For the First Time in Forever, we're going to DISNEY WORLD!!!

Princess Kass

Earning my Ears
Hey there, hi there, ho there! My name is Kassidy and I am excited to share my first PTR here on the boards. As the title suggests, this will document my very first trip to WDW! I am a California girl and consider myself a Disneyland local, but I am so ready to discover this whole new WORLD!

A little bit about how this trip came about: we found out that a family member will be playing in a December basketball tournament in Miami. My wheels started turning… and I decided that I couldn’t be in Florida without going to Disney. So after looking at the tournament dates, and the days I could get off work, I picked out 2 days for all 4 parks, and let the fun begin. (Side note: I have planning a trip to WDW since I purchased The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2008, almost 11 years ago. And now here we are!)

Before I get in to our itinerary (and accept any planning advice I can get!), I thought I would give you a little more info about me! I am a 20-year-old college student and cast member in California, and my all-time favorite character is Cinderella. At Disneyland, my favorite rides are Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout, and Radiator Springs Racers. I tried to pick out my favorite Disney snack, but it ended up as a tie between Mickey/ cream cheese pretzels and any kind of ice cream.

In my next post I will give a rough draft of my itinerary so far. Thanks for reading!

:tink:Have a magical day!

Last edited:
The Plan

Without further ado, here is the rough draft of our daily plans. Keep in mind that flights and hotel are not booked yet, but I am aiming to have that taken care of before my 60-day FP+ date. Also, thanks to the recommendation of some lovely people over on the Dining board, I have decided to forego any table service meals in the name of more park time. I am hoping to have a longer, more food-centric trip in the near future. So, with all that being said, please let me know if there are any adjustments that you would make to my plan!

Day 1: Monday

Our travel day will begin as any other day, and I know I will be anxiously waiting to get to the airport for our red-eye flight. I am hoping to book a red-eye to get the most of our two full days at WDW, and also in case I get scheduled this day at work.

Day 2: Tuesday

The plan is to land at MCO sometime early, early, early on Tuesday morning. From there, we will take the Magical Express to our home for the next two nights: Disney’s All Star Resort (actual complex tbd). All we need in the room is a bed, a shower, and a quick breakfast, so this resort fits the bill. I am considering requesting a room close to the bus stop, but we will see. After check-in, storing our luggage, and a quick bite to eat (either the food court or the nearby McDonald's? Is that close to All Stars?), we are off on the bus to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I am hoping I allocated enough time to get from the airport to the hotel to the park; it opens at 9 AM, and we’ll get there as soon as possible. For our very FIRST ride in Disney World, we will use our FP at Flight of Passage, I am planning on a return time between 9 and 10 AM. Next up, we will do standby for Na’Vi River Journey, before heading for our Expedition Everest FP for between 10 and 11 AM. Then, we will wait standby for the Festival of the Lion King, possibly grabbing a snack beforehand. In a perfect world, this will coordinate perfectly with a 12:30ish FP for the Kilimanjaro Safari. After this, we will either end our time at the park with lunch at Satu'li Canteen, or squeeze in the Kali River Rapids before we eat.

I am hoping that we wrap up our time at Animal Kingdom by 2 PM, and at that time are on the bus to Epcot. While I’m not sure how the same-day FP booking system works, I am planning on trying for FPs at Test Track, Soarin’, and Spaceship Earth. With a little bit of pixie dust, preferably an evening FP at Frozen Ever After. Even without FP’s, these are the four must-do attractions I have for Epcot. Eventually we will make our way over to the World Showcase, snacking our way through each country and the Festival of Holidays booths. Question for the audience: would you suggest picking out a WS counter service, or will we be okay just eating as we go? Finally, at about 9 PM I plan on finding seats for Illuminations, with the show starting at 9:30 PM. Afterwards, we will make our way out of Epcot and back to All Stars for a good night’s sleep before another fun-filled day!

Day 3: Wednesday

This will be our last full day in Disney World, and we are going to make the most of it! First things first, the bus to Disney’s Hollywood Studios for a 9 AM park opening. Just like our Flight of Passage strategy, the plan is to have a FP for Slinky Dog Dash between 9 and 10 AM. We will further explore Andy’s Backyard, hopefully getting on standby for Toy Story Mania and Alien Swirling Saucers. Between 10 and 11 AM, I am planning on a FP for Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith; and another FP for Tower of Terror as close to immediately after as I can get. Next, we will tie up any “loose ends” from Toy Story Land/ this area of the park, and if the wait is relatively short we will make Star Tours our last ride in DHS. However, it is a take-it-or-leave-it, as our Star Tours in Disneyland is exactly the same.

At this point, I am hoping it’ll be between 1 and 2 PM, and we’ll be on the bus to MAGIC KINGDOM. This is the castle I have waited my whole life to see, and I am so excited to get to have a “first time at Disney” experience in this park (as I was only 4 my first trip to Disneyland and don’t remember all the first-time feelings). Our first destination? FOOD. I am planning for us to make a beeline to Be Our Guest for a late lunch, hopefully having an ADR; if not, we will wait it out. This is a quintessentially Disney experience that I can’t wait to enjoy. Side note: this night is evening Extra Magic Hours from 9-11 PM, which we are planning to take full advantage of. So, any rides we don’t get to before fireworks, we will hit during EMH. After eating, I am hoping to have a same-day FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train lined up (is this even possible?) OR just waiting standby, as this ride is unique to WDW and definitely on my list of must-do’s. In Fantasyland, I also want to check out the Florida version of it’s a small world, before hitting the Liberty Square section of the park. I’d love to see Festival of Fantasy at 3 PM as well, possibly from Frontierland. In order, these are the attractions I’m planning for the afternoon, either same-day FP or standby: Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jungle Cruise. I also have Columbia Harbor House planned for dinner at some point. If there’s time before fireworks, we will do Space Mountain and the Peoplemover, hopefully with a same-day FP for Space. At around 8 PM, we will grab dessert and find some prime seats for Happily Ever After, which is set to start at 9. After the show, our first order of business will be to hit Tomorrowland (in the case that we didn’t get to it before fireworks), and the rest of the night I have a loose plan for us to ride as much as possible until the end of EMH. After all is said and done, it will be a sad “see ya real soon” to Magic Kingdom, before heading back towards the All Stars.

Day 4: Thursday

While our adventures in the park are over, our Florida adventure is not! We will be up bright and early once again for either a shuttle ride or flight to Miami. I am hoping to get a big breakfast in one of the WDW resorts or Disney Springs (any suggestions?) before either hopping on the Magical Express or catching an Uber to a shuttle pickup. Any experience getting from WDW to Miami would be greatly appreciated. We will have two days in Miami (Thursday and Friday) to explore and watch the tournament before flying back to California early on Saturday morning.

Thanks for reading this update, and stay tuned for the next installment!

:tink:Have a magical day!

Last edited:
Hi Kassidy! How exciting to be planning your first trip to WDW - my first trip was only a few years ago but you'll be hooked! Over the past three years we've been to Disneyland five times and WDW three times (with trips #4 and #5 already planned/booked).

While I’m not sure how the same-day FP booking system works, I am planning on trying for FPs at Test Track, Soarin’, and Spaceship Earth. With a little bit of pixie dust, preferably an evening FP at Frozen Ever After.

For same day FP's, you can only grab one at a time after you've used up your initial three. I've found same-day FP's for Test Track, although it's been rare (just keep refreshing on the app, and hope to get lucky!) Since you're familiar with Disneyland though - Radiator Springs is so much better than Test Track in my opinion. Soarin' is one we've typically had no problem getting same-day FP's for - again, just keep refreshing that app! It is the exact same ride as in California though. Spaceship Earth typically doesn't have too crazy of a standby line, so that one won't be an issue to get on that day.

I don't know if we've ever managed to get Frozen Ever After the day of - but maybe you can get lucky!

Finally, at about 9 PM I plan on finding seats for Illuminations, with the show starting at 9:30 PM.

Illuminations can be viewed from pretty much anywhere around World Showcase, I've never had an issue getting a decent viewing spot close to showtime.

if the wait is relatively short we will make Star Tours our last ride in DHS. However, it is a take-it-or-leave-it, as our Star Tours in Disneyland is exactly the same

I'd skip Star Tours and head to Magic Kingdom :) As you mentioned, it is the exact same ride as in California.

I am planning for us to make a beeline to Be Our Guest for a late lunch, hopefully having an ADR; if not, we will wait it out.

I don't think they accept walk-ups, no matter how long you're willing to wait. Anytime I've been there checking in, they are turning people away who try to get in without a reservation. You said December for this trip, so you're already in the window for booking ADR's - just keep checking everyday! In my opinion, lunch is the best meal there, so good call on that!

After eating, I am hoping to have a same-day FP for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train lined up (is this even possible?)

This is another one I don't think I've ever seen day-of. At Disneyland, especially with Maxpass, we can easily get 9-10+ Fastpasses per day. At WDW we typically only do our initial 3 and then 1-2 more. It's very different.

I also want to check out the Florida version of it’s a small world

Unless you really love the ride, I'd skip this. The facade is so much more impressive in California! It's just kind of tucked into a wall in Florida.

In order, these are the attractions I’m planning for the afternoon, either same-day FP or standby: Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Jungle Cruise.

I prefer Splash Mountain in Florida, I like the side-by-side seats and the story seems to be more cohesive. Big Thunder and Pirates are much better in California (I love that dynamite sequence in BTMR at Disneyland!).

What dates will you be there? Hopefully you have an amazing time!

Hi Kassidy! How exciting to be planning your first trip to WDW - my first trip was only a few years ago but you'll be hooked! Over the past three years we've been to Disneyland five times and WDW three times (with trips #4 and #5 already planned/booked).]

How exciting! I've actually enjoyed reading your dining and trip reports, so I'm so happy you are here to follow along! I'm so excited to get to experience all 6 parks in the US, and hope this is the first of many more trips. Congratulations on your Disney wedding, it looked amazing! That is my dream for when I get there in life, haha.

[For same day FP's, you can only grab one at a time after you've used up your initial three. I've found same-day FP's for Test Track, although it's been rare (just keep refreshing on the app, and hope to get lucky!) Since you're familiar with Disneyland though - Radiator Springs is so much better than Test Track in my opinion. Soarin' is one we've typically had no problem getting same-day FP's for - again, just keep refreshing that app! It is the exact same ride as in California though. Spaceship Earth typically doesn't have too crazy of a standby line, so that one won't be an issue to get on that day.]

I don't know if we've ever managed to get Frozen Ever After the day of - but maybe you can get lucky!

The FP system seems similar to Maxpass at DLR, which I love. My plan is to check in the app often, as you suggested. I appreciate the insight on this system. And I mainly want to ride Spaceship Earth just to say I went on "the Epcot ball ride".

Illuminations can be viewed from pretty much anywhere around World Showcase, I've never had an issue getting a decent viewing spot close to showtime.

Awesome! I'm used to lining up early for World of Color/ Fantasmic/ fireworks, haha!

I'd skip Star Tours and head to Magic Kingdom :) As you mentioned, it is the exact same ride as in California.

Great to know, thanks!

I don't think they accept walk-ups, no matter how long you're willing to wait. Anytime I've been there checking in, they are turning people away who try to get in without a reservation. You said December for this trip, so you're already in the window for booking ADR's - just keep checking everyday! In my opinion, lunch is the best meal there, so good call on that!

I plan to use the Touring Plans dining finder, and to keep checking the boards/ the dining website; it's the only restaurant I really want to eat at. I can't believe they don't even offer walk-ups... that is so different from Land!

This is another one I don't think I've ever seen day-of. At Disneyland, especially with Maxpass, we can easily get 9-10+ Fastpasses per day. At WDW we typically only do our initial 3 and then 1-2 more. It's very different.

Since we have our EMH time, I'm banking on either the possible FP or just waiting it out.

Unless you really love the ride, I'd skip this. The facade is so much more impressive in California! It's just kind of tucked into a wall in Florida.

Good to know! I didn't know if it was anything different than our version.

I prefer Splash Mountain in Florida, I like the side-by-side seats and the story seems to be more cohesive. Big Thunder and Pirates are much better in California (I love that dynamite sequence in BTMR at Disneyland!).

Since we'll have the most time in MK, I'm hoping to just ride as much as possible. As a Disney parks fiend I am looking forward to finding the differences between the same rides.

What dates will you be there? Hopefully you have an amazing time!

Our park days are December 18th and 19th. Thank you so much for the awesome advice!!

Oops... I'm still trying to figure out how to format replies here. But I responded to all of the helpful advice as given!

It sounds like you have a very fun trip planned!

After check-in, storing our luggage, and a quick bite to eat (either the food court or the nearby McDonald's? Is that close to All Stars?),

I think it's a little closer to All Star Sports than Movies, I'm guessing a 5 minute walk from the closest buildings?

I am hoping to get a big breakfast in one of the WDW resorts or Disney Springs (any suggestions?)

If you have the time, I love the breakfast at 'Ohana, it's so much fun! Another option at the Polynesian is Kona Cafe - get that Tonga Toast :)

It sounds like you have a very fun trip planned!

I think it's a little closer to All Star Sports than Movies, I'm guessing a 5 minute walk from the closest buildings?

If you have the time, I love the breakfast at 'Ohana, it's so much fun! Another option at the Polynesian is Kona Cafe - get that Tonga Toast :)

Sounds awesome! I've thought about Kona, 'Ohana looks so good for dinner so maybe next trip! Thanks for the tips on All Stars!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter