"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

My main issue w/ cars on these open expanses is that nobody seems to use cruise control.
So true. I set mine and constantly find the car ahead of me slowing down, forcing me to brake or pass them only to have them pass me a few minutes later when they decided to speed up again.

For people who have gone that way, how is traffic through Delaware/Maryland? How about through Norfolk and then 58 in Virginia? We typically leave NYC early on Saturday morning (4 AM) and coming home leave Florida around 5-6 AM on Saturday, to give a sense of when we would be passing through these areas each way.

The roads are generally good. Better the further south you go. There are a handfull of areas where the speed limit drops to 45 for2-3 miles. Northern Delaware can be a traffic nightmare.

We leave on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) from Michigan. This will be our finally drive of the 2010's. We are on drive 51! Also will be our last drive in a minivan, moving up to a full size van before the next baby is due. Lots of work to do this week, but we are all getting excited. Staying in a 2 Bedroom @ AKL.

Your status will be updated on the all-time records (page 1). When was your first drive?

All the best! :thumbsup2

Your status will be updated on the all-time records (page 1). When was your first drive?

My first time driving (riding) was 1986 as a kid with my parents. We drove down atleast 6 times. My Dad bought a DVC membership in the early 90's.
I made another drive in high school for spring break with friends in '99.

The first of our 51 drives in the 2010's was May of 2010, right before our first daughter was born.

My first time driving (riding) was 1986 as a kid with my parents. We drove down atleast 6 times. My Dad bought a DVC membership in the early 90's.
I made another drive in high school for spring break with friends in '99.

The first of our 51 drives in the 2010's was May of 2010, right before our first daughter was born.

Welcome to WDW! Clarification question: your count of 51 includes you as a passenger and a driver?

All the best!

Welcome to WDW! Clarification question: your count of 51 includes you as a passenger and a driver?

All the best!
51 times with me as the driver. AND just me, my wife hates driving so I have done every mile...51 drives since may 2010

We checked into AKL Jambo 2 Bedroom this afternoon. As always its a beautiful resort. We left Michigan at 5:20am Thanksgiving day. Spent 2 nights in Chattanooga, TN. Stayed last night at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, also a very nice resort

51 times with me as the driver. AND just me, my wife hates driving so I have done every mile...51 drives since may 2010

We checked into AKL Jambo 2 Bedroom this afternoon. As always its a beautiful resort. We left Michigan at 5:20am Thanksgiving day. Spent 2 nights in Chattanooga, TN. Stayed last night at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, also a very nice resort

The all-time records have been updated. Check also the "most drives in a decade" record; you probably may qualify.

Great posts ! I've got 6 trips so far... 3×3,600 miles round trips and 3×2,800 miles from Canada. I love being able to explore the US and see the changes in scenery. It is nice to be able to try out new routes and find cool roadside attractions! Hope to be able to add another road trip this summer. 😁 Would love to make it to Disneyland... but at 5,600 miles return... maybe when I am retired!

I hate driving also, just in general, not only related to Disney trips. I would just much rather be the passenger- I can read, use my phone, look around, etc... However, my DH still expects me to drive a lot of the time for shorter trips and around home, and some of the time when we drive to Florida! The nerve lol! I need to talk to your wife and get tips on how to get out of this 😬 🙃!

Virginia was not kind to us on our drive this year (in August). Terrible traffic southbound and northbound on I-95 throughout basically the entire state. We've never really had any major issues before, but this year was just awful. Next year I am thinking about doing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel as a change of scenery.

For people who have gone that way, how is traffic through Delaware/Maryland? How about through Norfolk and then 58 in Virginia? We typically leave NYC early on Saturday morning (4 AM) and coming home leave Florida around 5-6 AM on Saturday, to give a sense of when we would be passing through these areas each way.
Took this route for the first time this past August. Left Long Island around 3:30am on a Monday, Rt 113/13 through DE/MD wasn't bad, you get hung up at some lights, but there wasn't heavy traffic. After the CBBT, 13 to 64 was stop and go, I think the speed limit was 30 or 40mph and people weren't exceeding it. Once we got on rt 58 it was fine, smooth ride until I95. On return trip, we took I95 whole way.
It added at least an hour to my trip, but it felt longer dealing with the lights. I think it was around 12-1pm by the time we got to Emporia, VA. While we didn't hit major traffic, I don't know if I would take it again.

:drive: HAPPY 12TH ANNIVERSARY! :drive:

Twelve years ago, yours truly began the "For 2,000+ Miles Round-Trip Drivers Only!" thread.

Back in 2007, long distance-drives information were either found in separate questions posted to the Transportation forum or were inquiries jumbled up with those who drove less than a day to WDW.

But what about folks who drove more than a 1,000 miles? Did they drive straight through? Did they stay overnight? And where did they stay overnight? What were the best routes? What times on the road were the best? The worst? What areas had rush hour times, and how long did they last? And so many other questions.

Well, here we are. Over 1.5 million views and 16,500 replies. And check out the all-time driving records on page 1.

Ironically, we moved to central Florida in Dec. 2017, and now our drive to WDW is about sixty miles (and our best time is 58 minutes). As such, I am no longer "eligible" to participate on this thread. :upsidedow

Happy Anniversary! :car:

Last edited:
Wow, didn't realize this thread started the same year we made our first drive to WDW. Happy anniversary!

Twelve years ago, yours truly began the "For 2,000+ Miles Round-Trip Drivers Only!" thread.
Ironically, we moved to central Florida in Dec. 2017, and now our drive to WDW is about sixty miles (and our best time is 58 minutes). As such, I am no longer "eligible" to participate on this thread. :upsidedow

I'm with you. Back when you started this we would make the occasional 1500 one way drive. Now we make a 23 mile drive to WDW, my best time is 35 minutes (dang traffic lights).

I'm with you. Back when you started this we would make the occasional 1500 one way drive. Now we make a 23 mile drive to WDW, my best time is 35 minutes (dang traffic lights).

We hope to cross your path at WDW in 2020, "neighbor."

We'll be at Epcot on Tuesday.

Back in 2007, long distance-drives information were either found in separate questions posted to the Transportation forum or were inquiries jumbled up with those who drove less than a day to WDW.

But what about folks who drove more than a 1,000 miles? Did they drive straight through? Did they stay overnight? And where did they stay overnight? What were the best routes? What times on the road were the best? The worst? What areas had rush hour times, and how long did they last? And so many other questions.

Well, here we are. Over 1.5 million views and 16,500 replies. And check out the all-time driving records on page 1.

Congratulations BC!! Can't believe it's been 12 years. Unfortunately it won't be too much longer and I will be unable to participate. 2020 is right around the corner, the year dw and I turn 55. This spring I start getting the house electrical system up to date, I must before it goes on the market. Get the interior painted and see what happens.
But before that, we have some driving to do. Septembers two weeks at the Boardwalk planning is almost done. We will have company for the second week. Yes, she coming back down with us.
But first, we have our 35th wedding anniversary trip in 75 days. Polynesian resort studio for a week. A lot of meals planned, mostly our favorites.
Spending a lot of time in Magic Kingdom and Epcot, were I passed the sickness onto dw some 35 years ago on our honeymoon.
Looking forward to February and the new Mizners. I'm sure we will hook up again for an evening!
Congratulations again !!!!

Congratulations BC!! Can't believe it's been 12 years. Unfortunately it won't be too much longer and I will be unable to participate. 2020 is right around the corner, the year dw and I turn 55. This spring I start getting the house electrical system up to date, I must before it goes on the market. Get the interior painted and see what happens.
But before that, we have some driving to do. Septembers two weeks at the Boardwalk planning is almost done. We will have company for the second week. Yes, she coming back down with us.
But first, we have our 35th wedding anniversary trip in 75 days. Polynesian resort studio for a week. A lot of meals planned, mostly our favorites.
Spending a lot of time in Magic Kingdom and Epcot, were I passed the sickness onto dw some 35 years ago on our honeymoon.
Looking forward to February and the new Mizners. I'm sure we will hook up again for an evening!
Congratulations again !!!!

We are looking forward to your permanent move down here. We may have to start a new thread: "For Former 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Who Moved to Within an Hour's Drive To WDW." There are at least two members of the proposed thread: BC1836 and DVC-Don.

Today, we noticed that Epcot Resorts Blvd. is closed between the TC and the BWI.

Also, regular gas at Disney Speedway near the BWI: $2.43.

We made it back at midnight. Left SSR at 6:17am, arrived back to West Michigan at 12:27.

Another wonderful trip. We typically stay at Disney until mid afternoon (stay one night in a hotel on way home), however for this trip I had to be back to work for meetings. So this was a first for us, and it worked great. No traffic anywhere, made it through Atlanta around lunchtime and through Nasheville before evening rush hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!