Footloose and Fancy Free-Dec 2018, Feb 2019 PTR-12/31-TR Link!

Do I see Illuminations when I plan to be at AK at 7 am the next morning?

• Yes, why sleep at Disney? And the show could be replaced by my next visit!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No, get some rest so I can hit AK hard the next day.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1/29 - Major Announcement!

So, that additional trip I've been alluding to for the past month or so, well it's officially happening!

I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND PARIS!

giphy.gif

Woohoo!!!

giphy.gif

How did this happen?

Well, my mom decided last year she really wanted to take a family vacation in 2018. It's a combination of her and my dad's 40th wedding anniversary (they got married in college since she's Canadian and he's American, so it was the best way for her to move to the US), and possibly the last opportunity for us to really go away together, with Lauren starting law school in the fall, Anthony still looking for full-time jobs anywhere and everywhere (he's in film and because he's a dual American/Canadian citizen, its a real possibility he could eventually move to Vancouver), and once I get my own place I probably couldn't afford to take as much time. Growing up, we also didn't visit so many places; most of our summer vacations were spent travelling up to Vancouver to visit Mom's family, and I think both Mom and Dad regret not going more places. I think Mom also suggested a family vacation because she was tired of going on vacations alone with my dad...

giphy.gif

But where to? She said she didn't want to be doing a go-go-go trip, and really didn't want to be staying in a new place every other night, as that gets exhausting. I brought up an Alaskan cruise (preferably Disney, but I could deal with non-Disney), but that got shot down because my family aren't good sports. Then we considered Hawaii, which would have been fine, but not the most exciting, as we've done a family vacation there when we were kids. They considered a train journey from LA-Chicago, but I said I wouldn't be good with that, it seems like so boring just staring at farmlands for days and days! So, eventually we decided on International. But again, where? We had already done London+South England in 2015 (it was partially a family vacation and partially a memorial for my Grandma who grew up there). Lots of places were thrown out, and I even created a Google Form to anonymously poll people:

upload_2018-1-29_10-19-11.png

(That was my vote.) In the end it was clear the top vote getters were: Italy, France, Scotland/Ireland, and Germany. We narrowed it down to Italy and France and mulled it over for a bit (note-I was also pestering everyone often to make a decision, as I wanted to visit Disneyland Paris and there was a special deal available until February 5th). I think everyone was somewhat interested in either place. But, we finally decided on France. We all love to visit Italy, but were worried there'd be so much we'd want to see, it would end up being a go-go-go trip. For France, I had done a lot of research, found great country towns that would work, and could help my mom achieve a more relaxing French vacation.

giphy.gif

We finally booked airfare yesterday and I was free to book Disneyland Paris for myself-no one else wanted to go; I'm staying a couple extra days after Mom and Dad leave. Right now DLP has an awesome deal - Buy 2 nights, get 2 nights free, including tickets! So, it cost me $1200 for 4 nights/5 days; that is at a club level room at the Sequoia Lodge, which is only a 10 minute walk to the parks, and includes breakfast, afternoon snacks, plus some other perks. So, it's not cheap by regular standards, but by Disney standards, it's a steal!

giphy.gif

I went ahead and created a new PTR on the Paris boards (it feels like the planning is so different than WDW, I shouldn't put it in here): "Remy, Marie, and Me".

So, I'm soooo looking forward to this!

I brought up an Alaskan cruise (preferably Disney, but I could deal with non-Disney), but that got shot down because my family aren't good sports.
I love that--I'm stealing it. My family aren't good sports about anything that's my idea!! ...of course my idea is ALWAYS to go back to WDW, so...

So, it cost me $1200 for 4 nights/5 days; that is at a club level room at the Sequoia Lodge, which is only a 10 minute walk to the parks, and includes breakfast, afternoon snacks, plus some other perks. So, it's not cheap by regular standards, but by Disney standards, it's a steal!
That's an awesome deal!!! Was that available through Disney directly or did you use a TA?

That's an awesome deal!!! Was that available through Disney directly or did you use a TA?
Direct through Disney! They often have deals, things like free meal plans, etc. And each country has their own page, so you have to search around to find the best one (though you can book it from any country). Luckily enough, the American version had the best deal (well, same as the UK and international US language one), so I went with that. France I think had a 40% off, but still not as good as US!

Direct through Disney! They often have deals, things like free meal plans, etc. And each country has their own page, so you have to search around to find the best one (though you can book it from any country). Luckily enough, the American version had the best deal (well, same as the UK and international US language one), so I went with that. France I think had a 40% off, but still not as good as US!
How amazing!!!! I’m so excited for you and for getting such an awesome deal!!!

Lol I think you told me about this happening when we met up in DL, but omg how exciting! I'm so jealous. And same @ voting for Tokyo as your number one :goodvibes I WANNA SEE THE WORLD!!!

