trip and loved it though, so I do recommend checking it out!
Good to know! Thanks!

Update 7/19 - CP and Future Trips

December Update:

Got my Candlelight Processional dining packages. Turns out Annual Passholders could call the day before and get a reservation; some people were up super early to call, but there were lots of snafus in the system and most had to call back later in the day. Luckily, due to the time difference, I didn't even call until I woke up, which was just after it started to work!

giphy.gif

So, I have: December 3, Chefs de France at 1:10pm for the 5:00 pm CP. I may actually have a dinner companion, so I made the reservation for 2 people, but that person hasn't made a final decision on the trip yet.

I also decided to hedge my bets and also book: December 2, Tokyo Dining at 5:40pm for the 8:15pm CP. This narrator is still TBD, and I don't want it to turn out to be someone AMAZING (like Mark Hammil or Lin Manuel Miranda) and not have any reservations left. So once they announce the narrator, I'll know whether to cancel or not!

February Update:

Nothing much, I booked a 1-night stay at All Star Sports for the arrival night. I used @ArielSRL for a Travel Agent, and I'd recommend her to anyone else! We're still going to be on the lookout for discounted rates when they become available.

No other decisions on the dining front.

I thought this would be my only upcoming Disney trips (maybe I'd do an on-board booking on the cruise, but that would be TBD)... but now...

Future trips:

May Girl's Trip!

Now, this is the fun part: I'm planning ANOTHER TRIP to WDW next year! Last week, within about 5 hours, a bunch of my fellow TRers and I came up with the idea of a girls trip, picked dates, and started making plans! So I will be at the world from May 1-7. We currently have about 22 people confirmed to be going (some for longer or shorter stays), and it's going to be crazy!!!!

You can read all about the planning here: "The most EPIC Pre-Trip Report - Group PTR 2019!"

I don't have airfare booked just yet (but am using the American Airlines 24-hold liberally), and havent figured out if/who would be a roommate and what resort, but I'm definitely going!

giphy.gif

Tokyo Fall 2019

I'm in the researching stages of a trip to Tokyo Disney in Fall 2019. Still a lot to think about with this one, but I checked my various air miles accounts and I realized I had enough to fly roundtrip to Asia - 3 times! (I'd actually have enough to fly business class, but the only airlines available also have huge carrier surcharges, so it would cost me >$450 in fees, while the economy options include airlines without surcharges and cost me <$60 in fees).

I'm still trying to pick between mid/late September and early/mid November, so if anyone has any tips on choosing between those seasons, let me know!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

New Years Eve 2019-2020

So, yeah, um...I think I'm also headed to WDW for next New Year's Eve! With the girls trip, it was only about $100 difference between purchasing a ticket and upgrading my DLR AP back to Premier for a 3rd year in a row, plus all the benefits that come with an AP. I've also really wanted to see WDW on New Years Eve, and SWGE will be open... so why not plan a trip! I already know crowds are going to be insane, so I just need to work with that. I'll probably book Swolphin for $ and proximity to both Epcot (NYE fireworks) and DHS (SWGE).

Also, does anyone know the answers to the following:
  • California Grill on December 30th - can you get a late reservation and see the midnight fireworks from the observation deck? I know you can do the earlier ones, but I'd probably do Dessert Party for that.
  • Epcot on December 31st - Does Rose and Crown do regular ADRs up until late, so you can see fireworks from their patio? How about Tokyo Dining - I know other people can walk outside the windows, but does that get blocked off for the restaurant guests? Any other tips (I saw La Hacienda does a fancy dinner, but that's not the type of food I like, so doesn't seem worth it $ wise)?
Again, another that still just mulling over in my brain!

giphy.gif

• Epcot on December 31st - Does Rose and Crown do regular ADRs up until late, so you can see fireworks from their patio? How about Tokyo Dining - I know other people can walk outside the windows, but does that get blocked off for the restaurant guests? Any other tips (I saw La Hacienda does a fancy dinner, but that's not the type of food I like, so doesn't seem worth it $ wise)?

Based on last year, yes, they do regular reservations all night. You know we bowed out early at Epcot, but we watched the 6:30 fireworks from Japan - the only thing I noticed blocked off for those were the stairs - no one was allowed beyond a certain roped off area on the stairs outside Mitsukoshi so no one could go up. I *assume* to keep it open for those dining upstairs??

I looked online just now for this year and there are reservations for one available at 10:50pm for Tokyo Dining (reservations for two up until 11:40pm if you'll be with Su-Lynn) and nothing available for Rose and Crown so if that's what you want book that super early when the time comes.

Beyond the La Hacienda dining event, there were a couple of other party things in Epcot that night but we weren't all that interested so I didn't pay much attention. One involved people checking in in the early afternoon in Futureworld and getting like seating mats and things and then they'd get access to a grassy area over across and down from Imagination. I wish I'd paid more attention to that, but we were in a hurry at the time we noticed the line of people checking in to whatever it was.

You know we bowed out early at Epcot, but we watched the 6:30 fireworks from Japan - the only thing I noticed blocked off for those were the stairs - no one was allowed beyond a certain roped off area on the stairs outside Mitsukoshi so no one could go up. I *assume* to keep it open for those dining upstairs??
Ok, that's actually good to know! I'd almost prefer Tokyo Dining since it would be slightly elevated and many less chaotic?

I looked online just now for this year and there are reservations for one available at 10:50pm for Tokyo Dining (reservations for two up until 11:40pm if you'll be with Su-Lynn) and nothing available for Rose and Crown so if that's what you want book that super early when the time comes.
Yeah, I'm think the 190 day mark will come in handy that day! And I assume Steve would be along for that trip (I'm getting used to being the perpetual third-wheel!)

I'll need to see how you guys do this year on the repeat trip! I think the Poly would be super convenient for those days, but Swolphin definitely wins on price (especially if I can snag a Hotwire/Priceline deal)

First, night pre-BCV: I'm going to go cheap on this, probably an All Star. I literally will just use it as a place to sleep. I didn't want to waste one of my expensive BCV nights when I will be arriving in the evening. I did do the math though, and I think I will get the Deluxe Dining Plan this night. It will give me 3 TS credits, 2 snacks, and a refillable mug, with each TS credit including an app, entree, dessert, and drink. Yachtsman Steakhouse has been on my radar for my trip planning, but I always saw the price tags and shrinked a bit. With the DxDP, I won't have that anymore (yeah, I'll be paying it, just in advance). This is also why I switched Yak and Yeti away from December - it makes sense to use that as my 3rd TS credit. Then I will be able to use the 2 snack credits on 2 expensive Festival of the Arts dishes. And the mug will come in handy during my other stays and the cruise. When I did the math, including AP discounts, taxes, etc, it would save me over $50 (before the mug)!

Good idea with staying cheaper the first night. I have lately begun to do that (hence the night at Pop during solo trip) because I'm barely in my room the first night due to late arrival and wanting to get to the parks early the next day. So somplace comfy and clean is a-ok!

Yes! Go Yachtsman! Lemme know when you go and I'll email my guy. David works Thursday to Sunday usually. He's super nice and he might hook you up with some "palate cleansers" or a dessert.

And the other exciting news, the nights post-cruise. I decided to go ahead and rent DVC again...this time at the Polynesian! This has definitely been one of my dream resorts. I was able to use a private renter (same one I'm getting CCV from) since the websites didn't have any owners with points available. I really can't wait to stay on a monorail resort! Which is why I think I may try to do a progressive dinner: drink and appetizer at Trader Sams, entree at Mizner or Citrico's Lounge, dessert at California Grill and fireworks! I'm also going to need to budget in plenty of relaxation time at the pools! I really hope February weather doesn't let me down!

How exciting!! Yay for the Poly!
Weather in Feb should be pretty decent. May be warm enough for the hot tub! The only time I went in Feb was towards the end of Feb and we had one super cold day, and the rest were really nice, not too hot or cold.

May Girl's Trip!

Now, this is the fun part: I'm planning ANOTHER TRIP to WDW next year! Last week, within about 5 hours, a bunch of my fellow TRers and I came up with the idea of a girls trip, picked dates, and started making plans! So I will be at the world from May 1-7. We currently have about 22 people confirmed to be going (some for longer or shorter stays), and it's going to be crazy!!!!

You can read all about the planning here: "The most EPIC Pre-Trip Report - Group PTR 2019!"

I don't have airfare booked just yet (but am using the American Airlines 24-hold liberally), and havent figured out if/who would be a roommate and what resort, but I'm definitely going!

YAY! I can't believe this is actually happening but I'm over the moon excited for it!

I'm in the researching stages of a trip to Tokyo Disney in Fall 2019. Still a lot to think about with this one, but I checked my various air miles accounts and I realized I had enough to fly roundtrip to Asia - 3 times! (I'd actually have enough to fly business class, but the only airlines available also have huge carrier surcharges, so it would cost me >$450 in fees, while the economy options include airlines without surcharges and cost me <$60 in fees).

I'm still trying to pick between mid/late September and early/mid November, so if anyone has any tips on choosing between those seasons, let me know!

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Haha if it were me I'd definitely spring for business class, it's probably the only time international business class would be that cheap anyways. Are you flying Japan or Cathay Pacific?
I'm flying to Australia on Cathay on business class on miles this fall and I'm like more exited about the flight than I am about the destination! (although I have been to Australia before, which may be why, hahaha).

As for dates...I don't think there is any difference. Weather may be less hot in Nov though.

New Years Eve 2019-2020

So, yeah, um...I think I'm also headed to WDW for next New Year's Eve! With the girls trip, it was only about $100 difference between purchasing a ticket and upgrading my DLR AP back to Premier for a 3rd year in a row, plus all the benefits that come with an AP. I've also really wanted to see WDW on New Years Eve, and SWGE will be open... so why not plan a trip! I already know crowds are going to be insane, so I just need to work with that. I'll probably book Swolphin for $ and proximity to both Epcot (NYE fireworks) and DHS (SWGE).

YAY!!! This needs some expert planning on our part...we have to use all the tricks! :woohoo:

Yeah, I'm think the 190 day mark will come in handy that day! And I assume Steve would be along for that trip (I'm getting used to being the perpetual third-wheel!)

If it involves SWGE most likely he'll be involved, but don't worry, everyone likes Steve better than me...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I'm pretty serious about springing for the VIP tour though if we get enough people....:scratchin

can you get a late reservation and see the midnight fireworks from the observation deck? I know you can do the earlier ones, but I'd probably do Dessert Party for that.

Don't they do events at the Cali Grill on this day and the 31st like special New years parties/meals? Not sure if it's the 30th too, but I thought it was.

Go Yachtsman! Lemme know when you go and I'll email my guy. David works Thursday to Sunday usually. He's super nice and he might hook you up with some "palate cleansers" or a dessert.
I love that you have a guy! I do remember you mentioning him in a previous TR!

Weather in Feb should be pretty decent. May be warm enough for the hot tub! The only time I went in Feb was towards the end of Feb and we had one super cold day, and the rest were really nice, not too hot or cold.
I'm definitely crossing my fingers! But it seems like you can never tell with Orlando weather at that time of year - sometimes super hot, sometimes cold!

Haha if it were me I'd definitely spring for business class, it's probably the only time international business class would be that cheap anyways. Are you flying Japan or Cathay Pacific?
I'm flying to Australia on Cathay on business class on miles this fall and I'm like more exited about the flight than I am about the destination! (although I have been to Australia before, which may be why, hahaha).
I would looove to fly business, and would be willing to spend the miles, but the extra fees throw me for a loop! I mean $450 is pretty insane in addition to doubling the amount of miles I will lose! I would be flying someone Star Alliance (my miles are from Aeroplan); the only business options are ANA, Asiana, or Air China (with very few direct flight options); for economy there are more airlines, as well as a lot more direct flight options - I'd probably end up with United, which I'm not exactly a fan of, but that may be the best option financially!

YAY!!! This needs some expert planning on our part...we have to use all the tricks! :woohoo:
Oh yeah! Definitely would prefer to have a reserved spot for both the shows so we don't have to deal with the craziness! I'm thinking: SWGE in morning, rest at hotel afternoon before braving Epcot! Also, I love how I'm thinking about what I'm going to be doing for lunch on NYE in 1.5 yrs!

If it involves SWGE most likely he'll be involved, but don't worry, everyone likes Steve better than me...:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I'm pretty serious about springing for the VIP tour though if we get enough people....:scratchin
That could definitely be interesting!

Don't they do events at the Cali Grill on this day and the 31st like special New years parties/meals? Not sure if it's the 30th too, but I thought it was.
I haven't been able to find anything for events on the 30th; they do have a $650 on NYE, which is totally beyond my price range. The hours are listed until 10pm, and I know they don't necessarily kick you out at 10pm, but would we be able to delay enough to wait until midnight? Unfortunately the Top of the World Lounge is off limits to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower those two nights.

I would looove to fly business, and would be willing to spend the miles, but the extra fees throw me for a loop! I mean $450 is pretty insane in addition to doubling the amount of miles I will lose! I would be flying someone Star Alliance (my miles are from Aeroplan); the only business options are ANA, Asiana, or Air China (with very few direct flight options); for economy there are more airlines, as well as a lot more direct flight options - I'd probably end up with United, which I'm not exactly a fan of, but that may be the best option financially!

My reasoning is this...450 bucks for international business class is the cheapest you'll probably ever pay (unless you travel for work) - and this may be one of your only opportunities to do so. If you do, I'd do ANA (Japanese) or Asiana (Korean) - I'd stay clear of Air China. It gets very dismal reviews. I've flown Asiana business class before and it's quite nice, in fact I'm flying back on Asiana and stopping in Incheon. United Business has improved, and I was actually pretty impressed with the economy class from Newark to Tokyo.

Also do you have Global Entry? It will be worth it (it also includes precheck which I think I remember you having). If you have one of those premium credit cards, like Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige or Amex Platinum, then they will cover the Global Entry fee as part of your annual fee (it's 100 bucks). Also it includes lounge access which is very very nice to have when travelling internationally. I've taken showers after flying for 15 hours and it was like, the best feeling ever. I used to travel international a lot but stopped when started full time jobs because there's so little time to travel, and now Disney takes up all my time, LOL. So, how to get a job with unlimited vacation like Lesley...:scratchin

Oh yeah! Definitely would prefer to have a reserved spot for both the shows so we don't have to deal with the craziness! I'm thinking: SWGE in morning, rest at hotel afternoon before braving Epcot! Also, I love how I'm thinking about what I'm going to be doing for lunch on NYE in 1.5 yrs!

Absolutely a must!!
Hahaha, well, at this year's NYE I will be thinking where I will be next year, and most likely at Cali Grill ! Hahaha

That could definitely be interesting!

Yeah it's for those serious enough to fork over 300 bucks per person (if we got 10 people) I know a bunch that would do it, Monykalyn totally wants to do it. and it we just asked on the DIS boards I'm sure we'll get enough people.

My reasoning is this...450 bucks for international business class is the cheapest you'll probably ever pay (unless you travel for work) - and this may be one of your only opportunities to do so. If you do, I'd do ANA (Japanese) or Asiana (Korean) - I'd stay clear of Air China. It gets very dismal reviews. I've flown Asiana business class before and it's quite nice, in fact I'm flying back on Asiana and stopping in Incheon. United Business has improved, and I was actually pretty impressed with the economy class from Newark to Tokyo.

Also do you have Global Entry? It will be worth it (it also includes precheck which I think I remember you having). If you have one of those premium credit cards, like Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige or Amex Platinum, then they will cover the Global Entry fee as part of your annual fee (it's 100 bucks). Also it includes lounge access which is very very nice to have when travelling internationally. I've taken showers after flying for 15 hours and it was like, the best feeling ever. I used to travel international a lot but stopped when started full time jobs because there's so little time to travel, and now Disney takes up all my time, LOL. So, how to get a job with unlimited vacation like Lesley...:scratchin

I am still trying to figure out the flight situation. (I used to fly more for work, but don't as much anymore). And I think I would definitely prefer ANA or Asiana! I guess I'll just have to see what's available when it comes time to book!

Absolutely a must!!
Hahaha, well, at this year's NYE I will be thinking where I will be next year, and most likely at Cali Grill ! Hahaha

Yeah it's for those serious enough to fork over 300 bucks per person (if we got 10 people) I know a bunch that would do it, Monykalyn totally wants to do it. and it we just asked on the DIS boards I'm sure we'll get enough people.

I'm actually super excited for this trip! It'll be crazy, but I think I can make the most of it! And a VIP Tour would definitely be worth it if we can get 10 people.

Day 9, Friday, December 7
Park: MK

Breakfast: skip/sleep-in; probably Roaring Fork for something QS, maybe I'll just delay until Geyser Point opens for lunch!
Lunch: Geyser Point
Dinner: The Wave The Boathouse

Evening Plans: California Grill for dessert; though I may go for a sunset ADR, so dessert before dinner, and then just come back for the fireworks! *I'm still waffling between California Grill for Friday or Saturday. I may

I was going to say that you were doing something similar to me the week after (I'm going to Cali Grill Friday night 11/30 - and am psyched to see the Christmas fireworks), but then I kept reading and it looks like you switched that to your February trip! I'm just really excited to see WL - we're staying there for the majority of our Nov/Dec trip (added a few days at Pop at the beginning too now). Can't wait to hear about all of your trips - and now the New Year's one too! So awesome!

Update 8/23 - Help me pick shirts!

So, first, lots and lots of changes for December and February. But I will hold off posting until the dust has all settled! For February, Mom has decided to come along on the cruise and to WDW, so I am adjusting plans to make it enjoyable for her! But anyways...more on that later!

I do have an urgent need - help me pick shirts for December! Anyone who checks out my TRs knows I LOVE fun Disney shirts! So, obviously Christmas will be awesome! I've scoured etsy and teepublic and everything, getting ideas and collecting options. So, now I need some more Disney expert opinions! I think I've decided I can have up to 12 new shirts. I will be there for 10 nights/11 days, so that gives me one outfit change (though I already have some fun Christmas shirts and sweaters). I also need to keep in mind if the weather is colder, then I'd be wearing a sweater, which would negate this whole thing!

First the ones I've already decided on:

Shirts 1-4:
Fiona the Hippo, Toy Story, Sven, Baymax!

yes1.png

Shirts 5, 6: Star Wars!

star wars.png

Now the ones I need help with!

Shirt 7: Groot. I really don't know about this one! #3 is super cute, but I like Rocket in #1.
groot.png

Shirt 8: Lion King. Another I'm not sure about at all! I don't know how I feel about a big warthog on my chest for #1, but #3 seems too subtle?
lion king.png

Shirt 9: Stitch. I'm leaning towards #1 because it's adorable!
stitch.png

Shirt 10: Christmas List. Can't decide again! I like the colors for #1, but for some reason #2 has a simplicity that draws me in.
xmas list.png

So, that leaves Shirts 11-12, so I have to narrow this down to 2 options. I'm leaning towards #1 and #2...but still undecided!
other.png

So yeah, go ahead and vote! Or let me know if you've seen others that could be cute!

I was going to say that you were doing something similar to me the week after (I'm going to Cali Grill Friday night 11/30 - and am psyched to see the Christmas fireworks), but then I kept reading and it looks like you switched that to your February trip! I'm just really excited to see WL - we're staying there for the majority of our Nov/Dec trip (added a few days at Pop at the beginning too now). Can't wait to hear about all of your trips - and now the New Year's one too! So awesome!
I think I may end up doing it after all, so I'm glad I didn't cancel those backup reservations!

Love the shirts you've already picked out!

And the ones you are deciding on are all nice too!

Groot- This is a tough one! #1 is really cute because it has Rocket and Groot looks super cute and happy!

Lion King- I still vote #1!

Stitch- #1 is super adorable and I like the little mickeys on it too!

Christmas List- Ohh torn between #1 and #2...I agree the colors on the first one are so fun!!

Shirts 11 & 12- #1 definitely!! I also like #5!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!