• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For those just back - what did you think of Grinchmas?

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
We will be visiting IOA on Dec 29th to see the Grinchmas attractions and would like to hear from anyone who has seen them.

In particular I'm interested in the Grinch's Lair and the Grinch's dog, DD Sam is really curious as to what he looks like, does he have the reindeer antlers on? (She thinks he may be a real dog but surely not????)

Also, the Whobilation shows and tree lighting, anyone seen them, I would love to hear all about it! :D

We were at IOA on Saturday 12/01/01. Our daughters are 9 and 12. We did not spend a whole lot of time in Suess Land. We did go into the Grinch's Lair and got about 5 or 6 pictures of the girls with the Grinch. There is also a Universal photographer in there but we never stopped to see how their pictures turned out. We never saw Grinch's dog in there or anywhere else. The park opened at 9:00 and we finally got to the Lair at about 10:00 and then had about a 5-10 minute wait until it was our turn for the pictures. The Grinch was great. He knew exactly what to say to push their buttons. They talked about him the rest of the day. Right before we left, he asked them what there names were. Before they could tell him their names, he said "Forget it, I don't care what your names are. Get out of here". They were speachless.

We were not there for the tree lighting. They did have a spot over behind the Cat in the Hat ride with finely crushed ice on the ground that looked like snow. The pictures really do look like they are standing in snow.

Right behind the snow, there is a little bobsled ride for 9 year olds and younger. You climb up a couple flights of stairs and then sit in a little bob sled and come down a chute. My 9 year old thought that it was pretty neat but did not feel like riding it more than once.

The decorations were really really neat. The Christmas tree is not a straight tree. It has a big bend in it. Christmas music is playing in this area all day and when we came through it at closing time, the lights made it look just incredible.

I wish I had more information for you but since it was our first time there, our daughters got caught up in coaster fever, so we spent most of our time at the other areas of the park.

I did post a trip report yesterday but if you have any other questions, fire away. Eric

I went for a short visit on 12/1. Every inch of Seuss Landing (except for perhaps the backway) is decked out in Christmas decorations. I went to WDW and Sea World too and Seuss Landing puts them to shame.

I watched a bit of the preshow to the Whoville stage show. IT was a doo-bop group. I guess they borrowed the cast from 4 Girls Only at USF. :)

Last year, they did have Max, the real dog from the movie...we are going on Tuesday, I will let you know then, if someone hasn't before.

Thanks so much for this information, it all sounds so great! :D

And there was I telling DD Sam that no way will there be a REAL dog! :rolleyes: Webray, I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know whether Max is there or not on your visit, thanks :D

Anyone else been to Grinchmas? I would love to hear your experiences! :D

Hi Mazzy,
Max IS there for a couple of the acts of the WhoBilation - not sure if it was all 3, but it was definitely acts 1 and 3 and in the third, he was wearing an antler, which he didn't seem to like as he kept rubbing his head on Cindy Luu's leg - trying to get it off!!! :rolleyes: His trainer squats in front of him on the ground in front of the stage...and he doesn't really do anything but sit there, but he's SO cute! ;)
I thought the Whobilation was really cute, but VERY short - it's in 3 acts and I think they run it through twice a day (acts 1,2,3 and then they repeat them). The final act of the day ends with the tree lighting as well. The tree is very pretty, and very Who-like :D (VERY large, lots of decorations, lights and it's crooked!)
Get there early for each Whobilation act, they have the do-wop singing before that, and they're good, they add little Who-like twists to songs you know ;) . Kids usually sit on the ground in front of the stage which works out well...in fact, I usually sat on the ground too, in the back of the kids. The characters are dressed up alot like in the movie, some of them complete with that really odd "Who" face! Some of the characters interact with the audience during the show...and they can be found playing in the street between performances too! (I had CindyLuu's dad directly behind me, pretending to not be looking at me (you know, he'd poke me with his candy cane and I'd turn and look at him and he'd look away quickly!:D ) )
The Grinch is AWESOME...the makeup is great...and the mannerisms...everything...VERY well done! We went into the Grinches lair, it's a tunnel of sorts with props and such from the movie...the movie is playing (or at least clips) within' the lair. The Grinch in person was awesome (I mean, he's great on stage...but the character greet was VERY funny!) - he is extremely funny, and keeps the character VERY well! The comment about him asking the girls names in an earlier post, and then saying, "never mind, I don't care what your names are" is pretty much right on! The photographer told him and the kids to smile and his response was "get a life!!!" :eek: VERY enjoyable, I could have spent the day watching him interact! They do allow you to take photos, and they have someone also take photos and you can view them right away in the shop.
As for the Mt.Crumpit....well...the ride consists of an inflatable raft going down about a 50 foot (it's short, put it that way) "slide" (it's supposed to be snow) It has a very soft incline, and your total height that you "drop" (for lack of a better word) is about maybe 15 feet. As a result, the ride is very slow, with some kids having to work themselves off of it as they get stuck about 10 feet from the bottom. Don't wait in the line if it's long...go back, because it's very slow and honestly...I can't see it being worth it. Listening to people around me, most of them commented on how "lame" it was (from a ride standpoint) and how it should have been a steeper incline or something - I never once saw a kid get off of it and yell "again, again!"if you catch my "drift":rolleyes: They have to hose it off constantly, to keep people from getting stuck, and even that doesn't work well. The snow area is cute, but really, just an area with crushed ice...my boys enjoyed playing in it tho...it really is neat to see that sort of thing and play in it in Florida! :D Very festive and nicely decorated tho. Good photo ops!

The overall theme tho of Grinchmas is awesome, very well decorated, and the Grinch, to me...is definitely the highlight. I think as a tip on busier days, I would avoid the Mt. Crumpit play area and/or Grinches lair directly after a Whobilation, as I'm sure that's when they're the busiest...especially the lair!

I hope this wasn't too long and boring...It's really a VERY cool Who-liday experience!!! The best part is that it's so different from the "norm" if you know what I mean! ;)
Have fun!
Karen

Gosh Karen, thanks so much for that wonderful description, and no it wasn't too long, I enjoyed reading every bit of it! :D It all sounds really great, we can't wait to get there, it will be our first visit to IOA and I'm pretty sure we will be spending most of our time in the Grinchmas section!

Thanks again for posting :D

We met the Grinch too. He was hilarious. He said "pleased to meet ya, now buzz off".When we were leaving the lair, he ran after us and said "pardon me...but if you see the mayor...TELL HIM I DEMAND A RECOUNT...THAT ELECTION WAS FIXED I TELL YOU...FIXED!!!!".

I was there last week and my one complaint about the Whobilation was the way they did the three acts of it. I can't remember the exact times, but the general idea was, Act 1 - 12:00, Act 2 - 1:00, Act 3 - 2:00. So to see the whole show, you had to stay in Suessland for hours, or run back and forth across the park the whole day. The one Act I was able to see was very enjoyable. Much more enjoyable in my opion than any of the Christmas shows I saw at Disney (shh, don't tell Mickey!)

Dawnie

I went IOA yesterday and saw GM. I thought it was a bit more organized than last years event. Since Universal is begging in advertisments that you "can meet the Grinch", therefore, you can meet him alright. I was not able to see him last year since it was so poorly organized to see him, but I was this time. Insane character interaction and personality. I wish that every character that roams around Universal are given the same attention like the Grinch. I am still upset with the Rugrats characters poor interaction, so Universal should learn from that. I don't care how obscure they might be now, but they are more than a guy/gal in a suit. The "character" must be in all walkaround characters.

Anyways, even with the greater organization of meeting the Grinch, Grinchmas has not really changed that much from last year. However, as a single male without children, I am still disgusted with the fact that you must be 9 or under to play with shaved ice (that's "snow") and drop down Mt Crumpet.

Well, I guess I will go next year (if its held) since I went last year after my finals and the same time this year. This being a Universal forum and me leaning naturally towards Disney theme parks, I feel that this event has some heart, but doesn't compare to more extravagant offerings like the Candlelight Processional and Festival of Lights. Otherwise, each to his/her own.:D

well they just wanted it geared toward little kids and so that they would have a long line. Same thing with P-flyers over in JP.

Mazzy,
I thought I'd report back that Max is sometimes in the lair with the Grinch too!!! He wasn't there the first time the kids and I saw the Grinch, but then I stopped in by myself one day, and he was there. The Grinch yelled at me for patting him, then allowed me. I asked Max how he ended up "with a Grinch" and the Grinch told me "he didn't like me, he didn't like me one bit!" and asked me to leave...well he TOLD me to leave! :rolleyes:

I didn't let it get to me, considering the source! Now if Spidey said that to me, I'd probably lock myself in my room and down a few dozen bon-bon's and wash it down with some really strong egg-nog!!! :D :D :D Yea...THAT would fix him!!! :rolleyes:

Karen

We loved Grinchmas. On our trip, IOA was our first stop and it really got us in the Christmas spirit. The cast in the shows really do a great job in betwen shows to mingle with the crowd. We saw them in stores and resturants.

Plan your day around the three act show!!

I Loved Who-ville, It was the high lite of our trip !!!! My girls ages 6,7,8 and 12 wanted to go everyday and so didnt I. LOL

Have fun !!!!
:D

I didn't read the rest of the replies (too lazy ;) ) so this might be a repeat. We were there for the first time on December 9th. It is just me and my husband....no kiddies and my favorite was suess landing. The park opened at 9:00 and the Grinches Lair was the first thing we did. There was only a few people ahead of us. The Grinch was funny....he kept ripping on my husband for carrying a book bag. The picture they take is not that great...I wish I would of took a pic with my camera.....we were green also, with some yellow in there too.....just not good quality.....so I was disappointed with that. When we came back through later the wait for the Lair was about 30 minutes so go early.
Saw Act 1 and wish I could of watched the rest of the Acts it was so cute but couldn't keep going back to Suess landing.

I really wanted to see the Cat in the Hat and ended up seeing him on the way out!! I was so happy!
have fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter