For Christmas Week: Moderate or Value Resort

Bete

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking Christmastime is a zoo at Disney. We've taken over 10 trips to Disney and we've never done Christmas. Finally, I'm brave enough to try the holiday week. I want this experience even if I only do it once. Now, I'm scared which resort to pick. I am a penny pinscher to a degree. It has to be a moderate or a value resort.

I'm not into ambiance because we are not in our rooms enough, nor do we use the pool priveleges. I want to concentrate on the parks from sunrise to sundown. We do take an early afternoon nap. We like it to be quiet during that time.

Anyway, I'm thinking All-Stars (value) will be packed during the holiday week. I'm hoping for less people at the moderates. Am I dreaming? Is it just as packed whether it's a moderate or value resort for Christmas and New Year's Eve?

We will just be a couple, no children this time. We like fine dining and this is how we choose to spend our money rather then staying at an elegant resort. I wish we could do both but it's not in our budget. We will be there for 15 days and I don't want to resort hop. If we stay at a value resort there will be more money for better restaurants. Also, does anyone think there are more families with children that would stay at the value resorts then the moderates during the holiday season?

We've never stayed at a value resort, so I can't comment on experience there. But from what I've read on the boards, it's not a bit unusual for families (with children) to choose the value resorts.
We stay at Caribbean Beach usually - at least for the last 3 out of 4 trips. We went one year for Christmas week. The rooms at the CBR are nice size, the largest of the moderates and of course larger than the value. We don't spend a lot of time in our room either and didn't use the pool at all on our holiday trip.
We too had been warned about the crowds. When we arrived, the temp (afternoon) was low 50's. It was a Saturday before Christmas and you wouldn't believe how many people were cutting their trips short and leaving because of the cold. Until the 24th, when the temp went back up and the sun was out all day, we had the run of the parks and often walked on/in attractions with no wait. We live in PA and it was 17 degrees when we left, so 50's was balmy for us!!
We don't do a lot of dining in the fancier restaurants, just isn't something we do at WDW. But then we've never gone for the length of time you're going. Our sons are adults now, so we haven't traveled to WDW with children for quite a few years.
It's my understanding that the value resorts' rooms are smaller, they are just as spread out as CBR, the transportation can be aggravating when the resort is crowded and I suspect it is noisier. The rooms at CBR are quiet once you are inside and we never heard noise from any of the rooms around us. Our last 2 trips we had a corner first floor room.
Sorry to babble. Wish we were going again for Christmas!!:cool:

Wow, tough call. However, consider this. If this is a one time experience to really see what WDW is like for Christmas, be crazy and stay at the WL. Yes, WL is a deluxe resort. However, it is cheaper than the other deluxes and may not be that much more than a moderate. And, BTW, the WL is the most incredible resort at Christmas. The place is so relaxing, comfortable, warm and Christmassy - it is why we own DVC at VWL - so we can stay there the week after Thanksgiving.

Think penny wise, pound foolish. If you spend more on the resort but can swing it, you will have so much more of a magical Christmas experience, IMO. It is only once after all. Isn't is so easy for me to spend your money? Artists Points is a very nice restaurant if you are looking for a fine dining experience.

We did stay at CSR last year after Thanksgiving (when all/most of the WDW decorations were up). It is a beautiful moderate resort. However, there were no Christmas decorations :(. I don't think the value or moderates do all that much decorating. Then we went over to the WL and were immersed in a cozy Christmas atmosphere.

Check out the rates, weigh the pros and cons, and if you stay at the WL I doubt you'll be disappointed.

To answer the question you posed - I'd go moderate over value.

We went 2 years ago Dec. 21-26 and until Christmas day we encountered very light crowds! We went to MK on Christmas day and it was packed!!! So that night we went to Epcot and it looked like a ghost town and several CM's said that's how it is on the holidays!! Anyway, I know that isn't what you asked I just felt compelled to share, I agree with the above posters definitely stay moderate. We stayed at CBR and it was very nice. I don't remember much about decorations but they did put candy-filled stockings on our door on Christmas day!! I think the value resorts will be filled with excited children, and if it's a quiet relaxing time you're after you may not find it there!! If you start your trip on a value season day isn't all of your stay at that price? You can probably get a decent rate at a moderate! I think ours was $119 a night.

We've been to Disney many times now, and we've stayed at a lot of their hotels - from deluxe to moderate to value. We've stayed at the Movies twice now (both times were for the week after Thanksgiving). We really LOVED this hotel! We travel with kids and my 5 yr old was in awe! The first time we were in Love Bug, and this past Nov/Dec, we were in 101 Dalmations. When we were in the Love Bug section, we never even seen any of our "neighbors" or heard them! Our room was very quiet, and it was a short walk to the food court/bus stop. And the price can't be beat (last year, we got $49/night). I think the AllStars have some of the best transportation on the property! The Movies wasn't overly decorated for Christmas - they did have a Christmas tree and the garland, and it was cute. We did go visiting the other hotels, and the Grand Floridian is absolutely beautiful!!! I'd rather spend money on the nicer restaurants. We enjoyed the Concourse Steakhouse and the Grand Floridian Cafe, and breakfast at the Polynesian - tonga toast!!!

The parks are usually very busy on xmas day. The MK will be the busiest and the first to close. I would advice Epcot on xmas day. Select a nice restaurant ahead of time and do a PS as soon as you can.
Xmas Suggestions:
1. You might consider going to the Candlelight processional and I would advice the dinner pkg with reserved seating. This is truly the best show at WDW. The wait time without the pkg usually is atleast and hour or more.
2. Visit the Osbourne Lights. They are truly incredible.
3. Take time to visit the resorts. All are decorated with theming to match their resort. Caroling in the GF lobby every evening is fun.
4. Make your PS for xmas day and xmas eve before you arrive. IF you wait your choices will be very limited, think fast food.

As for resorts I prefer the moderates because they tend to be a little quieter then the values.

Have stayed in POR at Christmas - very nice! There is a beautiful tree in the entrance way of the main building and a fair number of decorations. I agree that some deluxes put up more decorations, however, there is no choice in my mind between a moderate or a value - moderate all the way! Bigger room, more resort amenities, and if you choose POR or POFQ the boat to Downtown Disney. I also echo the other threads - Christmas at Disney is WONDERFUL but VERY PACKED!!! Get your PS's exactly 120 days before your trip! Plan, plan and plan! Get to the parks very early - especially on Christmas Day. MK on Christmas Day around noon was totally bottlenecked! Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter