"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

So when did they get rid of the free OJ at the Florida Welcome Center? That was a surprise. And you could tell others were walking in expecting it to be there, too.

So when did they get rid of the free OJ at the Florida Welcome Center? That was a surprise. And you could tell others were walking in expecting it to be there, too.

NO!!!!!! That's one of the last items we "check off" on our list of landmarks on the way to Disney. No OJ?????? That's devastating! I better warn the family now even though we won't be there for another 10 months -- it might take them that long to get over it! I don't suppose there was any possibility that it was just a temporary thing...remodeling the counter/dispenser area or something?????

They had it when we went through on June 14th! If it’s true it’s a bummer. Hopefully they were just out or had staffing issues or something.

They had it when we went through on June 14th! If it’s true it’s a bummer. Hopefully they were just out or had staffing issues or something.
No, it's gone. The whole counter where it used to be has been remodeled and is now a big ad for fishing in Florida with a small boat, netting, fishing gear, etc. It doesn't look like they're planning on the juice coming back.

No, it's gone. The whole counter where it used to be has been remodeled and is now a big ad for fishing in Florida with a small boat, netting, fishing gear, etc. It doesn't look like they're planning on the juice coming back.
Wow! That’s actually a big deal! They’ve been doing it for at least 35 yrs, because we drove down every year when I was growing up and we always stopped and got some when we hit the Florida line during business hours. I know it saves money, but I wonder why they stopped? I’m sure many many people stopped to get it, and it was good advertisement and a nice gesture for incoming tourists. Seems petty to stop. But what do I know.

I can’t seem to find any mention of it online but I promise it isn’t there.

They also took down the blue Welcome to Florida sign. The big arch one is still there.

The absolute best place to stay in Fort Walton Beach area is the Hilton Garden Inn or the Holiday Inn . They are almost connected and great rooms overlooking pool and sandy beach . Really love both . Take a look at the pictures on the websites for the hotels with their private sidewalks to the beach.

Last edited:
I can’t seem to find any mention of it online but I promise it isn’t there.

They also took down the blue Welcome to Florida sign. The big arch one is still there.
My guess it’s part of the state of Florida’s, visit Florida 26 million dollar budget cut.
There was a rumor floating around they were going to close a welcome center somewhere up in the pan handle. Back in May they laid off 44 workers. It was in The Orlando Sentinel. No mention of what exactly was going but I guess now we know what went first.

Last edited:
Wow! That’s actually a big deal! They’ve been doing it for at least 35 yrs, because we drove down every year when I was growing up and we always stopped and got some when we hit the Florida line during business hours. I know it saves money, but I wonder why they stopped? I’m sure many many people stopped to get it, and it was good advertisement and a nice gesture for incoming tourists. Seems petty to stop. But what do I know.
I remember it from my first trip to FL in the early sixties, so it has been much more than 35 years. Sad that they would end what is a family tradition for many.

VisitFlorida.com still mentions the free orange juice.

https://www.visitflorida.com/test-approval-flow-4/en-us/visitor-services/florida-welcome-centers.html

Our first family trip to Florida was over 55 years ago. And I still remember the free orange juice at the Welcome Center.
Actually the page for that location makes no mention of juice. And it also says to take a photo in front of the Welcome to Florida, the Sunshine State sign which is no longer there.
https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/listing.a0t40000007qvEKAAY.html

Here’s the counter where the juice used to be.

The guy in the blue shirt looked just as confused as I did. He looked all around wondering where the juice went.

Attachments

• 93741D4F-D570-4977-A359-9D96A20E4464.jpeg
    93741D4F-D570-4977-A359-9D96A20E4464.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 37
Actually the page for that location makes no mention of juice. And it also says to take a photo in front of the Welcome to Florida, the Sunshine State sign which is no longer there.
https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/listing.a0t40000007qvEKAAY.html
The sign isn’t there either?!the one that shows in that that thumbnail in the pp? We just got a photo there in June, and my parents always take one there when they drive down yearly. Why would they take it down? Maybe I’m misunderstanding something.

Anyway, it’s not a huge deal, the FL welcome center doesn’t make or break our trip, just disappointing.

The sign isn’t there either?!the one that shows in that that thumbnail in the pp? We just got a photo there in June, and my parents always take one there when they drive down yearly. Why would they take it down? Maybe I’m misunderstanding something.

Anyway, it’s not a huge deal, the FL welcome center doesn’t make or break our trip, just disappointing.
Yes, the blue sign is gone. There is still the arch that looks like the one when you cross the border.

I can't believe this! Our family is super disappointed as we always take a picture and get OJ every drive down!

Sad news! We always looked forward to this stop too. Oh well, I suppose we'll scratch the FL Welcome Center off our list, we'll just head straight to the first Dunkin Donuts. :car:

Sad news! We always looked forward to this stop too. Oh well, I suppose we'll scratch the FL Welcome Center off our list, we'll just head straight to the first Dunkin Donuts. :car:
Really the only thing there now is the Florida arch sign (the one that looks like the one on the highway). We did take our picture in front of that. Had we known, though, we wouldn't have bothered stopping. We stopped for lunch no long after so wouldn't have wasted the time.

Since I have visions of arriving at Disney with our SUV covered in bugs from the road trip, would anyone happen to know of a car wash near Disney property?

Since I have visions of arriving at Disney with our SUV covered in bugs from the road trip, would anyone happen to know of a car wash near Disney property?
I use the car wash at the Speedway gas station next to the Boardwalk. I also bring windex, tire shine and two towels. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!