CouponGirl

DIS Veteran
I'm still really confused about how rider switch works. I've been reading about it and I think some of the information I'm reading is outdated, but I'm just not sure which info is correct! I'm sure this isn't as complicated as I'm making it in my head but... :confused3

We have two in our group that are too short to ride FOP and four that will ride. No matter how we ride (FP, rider switch, standby) we will have to take turns.

Assuming we are using a FP, does the ENTIRE group need a FP or just the first two that ride? I'm trying to figure out if two of the adults could get a FP for Na'Vi River Journey and ride that with the kids while the first group goes on FOP and then afterwards the second group could go FOP while the first group hangs out with the kids.

FOP was the one height restrictive thing we all really wanted to do, so I want to make sure I don't screw it up for two in the group by making a wrong assumption! I'd love input from someone that has done this in the last few months.

Assuming we are using a FP, does the ENTIRE group need a FP or just the first two that ride?

Technically, the whole group doing FOP will need FP. (Which leaves you with wasted FP for the shorties that can't ride FOP and can't do a ride by themselves. This makes no sense to me.) In practice, it depends on the cast member managing RS. Some will scan in all parties' FP, even the ones doing RS; some will not. FOP is one of the rides where they do scan in all parties' FP more often. Whether you get FP for all riders depends on how much you want to risk those without FP being told that they can't get RS. It doesn't always happen, but it can. When we went, I didn't risk it.

Technically, the whole group doing FOP will need FP. (Which leaves you with wasted FP for the shorties that can't ride FOP and can't do a ride by themselves. This makes no sense to me.) In practice, it depends on the cast member managing RS. Some will scan in all parties' FP, even the ones doing RS; some will not. FOP is one of the rides where they do scan in all parties' FP more often. Whether you get FP for all riders depends on how much you want to risk those without FP being told that they can't get RS. It doesn't always happen, but it can. When we went, I didn't risk it.

Thanks!

Sorry to bump this up again but Id like to get some more info on this subject and this is the only thread I can find that has suggested Not booking different FP options for the adults in their party who plan to utilize RS to essentially get more FPs for tier 1 rides like FOP & Na’vi river. Is it just a good idea to book all the same FPs for everyone in the party if all of the adults plan on riding the same rides? I’d hate for half of us to miss out on something like FOP bc we were trying to “cheat” the system.

Sorry to bump this up again but Id like to get some more info on this subject and this is the only thread I can find that has suggested Not booking different FP options for the adults in their party who plan to utilize RS to essentially get more FPs for tier 1 rides like FOP & Na’vi river. Is it just a good idea to book all the same FPs for everyone in the party if all of the adults plan on riding the same rides? I’d hate for half of us to miss out on something like FOP bc we were trying to “cheat” the system.
We had four adults and a 3 year old. I booked FOP for 3 of the adults and Navi for myself and my 3 year old. I was able to get rider swap for FOP for myself and two of he other adults could come back with me. We did this with several other rides so my 3 year old still got to ride something fun but I didn’t miss the thrill rides. Sometimes the system froze up and the cast member would have to switch scanners but we never had issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!