Update 2/7 - Flower and Garden food!

I leave in 3 weeks! Yippee! I really need some downtime, even if only for a few days!

Magicband arrived last week, along with DME documents. (I got 2 MBs because I never took the second name off the reservation and if I was going to, UT may have needed to do a whole new reservation, and I didn't want to deal with that complication. So, now Lauren has a spare MB.) I also decided rather than using my name on the back, I would put the date, so I knew which MB came from which trip! And I went with Pink, because that seemed to fit for Flower & Garden (in December I will probably get Red/Green).

upload_2018-2-7_16-27-42.png

I also saw some new Magicbands they were selling, and was sooo close to getting one or two or ten! But I think if I started allowing myself to buy special MBs I would never stop! It's the same principal I have as to not buy any Tsum Tsums for myself!

upload_2018-2-7_16-33-14.png upload_2018-2-7_16-33-28.png upload_2018-2-7_16-34-24.png upload_2018-2-7_16-35-3.png

And, I got a new phone-upgraded to the iPhone 8. I was hoping to get the iPhone X, but my company changed the cell phone policy that they won't let people pay to upgrade their phone, so 8 was the best they would do. So far, it seems to be good, but I am a bit bummed out I couldn't get the X or at least 8 Plus (they changed the policy in mid-December and I was due to upgrade at end of December).

WDWNT also posted about a new Otterbox Disney case seen in the parks, and I'm not going to lie, if they have it in the 8 version, I may end up buying one!

upload_2018-2-7_16-37-45.png

I also did a bit of shopping at Disneyland this past weekend, because I'm loving the new Parks designs.

For myself, a shirt and keychain. I also got magnetic clipboard/notepad, but don't have a picture. And I was going to get the ornament, but it wasn't there when I went back (so maybe will have to wait for restock). I think they have similar designs for WDW, so I may end up blowing the budget when I get there!
Uqu60hZ.jpg
ODpgWat.jpg
X9iv2JL.jpg

And for dad (fathers day), a shirt, which I think is pretty cool and totally his style!
hMYspQ7.jpg

And, aren't CMs at Disney the cutest! Came across this in DCA!
vcgmPlH.jpg

(I also enjoyed the whole Lunar New Year stuff, but I need to put together my videos/pictures so will make a separate post about that.)

Anyways, the real news, menus were released for Flower and Garden booths! And I'm already soooo excited! I had to divide up into Must-try, Really-want-to-try, and Still-want-to-try :crazy:. I think I will need to go back on Sunday to hit more booths!
Must Try:
  • Griddled Maple Pound Cake with Warm Peach Compote and Sweet Corn Gelato
  • Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer with Steamed Rice and Coconut Lime Sauce
  • Frozen Desert Violet Lemonade
  • Teriyaki Salmon with Furikake Seasoned Brown Rice
  • Frushi: Fresh Pineapple, Strawberry and Melon rolled with Coconut Rice, sprinkled with Toasted Coconut and Whipped Cream with Raspberry Sauce on the side
  • Canard Confit Aux Gnocchi à la Parisienne: Braised Duck Confit with Parisian Gnocchi
  • Macaron au Chocolat en Sucette: Large Chocolate Macaron Lollipop
  • La Vie en Rose Frozen Slushy: Grey Goose Orange, St. Germain Liqueur, White and Red Cranberry Juice
upload_2018-2-7_16-51-44.png upload_2018-2-7_16-51-52.png upload_2018-2-7_16-52-8.png
Really want to try:
  • Beef Tenderloin Tips, Mushroom Bordelaise Sauce, Whipped Potatoes with Garden Vegetables
  • Local Wildflower Honey-Mascarpone Cheesecake with Orange Blossom Honey Ice Cream garnished with Fennel Pollen Meringue Kisses
  • Honey-Peach Cobbler Freeze
  • Ravioli: Maine Lobster Ravioli with Vodka Sauce
  • Ginger Beef Yaki Udon: Thin-sliced Beef, Onions and Noodles tossed on the grill with Soy and Ginger
Still want to try:
  • Tropical Mousse Cake: Layers of Passion Fruit Cake, Coconut Mousse and a Tropical Fruit Glaze with Fresh Pineapple
  • Tropical Freeze
  • Watermelon Cucumber Slushy
Ok, I think that's all the updates for now!

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_16-51-31.png
    upload_2018-2-7_16-51-31.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 1
I would put the date, so I knew which MB came from which trip!

That's a good idea :rotfl:

I also saw some new Magicbands they were selling, and was sooo close to getting one or two or ten! But I think if I started allowing myself to buy special MBs I would never stop!

