FOP with a bad back?

lunaland

Mouseketeer
We will be making our second trip to AK since Pandora opened in early Dec. On our first trip we booked last minute and didn't get a fast pass for FOP. We rope dropped, but the line was already hours long so we passed. Now, we are heading back and hopeful that we will be able to get on. However, I have 2 concerns: first, I'm obese. This is simple, as I'll either fit or I won't. I've already instructed my family to enjoy the ride without me if I don't fit and meet me in the gift shop.

The bigger issue is I have an old back injury to my lower back that causes extreme sensitivity to the area. I know there is some type of a restraint that goes on your back. Is it pushing against you firmly? Does it at any point have any sudden pressure or movement that is felt from that restraint?

For reference, I am a DLR regular who enjoys all of the rides at both parks pain free except the Matterhorn and Goofy's Sky School. Indy can be rough if I'm having a bad day. Otherwise, no issues. Likewise, I've been on most WDW and DLRP rides without issue.

Thanks for any input!

Yes, usually it is pretty firm, and when they "lock" it in there is a pressure forward that I would call "sudden" at least from my experience. The ride vehicle is unlike other ride systems, so it's hard to find a comparison. I don't think you'd have any trouble with the movement, it would be that back restraint. I believe there is still a test vehicle you can try out before getting in line.

Yes, usually it is pretty firm, and when they "lock" it in there is a pressure forward that I would call "sudden" at least from my experience. The ride vehicle is unlike other ride systems, so it's hard to find a comparison. I don't think you'd have any trouble with the movement, it would be that back restraint. I believe there is still a test vehicle you can try out before getting in line.
Thank you so much I didn't know there was a test vehicle! That should make it pretty clear if I need to bother standing in line.

I haven't been since covid, so hopefully someone who has can will chime in and let everyone know if the test vehicle is still accessible, I don't know why it wouldn't be.

I have lower back issues and I have been ok. When they lock you in the seat it is very firm pressure on your back which remains that way through the ride. I don't remember and additional impacts to my back. For me it makes me sit very upright which isn't always the most comfortable for my back.

I don’t believe the test vehicle had all of the restraints like the ride but could be wrong it was 3 years ago. I am slightly overweight and short and I do not recall feeling pressure on my back I remember restraints around my legs and arms but did not feel much pressure there either. I watched a video on You Tube before we went and it gave an idea of what the vehicle looks like and how the restraints go so I had an idea of what to expect and it might help you as well.

The best advice is I always talk to my doctor and make a choice that he confirms. That said - for me/my personal experience, I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back (degenerative discs since I was in my 20s - one surgery and history of injections). I rode FOP without issue, There was definitely firm pressure from the equipment, but more important for me was just bracing myself. It was very smooth ride, not jerky at all - so just tightening my core, and I had zero issues. Definitely my favorite ride at WDW. I hope it works for you to ride - be safe!

We will be making our second trip to AK since Pandora opened in early Dec. On our first trip we booked last minute and didn't get a fast pass for FOP. We rope dropped, but the line was already hours long so we passed. Now, we are heading back and hopeful that we will be able to get on. However, I have 2 concerns: first, I'm obese. This is simple, as I'll either fit or I won't. I've already instructed my family to enjoy the ride without me if I don't fit and meet me in the gift shop.

The bigger issue is I have an old back injury to my lower back that causes extreme sensitivity to the area. I know there is some type of a restraint that goes on your back. Is it pushing against you firmly? Does it at any point have any sudden pressure or movement that is felt from that restraint?

For reference, I am a DLR regular who enjoys all of the rides at both parks pain free except the Matterhorn and Goofy's Sky School. Indy can be rough if I'm having a bad day. Otherwise, no issues. Likewise, I've been on most WDW and DLRP rides without issue.

Thanks for any input!
I was borderline to ride FoP and when I loaded up, the CM pushed really hard on the back restraint and it hurt and I don't have back issues. This happened every time I rode it. So if you have a sensitivity, I would not do it. I am hoping the 34lb weight loss I have had will help this now.

I wouldn't, if I were you. I'm 6 feet tall, 180 pounds (so not obese). That back restraint slams on you. And for someone who is overweight, they will have to force it on you. If you really want to do it, maybe taking some tylenol beforehand would help. But, it's a very smooth ride.

Sounds like it may depend on the type of pain you have and your body size. I am 5' 4" and was probably about 125 pounds when I rode, so that may have impacted how much pressure I did or did not feel from the restraints. The ride itself was easy to control back issues with bracing my core.

In general - FOP is a "smooth" ride - it's not jerky and not full of sudden shifts - so I think given you can ride Indy - you will be okay on the ride - IF the vehicle position doesn't cause you discomfort in the first place. I'm definitely overweight - but I'm not quite Pooh-sized (and I'm 5'9 with some lower back problems myself). I have never had any problems with the back restraint at all. It just comes up and then the CM checks it. You can feel it on your back - its firmly there - but it doesn't cause me pain. If it does cause you pain - speak up loudly and quickly before the ride starts - and the CM can help you exit the ride instead (maybe don't be the last seat in the room so you have a second). The CM's do act quickly - they check the last person and quickly signal they are set to start - so its not like you have more than a second or two to say something.

Had that happen once to me - a younger kid just freaked out when the restraints happened and mom spoke up - and the CM just released everyone, let them go, and then we all were reset.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back and have no problems. The restraint isn't that tight in my opinion and actually gives good stability. The ride motion is gentle so that shouldn't be a concern.

I forgot about the back support on FOP, but to be fair I only rode it once back in 2017. Hoping to ride it several times on this upcoming trip!!

I also have a herniated disc in my lower back but have had no problems with FoP. I could name a half dozen rides that hurt my back worse, although none are deal breakers. The back rest is well padded.

I've had 2 back surgeries and no problems on FOP - it's a smooth ride. The back support is really there to make sure you are hard up against the front restraint so you get the full experience.

Is your only concern the ride itself will be extremely uncomfortable or that the ride will *flare* up your back issues for the rest of the trip?
Maybe plan on doing AK at the end of your stay so if it does *flare* up, it won't ruin the rest of the trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter