For those folks driving!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Trekker, Jun 24, 2003.

1. LilyWDW

LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

So in May my best friend and I are driving from Indianapolis. We will be stopping in Valdosta, GA on the way down and then heading to Disney the next morning. So about 12 hours on day one and 3 hours on day two (though we are mentally adding time on that day one trip to account for bathroom and stretching breaks). Day one will be a long trip (starting out at 4 or 5 AM). What sort of snacks/meals do you all bring with you? We would rather not stop for food if at all possible or at least for the majority of the trip (so can grab fast food for lunch and will for sure get dinner when we arrive at the hotel area). Thanks!

2. jjjones325

jjjones325 Tar Heel Born and Tar Heel Bred

My family likes to bring along those peanut butter filled pretzels as they are usually pretty filling. DW swears by bananas, too, as she feels it's environmental to throw out the peeling and returning it to nature while going 76 MPH down I95. Once either she didn't throw it far enough or the wind hit it or something, but the next gas stop we noticed it was still clinginig to the back door.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. gratefulfred

gratefulfred Mouseketeer

I'm from the philly suburbs (bucks county) and I leave this Friday right at rush hour, waiting for my daughters school day to end. I'm not looking forward to traffic between Philadelphia and D.C. at that time but we are going to stop at some point get a place and finish the drive on Saturday. We don't check in to the poly till Sunday so we have a little extra time, but I would like to be in Orlando Saturday night. If I remember I'll update

deedeew80 likes this.
  5. deedeew80

deedeew80 Dreaming of My Prince

Yes, please update when you can! Have a safe trip!!

6. mckennarose

mckennarose Always planning the next trip.....

Have a safe trip! I am a little farther north than you are and I know what you mean about the traffic between Philly and DC. We avoid it at all costs and usually jump on I-95 below DC . You might want to keep an eye on the I-95 exit guide for exits that are closed on your way down . I know that I saw a few in Georgia that were still closed today.

7. JoCoSelma

JoCoSelma Earning My Ears

We plan on taking a 2 day beach break in Daytona Beach in October before visiting the mouse!

8. gratefulfred

gratefulfred Mouseketeer

Ok so we started driving at 4:40 pm on Friday and drove till 1 am and stopped for the night we made it to Wilson North Carolina. Let's see how we do tomorrow.

deedeew80 likes this.
  9. deedeew80

deedeew80 Dreaming of My Prince

Sounds like you are making good time!! Hopefully you will make it there around the time you are anticipating! Safe travels!

10. bluezy

bluezy DIS Veteran

How was the traffic between Philly & DC at that time of the day? We always feel like once we're past Richmond, it's clear sailing but the traffic in Wilmington, Baltimore, DC, & Richmond can be horrendous at times (and non-existent at others).

11. gratefulfred

gratefulfred Mouseketeer

Between Philadelphia and Washington it was bad after that great nothing really slowed us down we got here around 7 o'clock last night and checked in to the poly this morning

bluezy and deedeew80 like this.
  12. gratefulfred

gratefulfred Mouseketeer

Boo we are back home now, so we left the poly some where around 10:30 to 11:00 am on Saturday morning and drove straight through, we got home in a suburb just north of philly at 3:40 am on Sunday. It was a great trip

deedeew80 likes this.
  13. ParrotBill

ParrotBill Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me

We like to make sandwiches, like tuna or PB&J, and bring fruit, like tangerines, grapes or whatever is in season. Cookies and candy for quick hit energy. Most important is COLD drinks. Good for fighting fatigue. Pack a cooler with ice and water, soda, juice.

14. Santa

Santa DIS Veteran

We usually have Dew or Dr. Pepper, trail mix (dried fruit, nuts, M&M's. I like to mix the Tropical fruit & nut mixes.), peanut butter crackers or pretzels in the car. We stop at drive-thru places and eat there.

15. LilyWDW

LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

Thank you both for your insight. We want to be sure to have enough food for the drive down since it is not a drive we are experienced with and don't want to risk getting into an area without many options (I have food allergies and restrictions so have a small set of fast food choices that are okay). We will be driving during breakfast and lunch, aiming to get into the hotel we are staying at overnight about 5 or 6 that evening. We already know where we will be eating that evening. We have a trip planning session in a couple weeks so can discuss it a bit more.

16. ParrotBill

ParrotBill Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me

Here's another few ideas for long trip planning.
    1. I subscribe to "The Next Exit", an online database of businesses at each exit of the Interstate Road System. I can easily look up rest areas, food, gas, drug stores etc. along my drive. It's not very expensive for a year, just $10. They have a print book option too.
    2. Use Google Maps and pick various intersections along your route - zoom in and take note of restaurants and gas stations.
    3. Use Gas Buddy to find best priced gas but it's tricky to look ahead on your route. Look on a map to find the town names ahead and search by town name. Sometimes you zoom past the exit before you figure out the gas situation there!