FOP worries

jeanico2000

DIS Veteran
Travelling with DH and DD who never get sick on anything, but I felt really nauseous on Forbidden Journey at Universal and am really worried about riding FOP. I read they blow wind in your face, which will help for sure, but how does it compare to Forbidden Journey motion wise? Anyone here done both and can offer up a comparison? Thank you!

HATE Forbidden Journey, made me sick each time I tried. Couple weeks ago I sat out and held everyone's bags. Not going again.

FoP, I love it (and I have vertigo). Smooth transitions, no nauseous. My hint is make sure you move your whole head to where you are looking so you follow the film. Don't just lock your head and move just your eyes. The movement of the vehicle and floor are timed very well to the film, very smooth. Nothing like FJ.

Yeah, no motion sickness at all on Flight of Passage. And I often feel icky on Star Tours, definitely on the HP rides. If you are at all worried, you can take dramamine or ginger capsules before getting in line. But I would say you are going to be fine!

If you consider the science of motion sickness-it is when the motion you are experiencing doesn't jibe with what your brain is seeing. For Flight of Passage though, I feel like the seats do move just enough (not too much to be scary or anything like that) to make it feel like you are really riding the banshee and experiencing what is on screen.

HATE Forbidden Journey, made me sick each time I tried. Couple weeks ago I sat out and held everyone's bags. Not going again.

FoP, I love it (and I have vertigo). Smooth transitions, no nauseous. My hint is make sure you move your whole head to where you are looking so you follow the film. Don't just lock your head and move just your eyes. The movement of the vehicle and floor are timed very well to the film, very smooth. Nothing like FJ.

Thank goodness, I'll never do FJ again either. It's the only thing in my life of theme parks (including coasters) that made me sick, in fact so sick I couldn't enjoy anything for hours after. People were coming out of there green.

Thank goodness, I'll never do FJ again either. It's the only thing in my life of theme parks (including coasters) that made me sick, in fact so sick I couldn't enjoy anything for hours after. People were coming out of there green.

Me too. That and Mission: Space. Ruins a day really quick.

What I remember of my one and done ride on FJ was how much it very harshly jerked me around all over the place. I was afraid I might get whiplash. Spider-Man, was not like this, and I would ride that again no problem. So, in your experience with FoP, does it jerk you around as violently as FJ? I'm trying to decide if I should ride FoP.

It does not jerk you around violently at all. I also have some issues with simulators, and Forbidden Jr was bad for me, as was Men in Black, believe it or not. I have slight reaction to Star Tours, but it is ridable for me. FoP was actually even better to me, the 2nd time I rode, less worried about a reaction, perhaps.

What I remember of my one and done ride on FJ was how much it very harshly jerked me around all over the place. I was afraid I might get whiplash. Spider-Man, was not like this, and I would ride that again no problem. So, in your experience with FoP, does it jerk you around as violently as FJ? I'm trying to decide if I should ride FoP.

NO, no comparison. FJ, awful about whipping you around while your innards slosh all over. Spiderman is a slight shift of direction but fairly smooth. FoP is neither ... have you ever sat on the motorcycles at the arcades, they lean left and right. And then the floor moves and tilts to keep you in sync with the movie but unless you look at it you aren't feeling it because everything is so smooth. You just become part of the movie.

NO, no comparison. FJ, awful about whipping you around while your innards slosh all over. Spiderman is a slight shift of direction but fairly smooth. FoP is neither ... have you ever sat on the motorcycles at the arcades, they lean left and right. And then the floor moves and tilts to keep you in sync with the movie but unless you look at it you aren't feeling it because everything is so smooth. You just become part of the movie.
Thank you so much for this description! Now I'm excited to try for a Fastpass+ For FoP when my widow opens up next week!

It does not jerk you around violently at all. I also have some issues with simulators, and Forbidden Jr was bad for me, as was Men in Black, believe it or not. I have slight reaction to Star Tours, but it is ridable for me. FoP was actually even better to me, the 2nd time I rode, less worried about a reaction, perhaps.
Thanks for your description. Now I can't wait to try it out in January!

