For those folks driving!

We will be driving to WDW for the second time this year. Call us crazy. Thanks for the site information. It is always helpful to see tips on how to make it a safe and enjoyable trip! Also a good way to make sure you remember to pack essentials!

Thanks! Safe driving to everyone!

Thanks for the link. As of now, we are still planning on driving for our first time (I did it many years ago - I was not the driver but a a passernger). My oldest son might fly - not sure yet. I am trying to convince him to try it once - it also does not pay to rent a car for 10 nights. He hates to drive it and I hate to fly.

I am not sure who is putting together that particular information, and I have posted this before, but I think it is worth repeating. There is a playground just off I-95 in N. MD. It is a GODSEND if you are coming from further north and need a break. Lots of food places nearby and bathrooms. Here are the directions.

Route 24 in Bel Air, head west about 4 miles to a left on Ring Factory Road, there is a large (HUGE) wooden playground on the corner and a few miles down the road is a large selection of food and/or gas stations.

Oh I hope you add more info, we are coming from central Texas for the first time and have no idea how long it will really take...

we have always driven I hate to fly and my family isnt too happy about it either/ It can be horrible or not to bad depending. what I would like to know we have always gone down I-95 we are coming from NE Pa. once we we went donw 81 and cut over somewhere below the Blue Ridge Mountains it was a nicer trip any suggestions for a better route or any tips would be appreciated:wave2: :chat: :yo-yo: ::MickeyMo

faeriekisses,

We go that way from CT.

I-84 to Scranton, PA, pick up I-81 to I-64 in Roanoke, VA to I-95 and straight down to Disney.

Last year we stayed on I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95. It was a smooth and beautiful drive.

We will go the other way I first mentioned this April. We will bypass NY, NJ & DC.

Ever go this way??

Mickeydad:wave2:

We are doing our second drive from MA and we took 95 the whole way on a Friday of Easter weekend 2003. Not good.
Others that I know will only take the 95 route on a weekend and leave at 5-6am. (I will do that this year) On the way back we took I-95 to I-26 to I-77 to I-81. I agree it was a smooth drive with zero traffic. I think it is about 90 miles more but worth it to avoid NJ turnpike, Deleware Bridge and DC.

Hi Haley B!! I used to live in OKC, we would take I-35 to Dallas, then head across, and it took us about 24 hours. We did not have kids at this time, so we didnt have to stop for potty breaks, or other kid stuff. good luck, and drive careful:D

Hello all.

My name is Craig and I am driving my family for the first time to Disney.
Anyone come from the New England area with small children have a good time frame for the trip as well as good places to stop for the night?

Thanks!

cmonroe,

we live in CT. my kids are DS7 & DD10. we drove down last April. we are leaving at 6pm on April 14th. will sleep in VA. and finish drive on the 15th.

we are bypassing NY & NJ by going I-84 to scranton, pa. we will pick up I-81, connecting with I-64 that will bring us over to I-95 in richmond, va.

we like going at 6pm (after rush hour). the kids usually fall asleep around 9:30p-10p. i'll drive for a few more hours. get a room around 1am.

wake up and continue trip around 6am.

we should be in orlando around 4pm.

I missed that detail up above. No need to answer this. Sorry for the trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------

Where do you catch 64? Is it near Harrisonburg?

Thanks.

What part of VA do you stay in where it is only 10 hours to Orlando?
Also, do you make any stops in that period, or is that straight?

Also, thanks, your info is really helping me guage my trip.

I have an infant and a 3 yr old, so I will have to make more stops, but the plan is to leave Massachusetts early Saturday Morning (about 3 am) drive your route I-84 to I-81 to I-64 into VA. It looks like from your experience that it takes you 7 hours to get from Conn. to VA. to catch a hotel. That means that if I leave Mass at 3 am, that would give me plenty of time to get to VA. with many stops for the children and then to get a hotel Saturday night.

Then depart early on Sunday (by your experience it takes you from 6 am to 4pm to arrive in Orlando, thats 10 hrs) drive again with a number of stops to arrive in Georgia or Florida to get a hotel Sunday night.

Then wake up Monday morning with a short drive to arrive in Orlando for check in.

don't know. we'll stop whenever i get tired. pick the first available hotel.

Anyone ever driven from Michigan?

Just wondering if it is better to go through Georgia and stay on I75 or go through Indianapolis.

My Father in Law is a truck driver and says there is not much difference in time but the latter is probably the best route. Anyone have any ideas?

I haven't, however congrats on your first trip to WDW. You'll be officially hooked like the rest of us!

I live in Roanoke VA and it takes at least 11 hours and normally 12 (especially w/ kids) to get to Orlando. If you stayed in the Fort Chiswell area (right around where you get onto I-77), it would probably be about 10 hours from there (at the least). However, that is very close to the North Carolina line, so it would mean driving pretty much all the way through VA to stop.

I feel for you all that have to drive from up North. We divide the 12 hours into 2 days, which isn't so bad, but I wouldn't want to do much more. Last year when we went, we borrowed a small t.v./vcr and that was wonderful! I think DH and I enjoyed it as much as the kids! (Listening, not watching, of course!)

I love to fly, but the cost for flying out of Roanoke is so high and it isn't always convienent to go to other airports where it is cheeper.

W/ driving at least I can pack more!! I always pack too much, but better safe than sorry!!:sunny:

welovedisneyx4,
Where do you stop for the night?
We live in Portsmouth, Va and are doing the trip in Nov.
I think if we leave between 8-9 am we can make it to Savannah, Ga. in a reasonable amount of time (8 hrs w/stops). If anyone else has done a similar distance trip from VA. I would appreciate any estimated times for the trip and suggestions on hotels w/indoor heated pools.
Thanks alot
Jerry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!