:laughing: I only buy the special ones occasionally. I have maybe 2 of them. This trip will be my first with a 2.0 band I've been resistant to the change :lmao:

Frozen Desert Violet Lemonade

Yes yum!

• Macaron au Chocolat en Sucette: Large Chocolate Macaron Lollipop
  • La Vie en Rose Frozen Slushy: Grey Goose Orange, St. Germain Liqueur, White and Red Cranberry Juice

Of course you have to prepare for France :thumbsup2

Beef Tenderloin Tips, Mushroom Bordelaise Sauce, Whipped Potatoes with Garden Vegetables

I got this last year and it didn't have a lot of beef in it. It was alright, but a little disappointing.

Honey-Peach Cobbler Freeze

I'm intrigued by this too.

Watermelon Cucumber Slushy

I also got this last year and it tasted horrible! :crazy2: But other people I talked to said theirs was fine so I wonder if mine wasn't mixed together right or something.

Glad you could get your new phone, sorry it wasn't the one you wanted though.

The 2018 parks designs are so cute, it's a good year for merch!

The violet lemonade was my favorite thing from F&G, I miss it!!

I only buy the special ones occasionally. I have maybe 2 of them. This trip will be my first with a 2.0 band I've been resistant to the change
I remember you trying to decide on designs before last fall! I never had a choice about MB 1 vs 2; well actually, my only purchased Magic Band (Star Wars, obviously) is a MB1, but I guess I can't really tell the difference between them!

Of course you have to prepare for France :thumbsup2
Absolutely! The French booth looks really good too!

I got this last year and it didn't have a lot of beef in it. It was alright, but a little disappointing.
That's too bad! I think I'll visit that booth anyways for the maple pound cake, so maybe I'll just get it to try!

I'm intrigued by this too.
I'll let you know how it is!

I also got this last year and it tasted horrible! :crazy2: But other people I talked to said theirs was fine so I wonder if mine wasn't mixed together right or something.
If I skip anything, it would probably be the slushy. It's the only thing from that booth I'm interested in, so I may end up just not bothering to stop!

I leave in 3 weeks! Yippee! I really need some downtime, even if only for a few days!
Ha... downtime and disney world... funny... I mean you will have a GREAT time, but I would never call it downtime. I hope your 3 weeks go by fast! The last couple weeks leading up to our trip seemed to take FOREVER!!!

But I think if I started allowing myself to buy special MBs I would never stop!
This is exactly what I was thinking!

WDWNT also posted about a new Otterbox Disney case seen in the parks, and I'm not going to lie, if they have it in the 8 version, I may end up buying one!

upload_2018-2-7_16-37-45-png.300874
I did not see that one while I was there. I like that one, though!

La Vie en Rose Frozen Slushy: Grey Goose Orange, St. Germain Liqueur, White and Red Cranberry Juice
I need someone to fedex me one of these.

That all looks sooooooo good. Enjoy!

Ha... downtime and disney world... funny... I mean you will have a GREAT time, but I would never call it downtime. I hope your 3 weeks go by fast! The last couple weeks leading up to our trip seemed to take FOREVER!!!
Haha, yeah I realize those two things don't really go together! But I guess, for me it makes sense. Disney is definitely my happy place, so even though it gets busy and lots of stuff to do, I still enjoy it all. And I won't be doing work at all (hopefully I'll remember to just totally ignore my work email altogether). I also don't have to think about anyone else on this trip, which will be cool! And I may even get more sleep without having my horrible cat (who I still love deeply) waking me up every 2 hours for food. Literally, last night I was up at 12, 2, 5, 6:30 to stop him from knocking things down in the hallway!

Haha, yeah I realize those two things don't really go together! But I guess, for me it makes sense. Disney is definitely my happy place, so even though it gets busy and lots of stuff to do, I still enjoy it all. And I won't be doing work at all (hopefully I'll remember to just totally ignore my work email altogether). I also don't have to think about anyone else on this trip, which will be cool! And I may even get more sleep without having my horrible cat (who I still love deeply) waking me up every 2 hours for food. Literally, last night I was up at 12, 2, 5, 6:30 to stop him from knocking things down in the hallway!
No it makes sense. But is also funny at the same time. You are almost ready to go! Getting excited?

Update 2/21 - One week to go!

I leave for Disneyworld in 1 week! Woohoo! I can't wait! So excited to get back to being in the Disney bubble! My Touring Plans room request is all ready to go; I edited the default they send out, so hopefully I'll be able to get a partial savannah view in Zebra Trail on 2nd or 3rd floor.

We are also going thru a cold spell in LA right now; especially after the amazing warm weather we've been having, it's physically making me feel icky. Orlando looks like they are having mid/high 80s daytime and mid/low 70s evenings, so I'm looking forward to that!

giphy.gif

Final plans:

Day 0 - Feb 28

Scheduled plane arrival: 6:07pm.
Originally I was supposed to arrive at 4:12pm, which would have given me plenty of time for an evening at a park, but now I just don't really want to rush like that. I do have a FoP FP for 7-8, but I don't want to be hustling to get over there in time, so I am thinking I will cancel it. I will probably relax at AKL that evening. Probably try to get some hot tub time in!

ADR: Jiko at 8:10pm.

giphy.gif

Day 1 - March 1

Breakfast - Probably grab something from the Mara. If animals are out and I have a view, probably bring back to the room and eat on the balcony

AM: Disney Springs. Shopping! Our last trip I felt so rushed at Disney Springs (we were delayed at our previous ADR and had a FP upcoming), so at least this time I won't have to think about where someone else wants to go!

giphy.gif

Turns out my disfriend Zach (Amusiclifeforme) planned a last minute Disney trip that will overlap with mine, so we will be getting together a few times, including at Disney Springs.
Lunch - Definitely Daily Poutine. I'd like to try Pizza Ponte, but I think that will have to wait for December. I may supplement the poutine with a Ganachery s'mores or Amorette's cake. Zach is getting D Luxe, and while it's on my list of places, Daily Poutine is higher, so I will probably get my food and bring it over to the D Luxe seating area.

Zach also suggested doing the Star Wars VR experience; even though we had both done it before, we also were both interested in doing it again. Doing it solo is just awkward, so it made sense to each get a ticket for the same time!

giphy.gif

Magic Kingdom - Hit some FP rides, dinner at Skipper Canteen, HEA dessert party, then Disney After Hours! Zach will be doing this event too, so we will see if we meet up again during it!

Day 2 - March 2

Focus this day is on Flower and Garden. I have FPs from 10-1 for Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, and Frozen Ever After. I also want to hit as many food booths as possible. And I'll probably duck into Voices of Liberty during the afternoon.

giphy.gif

Dinner is at Via Napoli. Right now I have a 5:30 reservation (back from when I thought it had to be earlier to get to see Fantasmic, before I postponed that), but would prefer a later one, so have a touring plans search going for it.

Evening has no plans, and will depend on how I feel and how long I end up spending at Epcot. A part of me wants to check out Trader Sam's, but I also don't want to deal with the lines. So... could just end up being an early night in at AKL. Besides, I have an early wake-up the next day!

Day 3 - March 3

While this was originally going to be much more relaxing, it turned out to be much more scheduled! I even have a touring plans itinerary for it! They extended hours 1 hour each way, so that means EMH 7-8, regular hours 8-9pm. I thought about going back to the resort to rest mid-day, but I think I'll power through it!

giphy.gif

I have the Wild Africa Trek booked, and hope to get in on the backstage vet tour (free!), so I will let you know how that goes!

Most food will be via small stops. I'd like to get into Nomad Lounge for the poutine, but I'm not so sure when/if that will happen, now that I have the RPW tour.

Dinner will be at Tiffins; I was surprised when Tiffins also extended hours by 30 minutes (I've heard most of the time dining places don't extend hours when the park does), so I pushed back dinner to 8:25pm to give me a maximum amount of time soaking in the nighttime ambiance!

Day 4 - March 4

Breakfast at Boma right when it opens; I figure at least it will be in the building, so I can pick up my suitcase afterwards.

giphy.gif

So, right now I have FPs at AK. But I'm not so sure about if I will head there or not. I think it will depend on timing. Maybe I'll just get a ride on Flight of Passage (FP 9:30-10:30). Most of day will probably be back at Epcot to check out Flower & Garden again, hit any food booths I missed, etc.

Flight home at 6:05pm. I'm still debating this. Part of me wants to bring my carry-on backpack to the parks and hop in an Uber direct from Epcot to MCO. I have precheck and no one else to worry about... That would give me over an hour extra in the parks, even more once you consider the time reserved to bus back to AKL. I think it will depend on how the day has gone.

giphy.gif

I leave for Disneyworld in 1 week!

Yay! :cheer2:

We are also going thru a cold spell in LA right now; especially after the amazing warm weather we've been having,

In NY today was 75 degrees, tomorrow 30 and snowing :rotfl:

Definitely Daily Poutine. I'd like to try Pizza Ponte, but I think that will have to wait for December. I may supplement the poutine with a Ganachery s'mores or Amorette's cake.

I'd definitely pick poutine over pizza too :lovestruc

I have the Wild Africa Trek booked, and hope to get in on the backstage vet tour (free!), so I will let you know how that goes!
OOOOOH, you are going to love this!!! We did it in December 2016 and it was just incredible!! Loved all the pictures they took while we were on the tour, and all of them were included free, which was so nice. I haven't heard of the backstage vet tour--details!?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!