FOP FP changed to multi FP on Jan 14th

Positive spin, even though the after dark issue remains:
You might have a VERY nice low crowd day at AK. Depending on what else I had planned, I might actually target AK for that day in hopes of very low crowds, and then hop somewhere else.

Are you staying onsite at a deluxe? The only reason I ask is because it is worth a visit to the concierge upon arrival, asking very nicely and explaining your situation and maybe asking if he'll switch your FP on two days. For example, if you're going to MK the day before then switch those 3 FP to the AK day and then give you the 3 FP you have at AK on your MK day. I've found being nice to the concierge and asking nicely goes a long way and the cast members really do want you to have a magical trip and don't want you to have a bad experience. They also can move all kinds of things around for you I've experienced this "magic" before and they were so helpful. Not this exact situation, but I asked about booking a 4th FP and PH and how best I should do something. He asked me what else I wanted to ride to "fit it all in" (we went for 1 day before a Disney cruise) and little did I know he booked 6 FP for me in 2 parks. Magic I tell you! :)

You might have a VERY nice low crowd day at AK. Depending on what else I had planned, I might actually target AK for that day in hopes of very low crowds, and then hop somewhere else.
This was my thought exactly. If I had a trip during those dates and hadn't planned to be in AK that morning I'd be seriously considering it now.

This is not heavily advertised. Park hours are still the same, so most won't even know about it until they get there.

I received a message recently stating that my 7 to 8 pm fp for FOP at AK was being changed to a multiple experience fp on Jan 14th . Has this ever happened to anyone this far ahead of their visit? Any idea what's going on?
I received a message recently stating that my 7 to 8 pm fp for FOP at AK was being changed to a multiple experience fp on Jan 14th . Has this ever happened to anyone this far ahead of their visit? Any idea what's going on?

We just came back from our 8th Thanksgiving trip. During Thanksgiving at least, Pandora lighting is best between 5:30 (dusk) and 6 PM. Granted the walk to FOP is beautiful between 5:30 and 6, but FOP and NRJ are both inside. We did Safari just before that and it was great. Our best Safari trip. All the animals were out (in the middle of the road I might add). We scheduled Tiffins for 3 PM to allow time to see Pandora both day and evening. We then made it to ROL by 6:15.

Honestly, Pandora is the most beautiful right at/around dusk. Once those lights come on, but there's still a tiny bit of sunlight. When it is really dark, it's very hard to see and walk around, and it's not quite as pretty.

I would be annoyed if it was my AK day. I'm going with my teenager next year and we are going to sleep in and stay to close each night. I think a few people will change park days but everyone that remain will now be pushed onto a smaller amount of rides. They should have extended the hours and had the party 8 to 10pm

I know. I'm talking about specifically wanting to visit Pandora after dark. I've heard for years how nice it is, and now I'm finally going. And they're closing that land early. If I knew earlier, I would have switched my days. That's impossible now.

This kind of stuff is so frustrating. We had a trip a few years ago where it felt like last minute "surprises" kept getting piled on. Hope it works out for you guys in the end!

I think it’s too late in the game for that to work out in this case. People avoid early closing party days at MK because they know about them in advance. People have their ADRs and FPs - possibly FOP which is one of the hardest FPs to get. Most aren’t going to change their days at this point. It might be slightly lower than it would have been but I doubt it will be like a Party day.

Sorry @mom2rtk and OP. I’d be frustrated too.

I think it’s too late in the game for that to work out in this case. People avoid early closing party days at MK because they know about them in advance. People have their ADRs and FPs - possibly FOP which is one of the hardest FPs to get. Most aren’t going to change their days at this point. It might be slightly lower than it would have been but I doubt it will be like a Party day.

Sorry @mom2rtk and OP. I’d be frustrated too.
Thanks! :)

Yeah, I get that. I guess now if I want to catch that 1 hour window of darkness in Pandora, I'll have to give up my dinner reservation. I started scheduling early to avoid nonsense like this.

That totally stinks! I absolutely hate the advance scheduling requirements at WDW these days and much preferred the old FP system and the spontaneity and flexibility that it allowed. We don’t even bother with ADRs anymore and just eat QS or offsite.

it might be worth contacting guest services to explain the situation and ask them to change your dinner res to a later time instead of canceling. Or having them get you a different reservation somewhere that works better for you with the new plan that’s being forced on you.

This is why we don't plan our vacations in months that offer Halloween or Christmas parties. Im not paying Disney prices to be shut out of the parks. I'm sorry this happened to you. It takes me months to plan a great schedule and it can be difficult to rearrange days after fp+ have been meticulously planned and obtained! I found a great offer for us in February then found out that the parks close at 8 or 9. My mistake completely, but it still makes me a little upset, I love all the parks at night! No evening EMH so I paid (very grudgingly) for a DAH to AK. Someone posted that they were at DAH and FOP was closed. Wow, that would probably spoil my night. You try to go with the flow but Disney is a very expensive trip. Since I received a great deal on a Deluxe stay(1st and last time) I'm determined to enjoy our resort in the evening.

Ugh Disney strikes again. I know I've been harping on the Rise media event in the subforum, but this is nearly the same thing. Horrible communication from Disney. AK already has the shortest hours and now this?

I would be angry.

Honestly, Pandora is the most beautiful right at/around dusk. Once those lights come on, but there's still a tiny bit of sunlight. When it is really dark, it's very hard to see and walk around, and it's not quite as pretty.
I was thinking the same thing! We went after ROL our only time that we walked around in Pandora after dark and I was very underwhelmed! It was so dark that it was really hard to see and the bioluminescent stuff was not very visible. We all held hands in a chain because I was worried about losing someone in the dark. I wouldn’t bother going there after dark again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!