Yeah, no motion sickness at all on Flight of Passage. And I often feel icky on Star Tours

In October I felt BAD after Star Tours. I did FOP twice in a row due to child swap and felt FINE. FOP is the most incredible attraction I have experienced anywhere. Disney has topped it again. Also some people compare FOP to Soarin--not in the same ball game. Soarin is beautiful, and I do it every time, but it scares the tar out of me. I hook up the child safety strap between my legs--it will fit--I am 250# and have done it at 260. I hold on tight with both hands. I still am a little scared I'm going to fall out of the seat when it moves around. FOP is no problem. I am not at all worried I'm going to fall from FOP. If I did its no big deal because you're not that far off the ground. You are also strapped in really well. I can't encourage you enough to try FOP. I actually have three FP for it on different days this trip.

On a related matter, I made the FP for this trip about a month before the last one. After what Star Tours did to me last time, I was a little nervous about Mission Space. I actually rode it today and was crazy enough to do orange. I can honestly and truthfully say that Star Tours makes me feel worse than Mission Space Orange. I probably will ride green sometime because I want to see the Earth mission, but I can still handle the orange. I follow the instructions, keep my head back, eyes open, breathe slowly and deeply, and its fine. Wonder what I did wrong with Star Tours?

On a related matter, I made the FP for this trip about a month before the last one. After what Star Tours did to me last time, I was a little nervous about Mission Space. I actually rode it today and was crazy enough to do orange. I can honestly and truthfully say that Star Tours makes me feel worse than Mission Space Orange. I probably will ride green sometime because I want to see the Earth mission, but I can still handle the orange. I follow the instructions, keep my head back, eyes open, breathe slowly and deeply, and its fine. Wonder what I did wrong with Star Tours?
You know, it was the same with me! I wanted to try out Mission Space orange but was worried about motion sickness so packed Dramamine. But the line was so short I forgot to take it and made sure I knew where all the bags were located! But I didn’t feel bad at all! And even better-I got the Engineer position, and that is my job in real life! But Star Tours still makes me feel sick, no matter if I do it on an empty stomach, after taking Dramamine, after drinking sprite, on a full stomach, etc!

I have a pretty solid constitution. No problems at any ride in WDW (Star Tours, TOT, EE, Mission: SPACE Orange, RNRC, Teacups (!), etc).... except FOP for whatever reason. I rode it three times over the weekend and each time I had a few minutes of wooziness. First two times it started immediately after the ride ended and cleared by the time we were on the steps to Windtalkers. The third time it was actually on the ride ... I had to close my eyes for a few seconds two or three times to eliminate whatever motion/visuals disconnect was causing the issue.

Unlike Star Tours or Mission: SPACE, I think closing your eyes helps since you are not really going through any bigger physical motion than, say, bouncing on a trampoline. It feels a lot different when you are looking at the screen but if you look behind you during the flight the actual motion is apparent and a lot less than you think.

Today I road Flight of Passage for the first time! AWSOME!
Thanks so much for helping me decide to ride it! I rope dropped it and was off the ride at exactly 9am! (Park opening was nine this morning and no extra magic hour.) Terrific advice you gave me!

I get motion sick pretty easily. I take Bonine starting a couple days before any trip (to USF, a cruise, WDW...even just for flying in a plane). I don't ride anything that just goes around and around (Tea Cups, Magic Carpets, Dumbo, Carousel, Primeval Hurl...)

Here is my rank of the rides that give me some motion sickness.
Slight motion sickness (could ride twice in one day at most): BTMRR, Space, EE.
Moderate Motion Sickness (ride once per trip at most): RnRC, ToT, Gringotts, Star Tours, FOP )
Severe Motion Sickness (not worth it to ride): Forbidden Journey, MS Orange.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter