FOP for a 5year old

Nohal

DIS Veteran
The family will be going to Disney for 5 days in August. I don't like FOP makes me a bit dizzy so I can do without going on the ride. I'm not sure how my DGD will do with this ride. Last year she didn't like any dark rides and was a little freaked out on the Little Mermaid.

My question is will I be able to go through the FP line without a FP in case she doesn't want to go on the ride after seeing the pre show (I'm sure she will be upset). The rest of the family with the exception of DH have never been on this ride and they are looking forward to it. How does rider swap work for this ride when FP are involved?

The family will be going to Disney for 5 days in August. I don't like FOP makes me a bit dizzy so I can do without going on the ride. I'm not sure how my DGD will do with this ride. Last year she didn't like any dark rides and was a little freaked out on the Little Mermaid.

My question is will I be able to go through the FP line without a FP in case she doesn't want to go on the ride after seeing the pre show (I'm sure she will be upset). The rest of the family with the exception of DH have never been on this ride and they are looking forward to it. How does rider swap work for this ride when FP are involved?
They will not let you enter the FP queue without a FP. I can’t speak to the rider swap.

- All guests entering an attraction's FP queue must have a valid FP for that attraction, including all character M&Gs. The only exceptions to this are small children under 3yo, who do not need FPs.

If DGD meets the height requirement, then you should not expect to qualify for a rider swap pass.

Last edited:
You should book a FoP FP for yourself and enter the FP line along with the rest of your group. If DGD freaks out prior to actually loading on the ride, exit with her.

Alternately, book FoP for yourself along with the others and stay outside with DGD while the rest of the group rides. Then, give one of the adults your MB so they can enter the FP line with DGD. If she freaks out, then the adult and DGD exit the line. If she actually rides FoP, the lucky adult enjoys ride#2.

All kids are different, but my five year old adored FOP in April. She loves big rides, though. She also loved Expedition Everest.

I’d show her pics and talk about and see how she feels. If you think she will be afraid, I’d do what hiroMyHero suggests. Those are a couple of good alternatives. Be aware that some CMs will question the same person entering the fastpass line twice in a short period of time. I think most CMs are fine with it, but once when I gave my band to my daughter so she could use my Barnstormer fastpass and ride twice in a row, she was stopped and said she could only ride once through the fastpass line. I think that doesn’t happen very often, but I have seen other reports of it.

They aren't going to let someone in the FP line without a FP. If she gets through the pre-show then is too scared to ride, have someone talk to a CM right then and there. They will possibly allow one person to wait outside the room with her while the others ride. Then they can take her and leave while the adult who stayed with her rides. This is how it's often handled with someone tall enough to ride but too scared. They still go through the queue (and if using FP, she will need one too), and the swap happens right at loading for the ride.

If she didn't like the dark rides, she might not like FoP. A lot can change in a year, but you can always see how she handles a dark ride first...

My 5 year old DGS loved FoP. But, he "loved" everything and his favorite ride was ToT.

I’m just curious as to why you would use a fast pass for a ride that you don’t think your 5 year old DGD would like in the first place. Obviously you know her well enough to judge what she may or may not like certainly better than any of us who don’t know her at all. What if you fast pass the Navi River Journey for the two of you while the rest of the family rides FOP?

My DD and DH are riding Navi while her BFF rides FOP. That way everyone is riding what they like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter