FOP question

Elephantay

DIS Veteran
I've read that for this ride you sit on something tricky- does the tricky part include a tough knee position?

It might be tough for some. I believe there may still be a ride vehicle outside the attraction where you can test the position.

It's similar to riding on a motorcycle. Your knees are bent and if you're tall, it might be uncomfortable.

It is kind of like riding a bike but one that is not super high off the ground and you are hunched forward a little more...maybe more like a mini-motorcycle.

I wouldn't say it's tricky. I think it's similar to riding a bicycle, leaning forward a bit. Knees are bent and held in place. I've heard those that are very tall (6' 3" plus) have been uncomfortable in the position.

There is a sample seat just outside of where you enter the line. I agree with nancipants, its very simlar to a motorcycle. If you can sit on the edge of your chair and lean forward a little, I think you will be fine.

It's not the most comfortable thing, but it's fine and worth it.
Sit in the example of the chair outside of the ride.

We are hoping to get FP for it- so won't be able to try it out first. Just had a knee replacement and not sure about mobility in a couple of months.

If I remember correctly, the test seat is just outside the queue entrance. Just ask the CM at the entrance to use the test seat.

We are hoping to get FP for it- so won't be able to try it out first. Just had a knee replacement and not sure about mobility in a couple of months.

The test seat is prior to tapping in to use a FP, so just stop by the test seat, if its tolerable, tap in to use your FP & enter the line. Easy peasy.

Thanks- but I guess I'm thinking that I don't want to waste a FP if I can't ride. Good to know theres a test seat though!

Thanks- but I guess I'm thinking that I don't want to waste a FP if I can't ride. Good to know theres a test seat though!

I'd still get the FP. It's not really that bad, but if you find the test seat makes you not want to ride, just change the FP. It will be much easier to change away from FOP than to it.

Is there a reason why you think you won't be able to ride it? There are thousands upon thousands of people of all ages, shapes, sizes and mobility issues who have ridden it. I would say that if you have a chance, definitely get a FP for it. The sample "bike" is not directly out front where people will be watching you, it's off to the right as you are facing the main FOP entrance. There is a CM there to give you pointers on how to seat yourself to fit the best. IMO, FOP is a not-to-be-missed ride, if you can. You can try the sample "bike" at any time, so it won't interfere with your FP time.

Well, Im hoping I can. I just got a new knee and cannot bend much, and from what I understand it can be months before the flexibility improves. So even if I can get in it, I'm not sure if I could stay in that position for the length of the ride if its a big bend. We need to get our FP in two weeks and I can barely move right now :(

Sorry to hear that and I hope you feel better soon! If you get a chance to try the sample seat maybe it will help you plan for your next trip, even if it won't work for this one.
FWIW, there are youtube videos of the sample bike. Some are for pooh sized, but it might help you to see the angle of the knee.
This is the actual ride instruction, start approx. 1 minute in.

HTH!

Well, Im hoping I can. I just got a new knee and cannot bend much, and from what I understand it can be months before the flexibility improves. So even if I can get in it, I'm not sure if I could stay in that position for the length of the ride if its a big bend. We need to get our FP in two weeks and I can barely move right now :(
You shouldn't need a whole lot more than 90 degrees of knee flexion (bend). As a PT myself, you should be at 100+ within a couple weeks after surgery. The usual standard goal is 120 degrees by 5-6 weeks. So I would say you should be fine if you have a couple months. It's not typical for it to take months for the flexibility to improve.

I've read that for this ride you sit on something tricky- does the tricky part include a tough knee position?
I was concerned about this, I have knee arthritis and I was concerned there. I didn’t want the back thing to make me feel confined as I can get claustrophobic, etc. I never noticed a single discomfort. It was fine and the ride is incredible!

Anything imparticular you are concerned about?

You shouldn't need a whole lot more than 90 degrees of knee flexion (bend). As a PT myself, you should be at 100+ within a couple weeks after surgery. The usual standard goal is 120 degrees by 5-6 weeks. So I would say you should be fine if you have a couple months. It's not typical for it to take months for the flexibility to improve.
Thanks- I'm hoping to be fine! During every exercise I am thinking positive Disney thoughts. Its been two weeks and a rough two weeks...

I would secure a FOP fastpass if you can, then modify and change it if you find out you won't be able to ride. FOP is pretty hard to get as a FP, while it would be much easier to change it around.

My son is 6'4", but that wasn't what stopped him. He's had knee surgery and couldn't get it to bend enough, so he had to exit.
Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter