"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

It does look like a neat place, from the road. I guess something about it just didn't feel right to me.
There is another person I know and he had a bad experience in that same area. He won't be stopping there anytime soon either.

Previous comments about South of the Border remind us that on our 40+ drives to WDW via I-95 we have never seen that place even partially full, yet new South of the Border billboards punctuate the interstate. Where does that place get the money to remain open? :confused3

All the best! :thumbsup2

I75 vs I95 from Cincinnati. Usually drive I75 but debating on 95 this trip.would be 75 through Knoxville then over to 95. How is the traffic, scenery, rest stops, hotels? Best place to stay for the night? Pro's/cons?

Big advantage with the 95 route: No Atlanta.

We're also from the Cincinnati area. We usually take 75, but we've taken the 95 route a few times.

Jacksonville is the only major city along the 95 route, and we always seemed to hit it during the wee hours of the morning. So I can't vouch for traffic.

Knoxville to Asheville is a pretty drive through the mountains. However, it's a bit more winding than 75 in North TN.

I-26 in NC, just into SC is forest and a nice drive. However, the further you get into SC, the more boring it gets.

I-95 itself is also boring. Sorta like South GA on 75.

Can't help you with lodging going down. We've never taken it going, only coming home. We always stayed outside Knoxville.

Periodically, the all-time driving records are updated. See page #1, post #1 to assess your status!

For those folks driving a long distance to WDW, remember: this is the place to ask questions, provide information and share experiences on the road.

We are driving from top of NJ mid Aug. Plan is to make it to Jacksonville and stay over. Husband is meeting us there as he could not get the day off, so if flying after work. Still undecided between the 95 route or the inland route (only learned of that through the thread). Our plan is setting off at 5am.

We are driving from top of NJ mid Aug. Plan is to make it to Jacksonville and stay over. Husband is meeting us there as he could not get the day off, so if flying after work. Still undecided between the 95 route or the inland route (only learned of that through the thread). Our plan is setting off at 5am.

You should be hitting the end of the greater DC rush hour by the time you get to southern MD-northern VA, if you go via 1-95.

Consider the inland route if you are close to I-80; consider the I-95 route if you're nearer the NJ Turnpike (but you'll have some rush hour NJ traffic at your planned departure time).

You should be hitting the end of the greater DC rush hour by the time you get to southern MD-northern VA, if you go via 1-95.

Consider the inland route if you are close to I-80; consider the I-95 route if you're nearer the NJ Turnpike (but you'll have some rush hour NJ traffic at your planned departure time).

Thanks for the reply. We are only 15 minutes from Rt 80, so inland route it is! Looking forward to driving as all our trips the last 12 years have been long haul flights from the UK.

Making the trek from NJ. Leaving Friday 7pm. Anything along I95 I should avoid? Construction, bottle necks etc...

Making the trek from NJ. Leaving Friday 7pm. Anything along I95 I should avoid? Construction, bottle necks etc...

Not sure of when you will be stopping, I say as long as you get past Richmond before rush hr. everything else should be a breeze. Saturday traffic through Jacksonville should not be that bad, and that is what I would do, is go through instead of around Jacksonville.

Echoing snowmedic's useful comments, you should make it to VA in 4 hours (from south NJ) or 5 hours (from north NJ). And passing Richmond before rush hour will not be a problem, unless you make a lengthy stop prior to reaching that area.

Also, there was standstill traffic on I-95 at Lake Marion, SC today (around mm 100). Keep updated by using the Waze app.

Please keep us posted on your journey (departure time, times crossing state borders, significant delays, etc.). Safe travels!

Slow go near New Castle De (paving). Otherwise lots of cars on the road but moving. Very lite south of DC. Left Toms River at 9:30. We are in SC 78 miles north of Savannah Ga.(8:00am) Due in the world around 1:30

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter