"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Getting ready for drive 9 in six years 12th overall. Leaving on 11/6 from NJ. Catching the first Cape May ferry then on to the Bridge Tunnel. Stopping over in southern GA. 3 Days in Vero Beach & 8 at BWVs.

Getting ready for drive 9 in six years 12th overall. Leaving on 11/6 from NJ. Catching the first Cape May ferry then on to the Bridge Tunnel. Stopping over in southern GA. 3 Days in Vero Beach & 8 at BWVs.

Looks like you'll be joining the Jersey Week crowd. Drive safely, especially on the problematic I-4.

All the best! :thumbsup2

It will interesting to see if anyone will be driving to or from WDW on Dec. 6, which is the 12th anniversary of this forum's site. [see all-time records on page 1]

Seeing this pop up on my watched list reminded me to post that my parents drove down a few weeks ago and the usual
welcome to Florida sign was still at the Florida welcome center, they took their traditional photo in front of it. The blue one that says Welcome to Florida the Sunshine State. There wasn’t any orange juice, though.

Seeing this pop up on my watched list reminded me to post that my parents drove down a few weeks ago and the usual
welcome to Florida sign was still at the Florida welcome center, they took their traditional photo in front of it. The blue one that says Welcome to Florida the Sunshine State. There wasn’t any orange juice, though.
Yes. The blue sign is there. They just moved it to the opposite end.

Yes. The blue sign is there. They just moved it to the opposite end.
A couple of months ago or so were discussing that it was gone- or so I thought. Maybe I misunderstood which sign we were talking about, or some other misunderstanding. They were happy to see it was still there regardless :-) .

A couple of months ago or so were discussing that it was gone- or so I thought. Maybe I misunderstood which sign we were talking about, or some other misunderstanding. They were happy to see it was still there regardless :-) .
Yep. I was the one who said it was gone. I was mistaken. They had just relocated it for some reason.

Yep. I was the one who said it was gone. I was mistaken. They had just relocated it for some reason.
They were happy to see it was still there! I like the new sign better, honestly, it’s just that the old one is good for us for nostalgic purposes. I’m glad they kept both

ETA we’re driving back down the first week of Feb- hope for good weather in PA and WVA!

Not sure how many drives but we'll be driving again next month. It will be myself, my 2 kids(20 year old's, turning 21 on our trip) and my 93 year old father. My father loves to drive and in fact last summer drove cross country by himself. I think though myself and my son will try to do most of the driving. Plan on leaving NJ at 5am the morning of the 19th My father wants to stop and have breakfast which will be a major slow down. I think we'll stop in Columbia MD (exit 41) that way we'll avoid DC traffic. Planning on an overnight in the Savannah area hopefully by 7pm. Next day we'll be checking into OKW and going to Disney Spring to see the premier of the new Star Wars movie!

Not sure how many drives but we'll be driving again next month. It will be myself, my 2 kids(20 year old's, turning 21 on our trip) and my 93 year old father. My father loves to drive and in fact last summer drove cross country by himself. I think though myself and my son will try to do most of the driving. Plan on leaving NJ at 5am the morning of the 19th My father wants to stop and have breakfast which will be a major slow down. I think we'll stop in Columbia MD (exit 41) that way we'll avoid DC traffic. Planning on an overnight in the Savannah area hopefully by 7pm. Next day we'll be checking into OKW and going to Disney Spring to see the premier of the new Star Wars movie!

Remember to be particularly aware when driving on I-4. Lots of construction and lane changes.

We leave on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) from Michigan. This will be our finally drive of the 2010's. We are on drive 51! Also will be our last drive in a minivan, moving up to a full size van before the next baby is due. Lots of work to do this week, but we are all getting excited. Staying in a 2 Bedroom @ AKL.

November trip completed. This was a solo trip so I decided to do it in two legs. On the southbound leg I stopped at the Best Western Plus just off of I95 in Yulee Florida. Northbound I stayed at a Best Western in Virginia Beach Northampton Ave. (about a 3hr drive to the ferry)

Next WDW trip set for the week before Christmas. I will be helping my DD (cast member) move. Same route same hotels. I'm a little apprehensive about driving back home on 12/21-22. Hopefully traffic wont be too crazy.

For those of you that are scratching your heads wondering why I take the ferry-bridge tunnel route. I have a seasonal business (summer) so time is not an issue. I don't want to drive through Baltimore, DC and Richmond during the day. Plus there's a nostalgic feeling for me. I remember taking the ferry and the then new Bridge Tunnel as a 9yo in 1968. My father made a big deal about this "modern marvel". At the time the CBBT was one lane each way. The roads on the north and south ends of the CBBT were mostly 2lanes. These days the roads from Virginia Beach to I95-Emporia Va are much better devided highway with speed limits mostly at 60. If I have a copilot I will still drive overnight I95 the whole way no stop over.

I leave Toms River at 5am to catch the first ferry at 7am. Docking at Lewes Delaware continuing on to I95 Arriving in Yulee at 5:30PM. Early start the next morning. I avoid I4 by taking I95 to 528 on to 417. Routes 528 and 417 both accept ezpass. Customary breakfast at WPE with my DD is a must

Rant:
Does anyone follow the rule "Keep right except to pass"? This is not really an issue south of the SC-Ga line because there are 3 lanes. But in NC and SC where there are only 2 lanes it is. If your in the left lane and your speed matches the car to the right you should be in the right lane in most cases. end of rant

Rant:
Does anyone follow the rule "Keep right except to pass"? This is not really an issue south of the SC-Ga line because there are 3 lanes. But in NC and SC where there are only 2 lanes it is. If your in the left lane and your speed matches the car to the right you should be in the right lane in most cases. end of rant

I haven't found this problem too bad on our drives as far as cars are concerned, but I have noticed that a lot of truck drivers are jerks about it. They stay in the left lane, sometimes matching speed with another semi in the right lane. It's like they are doing it on purpose to mess with everyone else.

My main issue w/ cars on these open expanses is that nobody seems to use cruise control. I set mine at 70 and there is so much inability for people to maintain a constant speed, it drives me up the wall.

Virginia was not kind to us on our drive this year (in August). Terrible traffic southbound and northbound on I-95 throughout basically the entire state. We've never really had any major issues before, but this year was just awful. Next year I am thinking about doing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel as a change of scenery.

For people who have gone that way, how is traffic through Delaware/Maryland? How about through Norfolk and then 58 in Virginia? We typically leave NYC early on Saturday morning (4 AM) and coming home leave Florida around 5-6 AM on Saturday, to give a sense of when we would be passing through these areas each way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!