"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Greetings from! the Poly!
Uneventful driving from the Jersey Shore a few days ago. The 1:20 p.m, departure was the key to our "success!"
All the best! :thumbsup2

Have a good trip! I am assuming that was supposed to say a 1:20 AM departure, otherwise you would have been in DC at a bad time on a weekday! Unless you found some secret route you are not sharing?!?!?!

Have a good trip! I am assuming that was supposed to say a 1:20 AM departure, otherwise you would have been in DC at a bad time on a weekday! Unless you found some secret route you are not sharing?!?!?!

Yup! 1:20 AM!!! :crazy2:

The founder of this thread and his wife just bought a house in FL, about 1 hour northwest of WDW. It appears that our ongoing 2,000+ mile round trips will be coming to an end next year. However, we plan on driving back to NJ each summer, so we will always be a part of this thread...and the wonderful folks who have made it one of the DISBoards most important locations!

The founder of this thread and his wife just bought a house in FL, about 1 hour northwest of WDW. It appears that our ongoing 2,000+ mile round trips will be coming to an end next year. However, we plan on driving back to NJ each summer, so we will always be a part of this thread...and the wonderful folks who have made it one of the DISBoards most important locations!

Congrats!

Congratulations!! That is so fantastic. Good for you!

Thats wonderful. Congratulations on your new home. New Jersey will miss you.

As

As a former NJ exit 67 resident, I wish you the best. I guess your WDW trip frequency may skyrocket, albeit with much shorter drive times!

Congratulations. :)

Hopefully you'll still be posting stats on your 2,000+ Mile Round Trips from WDW to NJ.

Last edited:
Exit 67? That's our exit!

We appreciate the kind and generous comments made by you and others!

Yes we had conversed about that one time years ago, how it was coincidentally exit 67 in NJ and in FL! I am further south now too, but still in NJ, so no where near as much further south as you will soon be!

I'm very happy for you! I will miss your trips...I've always traveled with you in my mind!

Congratulations!! NJ's loss FL gain!

I am live en route! Left nj at 5AM drove 8 hours and took a break in NC. We will hit the road bright and early tomorrow.

Road updates(I81) was smooth sailing heavy police in VA(cheap gas FYI) and NC. Kept seeing construction signs but never hit any delays. So far so good.

Unfortunately, I booked what I thought was the same hotel as last time and it's not..... but still ok.

Wow, congratulations to you both!

That's my dream one day too.

Does driving during the week get less traffic than driving during the weekend?

We drove to Orlando last year in early August. Left at 7am on a Saturday and got tons of traffic along the way...
However, last week, we too drove down to Orlando, but left on a Tuesday at 6am.. smooth all the way on I-95 to Savanna GA where we stayed for the night.. The only hiccup was the road construction near Emporia VA where one lane was closed.. That hiccup took us 1 hour..

Next time (I don't know when) we are gonna drive straight through without the overnight stay in GA.

Drive #46 Report:

Departed the Jersey Shore on Thursday, Aug. 3 at 1:20 a.m.
DE: 2:45 a.m.
MD: 3:02 a.m.
VA: 4:48 a.m. (1-hour nap/rest at VA Welcome Center)
NC: 8:43 a.m. (1 hour nap/rest at rest stop)
SC: 12:28 p.m.
GA: 3:25 p.m.
FL: 5:18 p.m. (stayed over night in Palm Coast, arriving at 7:05 p.m.)
One-day stay at another central FL location before arriving at Lake Buena Vista on Saturday, August 4.

We experienced no heavy traffic and did not go on I-4 when we went to our other location (a house hunting journey). Driving very early in the morning on a weekday helped.

The return home was another story:

Departed WDW on Friday, August 11 at 9:02 a.m.
GA: 12:33 p.m.
SC: 2:22 p.m.
NC: 5:20 p.m.
VA: 8:04 p.m. (stayed over night in Petersburg, but a giant two-lanes-to-one-lane shift because of construction just four miles from our exit delayed our arrival about 20 minutes).

On Saturday, we departed Petersburg (cheapest gas at $2.05!) at 9:27 a.m. and experienced stop-and-go traffic for over 25 miles starting around Frederickburg. Brutal. Some similar slow downs in MD and DE (which increased our drive time to over an hour and a half). We reached NJ at 2:50 p.m. and had no traffic problems the rest of the way.

Our next scheduled WDW drive is in late October, but we might be FL residents by then. Stay tuned!

Drive #46 Report:

Departed the Jersey Shore on Thursday, Aug. 3 at 1:20 a.m.
DE: 2:45 a.m.
MD: 3:02 a.m.
VA: 4:48 a.m. (1-hour nap/rest at VA Welcome Center)
NC: 8:43 a.m. (1 hour nap/rest at rest stop)
SC: 12:28 p.m.
GA: 3:25 p.m.
FL: 5:18 p.m. (stayed over night in Palm Coast, arriving at 7:05 p.m.)

Thank you for sharing your time stamps.
How did you prep yourself, physically, for the drive?? We always leave around 6-7am. My husband and I could never get a good night sleep prior to leaving.

yaya 74: No special sleeping prep for the drive, since I don't sleep well before a drive. For us, it was better to get an early head start on the drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!