For those of you who are nervous about your upcoming trips

Bichon Barb

<font color=darkorchid>Mmmmm. French fries. Oh to
We just got home from a week's stay on Wednesday, so here is MHO.

Get yourselves down there and enjoy! We were on "Operation Ignorance is Bliss". This means that while on vacation, you are not allowed to read the NY Times, the Orlando Sentinal, or any other new publication. You are not allowed to watch CNN, MSNBC, FOX News or any local news programming. You are only allowed to watch the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon or Survivor ;) . Oh, you may even watch the Orangemen beat St. John's or even Notre Dame (why don't these boards have a bouncey orange guy?)

I confess, we did slip and click over to the Weather Channel. This gave us false hope that would be "stuck" in Orlando for an extra day or two. Unfortunately, the airports reopened by the time we departed :mad: .

Have a great time!

We arrived home last Sunday from our 9 day trip to Disney. I was really nervous about being there and almost cancelled our trip. The threat level's were raised right as we were getting ready to head out.
I did read the headlines of the front page everyday though. If something were happening, I wanted to know. Once I walked through the gates, magic took over and I forgot about the outside world. Can't wait to be back again.

We also just returned from 10 days in Florida, 7 of them at Disney.

It was 10 days of stress free Magic. We felt safe everywhere we went.

Sounds like a great plan to me. I know I should know what's going on while I'm there, but I really don't want to. We all need to "get away" from it all sometimes. Its been such a sad week in the news. Magic...here we come
::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

We went to WDW 7 months after 9/11 and I didn't think of ANYTHING except having fun. Being in WDW does that to me! S

We were there the last time the alert level was raised (sept 2002) and I tried not to watch too much CNN. We enjoyed keeping our heads in the sand. :)

We're going again next week & I'm getting worried about it, but what can you do?

thats a good idea... for some reason my parents can never get away from the news... its very annoying when we are trying to go out and meet the mouse.

Okay, Okay, I confess. My DH's parents came to stay with us for a couple of nights on Sunday. He told me that we were on the highest terror alert. That night we went for our night alone to CG. We had to show our drivers licenses to guard at the parking gate at Contemporary. I told DH about the raised alert. Dumb! Now we were both bummed. We soon forgot, however, as we began our "monorail happy hour". :bounce:

Hello Tripletdad. Don't forget, Michigan (I think) at 2:00 p.m. today. I haven't gotten the basketball fever in years, but this team is so much fun to watch!

We also just got back from a week in the world on Saturday. Before we left I drove my husband crazy with my fears about what "could happen." What made it worse for me was my 16YO DS was frightened as well (read too many stories on the internet.) There is nothing that compares to seeing fear in the eyes of your own children. My husband insisted that we go and I am so glad that he did. Although I was extremely uptight the day we left I can honestly say that once we were down there it rarely even entered my mind and I always felt very safe. I'm glad we went especially because of the lesson I hope we taught our son. Unfortunately he will have to live in a world that has changed forever. Hopefully he learned last week that you must continue to live your life to the fullest.:) So for those of you who are nervous about an upcoming trip try to relax and realize that when you get there the magic will overtake you and you will have a truly wonderful time!!!

That is what vacation is for. we never, ever watch the news or read the paper. Whenever we go on vacation outside of Disney, the resorts we stay at never have a television in the room! Who needs it, and who cares, we don't even miss it! The only reason I wear a watch in Disney is so we do not miss our dinner reservations

I must admit that we are nervous about leaving home
and flying from Canada to Orlando.

Just get me there and I'll do my best to ignore the
outside world!! The wait is doing us in.

Hi-we are just back from 2/14-2/18. Husband and I talked about this when the alert went up, this will sound awful but we believe you can get killed suddenly anywhere-you might as well be at Disney! (For example, isn't it amazing that NO ONE on the ground got hurt from the debris from the Columbia-some of the pieces were huge) We didn't watch news at all during our stay-just the weather for getting back home.

Epcot was pretty empty for a president's Day Weekend. We never waited more than 20 minutes for a ride. I was happy for us, but worried for Disney as a business. They checked us out when we parked at the Swan but I figured it was to keep non hotel guests out!

One of the visitors was rude in front of me to the CM at the France pavilion. Very Non-disney-he had gone through the doors to sit down before we were supposed to-she brought him back out and he commented, "She wouldn't have done that if I was German". I was shocked. I don't think she heard what he said.

Our last trip in 2000, the following happened: We all went back to the hotel for a nap because it was pouring buckets outside. I was the first to wake up, so I turned on the TV. CNN. And what's the "Breaking News"? "Hostage Crisis at WDW". I was freaking, wondering where it was, as we were staying at ASMu. Turns out it was the Boardwalk. What a crazy time. Helicopters flying low, cops all over - in the World.

I will NOT turn on the news on this next trip. I want to be cut off from reality completely.;)

"She wouldn't have done that if I was German".

What does that even mean ??? Was that supposed to be a reference to the political situation? Pretty lame, if you ask me...
I've seen some pretty rude guests before, and few of them ever seem to be able to put together an intelligible comment. Why is that?
Steve: "Sir, please step out of the flower bed."
Guy standing on several defenseless pansies behind a fence *for no apparent reason: "I payed alot of money to be here!"

Huh?

(sorry for going off-topic...)

Steve, I had to laugh at your last post. (Not laughing at you, but at the remark that bozo made.)

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I would have loved you to come back with something like:

Steve: "No Sir. You paid a lot of money to be standing here [pointing at the pavement]. You are, however, going to be paying a lot more money in fines if you decide to stay where you are."

My hat is off to you, Steve. I know that we, the public, can be a handfull sometimes. I think during my next trip to WDW, I'm going to go out of my way to appreciate the Cast Members at WDW.

We left for WDW the day the alert was raised to extreme and on the radio they were warning people to be vigilant especially in tourists areas ( hotels, parks , etc ) but we decided not to let it bother us, if something happened we were in the happiest place in earth! We watched the news the little bit of time we spent in the hotel room but did not let it bother us. We had a grand time!

I'm not worried. The only thing that would worry me is how I was going to get back home to help DH with the dogs. I got to drive for a few hours in the middle of the night coming home one year. It is not something I would want to do again. I hate being on strange roads and I always manage to take the wrong exits.
I think I'd give it a few days, though. ;)

For anyone who has driven home going north:
Honey, there's the turnpike. Oh wait, that exit goes south, we want the next exit, it should be marked with a "turnpike north" sign.

We took the scenic route home, can you tell?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter