"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

I use the car wash at the Speedway gas station next to the Boardwalk. I also bring windex, tire shine and two towels. Lol.
I am going to head straight to this car wash before we check in.
Thanks for the car supplies tip, I will put them in a big ziplock, and tuck them under the passenger seat!

Last edited:
I am going to head straight to this car wash before we check in.
Thanks for the car supplies tip, I will put them in a big ziplock, and tuck them under the passenger seat!
Exactly what I do. When I was 16, ( a long time ago lol ) I was driving down to the Jersey shore and passed a truck. The truck was blowing oil out of its exhaust! All over the car and windshield. Yup, never attempt to get oil off a windshield with the wiper fluid and the wipers while driving.
Ever since then I don’t leave home without paper towels and a full bottle of windex.
I’m the same way, I can’t sleep knowing my car is baking in the Florida sun all day covered in every bug from Pa to Orlando. Lol

This Sunday, another fatal crash on I-4. Near MM 109.

Flooding on newly constructed sections of I-4 require your attention.

All the best! :thumbsup2
That is the area a few years ago when we drove down ahead of Irma that was flooded real bad. Luckily it was about 2am on a Saturday morning and there was nobody heading into Florida but the electric trucks.
A Floridia down pour started and I dropped from 75mph to 40mph. At one point I started to hydroplane. I went down to about 25mph to keep my tires on the road. Felt like it lasted for an hour but it only poured for about ten minutes tops.
I couldn't imagine hitting that area during peak times.

This Sunday, another fatal crash on I-4. Near MM 109.

Flooding on newly constructed sections of I-4 require your attention.

All the best! :thumbsup2

So sad about the crash. Yikes, I-4 certainly has it's challenges, :scared1: think we'll have to hang out in the slow lane. We will be heading out this Saturday from MA, staying in VA and GA on the way down. We will be joining the Orlando commuters on I-4 at some point on Monday morning. After watching the Weather Channel this morning, I am somewhat concerned about a system moving into the pan handle that could impact south GA Sunday evening into Monday. Hoping we won't have to spend an extra night at the Hampton Inn in GA, but if the roads are bad we may have no choice . UGH!

Last edited:

So sad about the crash. Yikes, I-4 certainly has it's challenges, :scared1: think we'll have to hang out in the slow lane. We will be heading out this Saturday from MA, staying in VA and GA on the way down. We will be joining the Orlando commuters on I-4 at some point on Monday morning. After watching the Weather Channel this morning, I am somewhat concerned about a system moving into the pan handle that could impact south GA Sunday evening into Monday. Hoping we won't have to spend an extra night at the Hampton Inn in GA, but if the roads are bad we may have no choice . UGH!
Have you considered taking 417? Yes it is a toll road but I'm willing to pay to avoid I-4.

Have you considered taking 417? Yes it is a toll road but I'm willing to pay to avoid I-4.
If you have an IPhone, I use this AP a lot of time for reference. They have Orlando traffic cams, WDW, Disney cruise line ports of call and other cams. It's pretty cool. The one camera is directly across from the Amway center, as of now, the east bound lanes are crawling and the west bound side is moving pretty good. They have 417, turnpike cams etc. Check it out.

Attachments

• IMG_5890.PNG
    IMG_5890.PNG
    214.1 KB · Views: 5

We have never used 417, but I would certainly consider it if we can avoid the floods on I-4. Thanks for the suggestion, I would be happy to pay the tolls for an easier ride!

If you have an IPhone, I use this AP a lot of time for reference. They have Orlando traffic cams, WDW, Disney cruise line ports of call and other cams. It's pretty cool. The one camera is directly across from the Amway center, as of now, the east bound lanes are crawling and the west bound side is moving pretty good. They have 417, turnpike cams etc. Check it out.

Thank you. I do have an I IPhone, and I will get this DCL APP on my phone tonight. Awesome!

We started using 417 a few years back. We got SunPass transponders at the welcome center for both cars. It’s well worth it.
Well we may have a reason to stop at the Florida welcome center, we were going to drive by since I heard they did away with the juice. I am not familiar with the SunPass, do you have to set up an online account in order to activate the transponder?

Well we may have a reason to stop at the Florida welcome center, we were going to drive by since I heard they did away with the juice. I am not familiar with the SunPass, do you have to set up an online account in order to activate the transponder?
It's easy. You go on line, or phone AP, open an account, put money on your account via credit card, enter your plate numbers and your good to go.
Even if you don't have one, they will send you a bill. Lol
Sunpass is good in North Carolina and Georgia. I may be using it near Charlotte
In the express lanes. You can also order the transponder on line but you leave in five days.
I've had one for a few years and haven't had to use it but it hangs on the windshield just in case.
They are supposedly working on getting all these transponders tied into one system but still haven't gotten there.
If I'm not mistaken, not sure if it's still the same way but Florida has three different toll paying systems. I drive the same way to the same cities every time so I don't run into it.

It's easy. You go on line, or phone AP, open an account, put money on your account via credit card, enter your plate numbers and your good to go.
Even if you don't have one, they will send you a bill. Lol
Sunpass is good in North Carolina and Georgia. I may be using it near Charlotte
In the express lanes. You can also order the transponder on line but you leave in five days.
I've had one for a few years and haven't had to use it but it hangs on the windshield just in case.
They are supposedly working on getting all these transponders tied into one system but still haven't gotten there.
If I'm not mistaken, not sure if it's still the same way but Florida has three different toll paying systems. I drive the same way to the same cities every time so I don't run into it.

Thanks so much for all of the SunPass details, so helpful! :) I'm signing up tonight!!!

I am totally sold on 417, especially after seeing the floods in Orlando on the weather channel today. :eek: I've already informed DH ( he who has never ventured ventured away from I-4), we will be trying out a new route this year!
It's a nice ride, especially with Sunpass. I don't think I'd do it without that. With Sunpass, you don't stop for any tolls. It's all high speed capture in the regular lanes.

417 is awesome! Even better when you have a sun pass! 👍

We've been using 417 since it opened, amazing to see how much busier and how chewed up the road has become plus so much more traffic. But it's so easy vs. I-4, I can't remember the last time we stayed on I-4 past Sanford, seems like at least 10 years.

We save all our change between trips. We go in the express exact change lanes on 417. It's fun to get rid of all the nickels and dimes lol. But we are considering getting the SunPass at the welcome center this trip, just to be easy.

Hi everyone, long time since I've been on here but nice to see some familiar names/faces! We are taking a long trip this December, first one in a long time. DD going off to college so just 3 of us with no time restrictions so we're going to enjoy the holidays and some free dining along the way. Plus staying at 3 different resorts - free dining for 5 days at the Fort, then renting points 2 nts at SSR and 3 at BWV.

Well, the bad news is according to the weather report it looks like we'll be pretty much rowing down I-95 south this weekend. UGH! It's gonna be a long trip. :crazy2: :umbrella:
The good news is the torrential rain will wash the bugs off the car. LOL!
The 'Great Disney Roadtrip' from MA begins tomorrow morning at 5:00 am. First night is in the great state of VA, second night in the great state of GA. Should arrive on Disney property Monday morning. Can't wait to try out 417 for the first time, I really appreciate all the great advice! :drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter